Mk7 greasecar

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Not sure I want any more bio diesel after all the issues I've dealt with in heavy equipment and generators. Fortunately the b100 fad ran out of steam pretty quick. Never even heard of a fuel biocide till bio diesel became a thing. Then we had fuel polishing systems, and water block filters added to generators and pumps. What a pain, and terrible for the fuel system once the black algae starts growing. Still bad enough with the b20 we got around here. Oh it gells real quick in winter too. Way faster then regular diesel. That another set of issues all by itself. No thanks, at least till they come up with a better option.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I still hold out hope for some kind of synfuel that will keep diesels going without the use of fossil fuels.
It's not available around here, but HVO, aka hydrotreated vegetable oil, aka renewable diesel has nearly the exact same properties as ULSD. Except it lacks the aromatic hydrocarbons that provide lubricity, so it needs lubricity additives even more than ULSD.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Biodiesel is a bad idea for use cases where the fuel is going to sit for a period of time = gensets. I think people who use it in a fairly short period of time after delivery, algae isn't as much of an issue. I never had a problem with it.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I used to be able to get B99/100 at the pump at a dozen different locations without traveling too long a distance. Now I see a total of two stations in the entire state of WA, one in north Seattle and the other in West Seattle, neither that I consider convenient as they're 20-30 miles through heavy traffic.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Some of the renewable diesel being made at the BP Cherry Point refinery in WA should be available at pumps in WA at some point this year.