MK7 Golf Estate Review

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Not in the market any time soon. My wife's '13 GSW is too new, only 33k km. My Golf is paid for, 2011.

As for the e-brake. Thank God we won't be getting it. I had it on my Passat wagon. Froze up a couple of times in winter, dash lit up like a Christmas tree with brake fault, ABS and stability control warning lights. Happened once in a blizzard leaving me with no ABS or stability control. Fortunately it didn't require a trip to the dealer as it thawed in my garage, but what good is stability control and ABS if it won't work in a blizzard???

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
2015 Sportwagen

This is very likely my next car, not absolutely sure because I've not seen any detailed reviews that cover what I'm interested in. I would like a better idea of what its like to drive out on the highway on long cross country trips. Stuff like is it quiet, what kind of mileage does it get, is the seat still comfortable after a couple of hours. There is more I'd like to know of course but these are my make or break.

Anticipating my first trip Austin to Seattle with plenty of sight-seeing on the way.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Noise and seat comfort are pretty subjective. Noise numbers on the MKVI cars are within the average range for its category, but I feel the car is noisy. And seat comfort depends on what you find comfortable, your proportions versus the car's, and so on. I've been miserable in seats others fit fine, and vice versa.

When they're released you should go for an extended test drive to make sure you like it.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I test drove the 2015 GTI and sat in a few of those in different trims. It's a nice car, and I'd imagine it'd be a little softer suspension tuning and have a longer boot. Maybe in 2-3 yrs when the price comes down I'd look at it again, but for now, the 14 JSW is a pretty damn good car for the money.
Price comes down? ...ummmmm...maybe not. New Highline Golf stick in Toronto is hovering around 32K+++...not a wagon...I don't see the germans dropping prices anytime soon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golf TDIs did get less expensive in the US. We'll see if that includes the Sportwagen. I'm doubtful, as that's a very popular car here. Regardless, it's a lot more car and it's worth more than the current one, IMO.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Noise and seat comfort are pretty subjective. Noise numbers on the MKVI cars are within the average range for its category, but I feel the car is noisy. And seat comfort depends on what you find comfortable, your proportions versus the car's, and so on. I've been miserable in seats others fit fine, and vice versa.

When they're released you should go for an extended test drive to make sure you like it.
Agreed. The MarkVI Golf seats fit me well but I have heard several complaints from larger individuals who complain the bolsters are to tightly spaced.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Agreed. The MarkVI Golf seats fit me well but I have heard several complaints from larger individuals who complain the bolsters are to tightly spaced.

First off, I had to look up "Bolster"..

I fit great in the JSW seat and I like a seat that can hold me. But I could see a problem if I was a bigger boy. I don't care for the "flatter" type Passat seats and to be honest, the Passats I've had as loaners drove and felt boaty like my wife's Ford Taurus.

I do hope VW addresses the lumbar support in the MK7 Sportwagen. It's pretty meh on my JSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk