MK7 GSW trailer wiring

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Looking to install trailer wiring and I found the Curt 56360 for the MK7 GSW Alltrack looks remarkable similar to the Curt 56373 for the MK7 GSW which is no longer made. If the connectors are the same, I'd think it would be as simple as modifying the wiring on the Curt.

Curt 56360 (MK7 GSW Alltrack)

and Curt 56373

I'll be trying this out in the next few days. I'll post the results. I wasn't a fan of hacking into the factory wiring harness in anyway. On the MKIV I was able to connect to the pins on the back of the bulb housing, but it doesn't appear to be an option on the MK7.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I haven't wired either of ours for towing, but it's on the summer list- aren't there more options out there? I know Scott (Stealth TDI / Stealth GTI) used a Tekonsha (sp?), and I think I've seen others listed. Is the Curt unit preferable?

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
I haven't wired either of ours for towing, but it's on the summer list- aren't there more options out there? I know Scott (Stealth TDI / Stealth GTI) used a Tekonsha (sp?), and I think I've seen others listed. Is the Curt unit preferable?
I checked the Tekonsha website and didn't find anything for the 2015 Golf Sportwagen utilizing quick connects - it all seems to require modifying the cars wiring. The curt unit in theory should just be plug and play if the curt unit is modified.

I went with a Westfalia hitch.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I used the Tekonsha harness that clips over the wires, then I just bought a plug so I could just use the 12v outlet in trunk so I didn't have to run a power wire from battery, but that is on my list of eventual projects.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
There's a thread here somewhere that talks about modding the Tekonsha harness (the one that's designated for the 2015 Golf).
Don't have to do anything with the car's wiring, just had to move one wire on the harness.

Edit: Here's the thread.

Last edited:

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
Fyi, the one listed for the Alltrack works perfect on the MK7 GSW TDI without modification. Instead of running a wire to the battery I tapped into rear cig lighter wiring and grounded with a self tapping screw. The extent of the visible wiring is limited to 2 inches from the left-side removable trim to the hard plastic on the D pillar. All other wiring is under the trim pieces.

Last edited:

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
Curt 56360 (listed for MK7 GSW Alltrack) works for a MK7 GSW TDI without modification.

If anyone is interested in having a Westfalia put in with this harness, I'd be willing to do it for free I can put up a "how to". Having not done one before on a mk7 I found no great instructions for removing the bumper. Obviously owner supplies parts and beer ;)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Adding in a how-to post here is always appreciated, I think. Even if not today, there's going to be someone in the future looking for this kind of information.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
Adding in a how-to post here is always appreciated, I think. Even if not today, there's going to be someone in the future looking for this kind of information.
Agreed, as I have this same task ahead of me after my local hitch and rack shop punted and uninstalled/refunded me for the trailer wiring harness kit that they installed but could never get to work properly.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Thanks! I'll locate a Curt one #56360 and see if it works out. If it does, I'll sell my Tekonsha one....

Ktmracer358

TDI
2012 golf, 2013 jetta
I would be really interested to see this type of harness for the mk6 platform. I can’t seem to find one. And I would doubt this work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk