Mk7 GSW Rear Brakes...no shims(!?)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Did the rear brakes on a friend's GSW and was surprised that the rear brake pads look like dead ringers for the Mk4 rear pads; however, the box of new pads did not include those thin metal shims ("brake pad retainer springs" is what the Mk4 manual calls them), and the OEM pads that came off similarly didn't have those "springs". Parts diagram and repair procedure also don't mention the springs.
(Important note: I believe that these Mk4-lookalike brake pads are specific to the GSW with the torsion beam rear axle - which (at least on the two 2015 GSW TDIs I've worked on) have a 253mm rear rotor (Golf-Golf has 272mm rear rotor, I believe). The single-use M14 triple-square bolts (#3 in the diagram) that hold on the brake-pad carrier are also significantly shorter than the ones I've seen on other Mk5-6-7 cars I've worked on.)

The pads did have a 3M adhesive sticker on the backing plate, though (maybe that helps hold the pads from rattling around(?)).

Not sure I have a question here, but more of a....

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
its amazing how things change yet how much they stay the same.

Just wait youre next car will be an EV and then you'll have drums to worry about, lol.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The B5s do not have the shims, the A4s do... but the pads themselves are otherwise the same.

VAG is nuts with brake part numbers, both with pads AND rotors. Even if something is essentially the same, and often in the aftermarket it is, VAG will have different numbers applied to different things.

No idea why they do this, either.

Like right now, if I order Textar brand pads and rotors for the back of a regular A4 car, the pads carry an
8E0' prefix, which is some big Audi, and the rotors carry a '5Q0' prefix, which I think is one of the later smaller cars. Both those parts carried a '1J0' prefix when the car left the factory, and you can still look them up that way (my outdated ETKA still shows them like that) but they clearly applied a "newer" part number to them for whatever reason.

Because VAG has had so many models, many of which are not sold here, or are highly adapted updated versions of defunct platforms that are now sold in places like China or South America or Africa, the Typ coding has become pretty confusing to say the least.

The Typ 5Q I have no idea on, though. 5K is a Golf 6, 5M is a Golf Plus, 5N is the Tiguan, 5Z is the later Euro-market Fox... But I am pretty sure Typ 8E is some Audi model.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Typ 5Q I have no idea on, though. 5K is a Golf 6, 5M is a Golf Plus, 5N is the Tiguan, 5Z is the later Euro-market Fox... But I am pretty sure Typ 8E is some Audi model.
Based on my very limited understanding of the part numbering scheme (strictly from hunting down parts):
5Q0 is MQB platform - Golf 7
3Q0 also MQB, but newer (somehow?)
Anything beginning with an 8 started its life on on Audi

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Drums... our EV has disc brakes on all 4 corners, disc brakes that go unused, haha.
Same as our A3 e-tron (discs). And likewise, pretty much the only usage those brakes every see is the electronic parking brake actuator.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some of those periodically squeeze the pads slightly when the wipers are on, to keep the discs dry in case an emergency stop is required. Actually, lots of cars do that now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
that's coming standard on id.buggy don't worry!