MK7 GTI Blade Fender Interest?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Does anyone else have any interest in a TDI version of the fender badges on the MK7 GTI? I have scoured the internet today and only found a generic Volkswagen version on Aliexpress.

They might work to satisfy my desire to have a set but I would really like a TDI version of the OEM GTI fender badge

I have emailed a few places that do custom badges to see if they can make a set and there seems to be two issues. The first is many places will only accept around a 300 piece minimum orders. The second, is that the places that will do a single set of OEM style badges are looking for $200 to $300 for the set. I do not want them badly enough to spend that kind of money.

Does anyone else here have any interest in a set? there might not be 150 people interested to justify a 300 piece order but maybe there is enough interest to get the price down to something reasonable. The only catch is that the set is mirrored so these companies may or may not treat each side as a separate order requiring their own minimum.

Does anyone here have the capability to make these?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
From the places that do the 200-300pc runs what are the batch prices? Maybe you could have them do a run, take 1 or 2 for yourself, and open up shop on flea-bay for the remaining pieces?

From the shop that'll do a single for $200 when you think about it it's not too crazy....there is (time) design, material, machine set-up, production, and finish......for a one-off which will always be a premium.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I emailed one company about doing a run to see what their prices are. I wouldn't be opposed to opening up shop on ebay with these but I want to make sure there is a market for them before I'm stuck with a couple hundred fender badges that nobody is interested in

As for the prices from the shops willing to do a single set, I completely agree that $200 is reasonable for their time and set up. I am not so sure I am willing to spend that kind of money on a set of badges.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Got one quote back. $250 set up fee for each side and $4.50 per unit with a 300 piece minimum. They didnt say if I needed a to order 300 of each so I would be looking at either $1800 or $3000

Arin@APR

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Jetta, MK5 GTI, B8 S4, MK7 Sportwagen TDI
Got one quote back. $250 set up fee for each side and $4.50 per unit with a 300 piece minimum. They didnt say if I needed a to order 300 of each so I would be looking at either $1800 or $3000
Did you ever end up doing this?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I almost went through with it but it was just too expensive and no guarantee on return. What i did do was modify some ebay badges and only spent about $20 total. Its not exactly what I wanted but its close enough.

I also wanted a set of fender knife badges that said TDI instead of GTI but they don't exist and would cost way more than I wanted to spend to get them custom made. Instead I modified a set of ebay badges that said Volkswagen. Originally they were a weird baby blue color that didnt fit with the rest of the badges. I stripped the original enamel and repainted them with a metallic blue. Not the best picture in the world but here it is. The photo makes it seem like the lettering is a bit messed up but its just a bit of road salt that I haven't washed off yet.