MK7 Golf Build

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Got around to pulling the injectors out in prep for install of the new ones. Seeing some buildup after only 2500 miles on the tips, cyl. 2 being the worst pictured here. Been noticing more blowby with this motor and contemplating a catch can, and now wondering if this is a potential by-product of said blowby.

And pic of the cam arrangement on this motor since I am needing to replace the cam cover that cracked in shipping.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Injectors are in and engine idles perfectly smooth and quiet! There's a tiny bit of white smoke at idle/coming away from a stop, and a good amount of black smoke when trying to accelerate at a light-moderate rate. Haven't put but a few miles on going up and down the road, and not wanting to get on the boost/power until I hear back from my tuner.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
It's great to hear that the bigger injectors are working as well as they are. I know the feeling when accelerating and seeing a decent soot cloud behind the car. Hopefully your tuner can dial in the tune for the new injectors to make the car not so smokey.

I can't wait to hear how it does once you get it dialed in or better yet, maybe a short video. ;)

Sleeping_Bag

TDI
'15 MK7 Golf Sportwagen
Hey! just discovered this thread today, got a wagen on bags that i put a cr190 in and was trying to find what cp3 pump you used so i can up the power a tad lol

Edit, also using a malone stage 3 tune with a 3 inch turbo back custom exhaust, thats in the middle of being welded together (just the piping to the mid is done lol so its dumps under the car) https://log.tunezilla.com/s/K5RgiJkr heres a 4th gear pull i did from 33mph to 102mph and have hit 37.5 psi boost

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
37psi would not be safe for that turbo I would think. Logs show 2bar net boost which is 29psi..seems more likely and is plenty on it's own. I'm sure it's a blast to drive!
As for the CP3, I got a R70 unit from 2micron way back when, pretty sure he's not making them any longer. The stock pump should be good to around 240hp if I'm not mistaken, but your stock injectors top out at 210! Don't sleep on an injector upgrade, unless you're wanting a CP3 for reliability. Darkside has their stage1 injector for about the same price as you could send your stockers over to S&S Diesel for an enlargement on them. Difference is you get a brand new set from Darkside with no down time. I had a spare set already so went the local-ish route.

Sleeping_Bag

TDI
'15 MK7 Golf Sportwagen
ah ok, ill probably just go the no downtime route with the injectors since this is my only car and the 37 boost is rare but at low gear since I've got a DSG so its basically continuously spooling lol

cpinde

TDI
05 VW Passat, 04 Jetta, 06 BRM Jetta, sold 15 Golf current
@adjat84th want to come up to the beach in Delaware and help me change out my turbo? :) Between the ridiculous heat and not being able to find any tips/tricks I've been taking much longer then I want to do this swap.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
What are you installing, and is the stock exhaust still in place? The erWin manual is a great thing to download btw.
This is just my hobby, I'm no expert mechanic, but certainly know my way around this engine bay and have yet to break anything yet!

cpinde

TDI
05 VW Passat, 04 Jetta, 06 BRM Jetta, sold 15 Golf current
What are you installing, and is the stock exhaust still in place? The erWin manual is a great thing to download btw.
This is just my hobby, I'm no expert mechanic, but certainly know my way around this engine bay and have yet to break anything yet!
Car is deleted. Putting an Xman 1456 on it. I need to download the erWin manual for it but didn’t think I’d need it for the turbo swap, as I’ve done turbo swaps on vehicles before with no issues. When you took off your turbohow did you get to the lower driver side nuts?

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
Im not often here and I stumbled over this thread and read thru all those 8 pages.
Kinda interesting definitely and I like the build, but since Im tuning cars myself and looking
at your logs makes the project a kinda sad outcome.

Im not specifically saying your outcome is bad, Im just saying the softwareside could be done
a lot better.
In one log, you can see your IQ and if your car is putting down over 220whp on the dyno (or crank,
doesnt really matter at this point) your IQ is definitely higher than mid 70s.
For instance. Since my dad wants to keep his car bone stock, which I can understand,
I can at least give reference to a stock CUNA engine, which is tuned proper, without bending maps.
After lots of tweaking its possible to get 214HP (till 4th gear) out of a bone stock engine,
which correlates to around 77mg/h. I think you agree, that you probably got more out of
your engine than a bone stock CUNA with DPF.
I can understand, if you think now:"maybe you tuning wrong and IQ is off". I can safely tell you,
that the DOI table is stock, since the X axis maxes at 87mg/h. No need to touch this map.

On the other side: You shouldnt need to change the VNT linkage till your turbo builds up boost.
Thats not how it works. You take a vacuum pump.
set the linkage to -0.5bar hitting the max screw. After that. VCDS and adapting.
Rest is done by software and proper tuning! Not mechanically.
And as I can see. Your turbo regulation doesnt really work at this point.
Boost builds up, VNT doesnt really care. boost falls down the drain, VNT still doesnt really care.
EDC17C64 / C74 are hard to tune. You have to do a lot of research and know what you are doing,
especially, when you delete stuff, like you did. It will get to a pain in the ass to get the VNT regulation
to work, but doesnt mean its impossible either!

All I wanna say is: try to find a better tuner, since your DOI seems to be bent and your VNT regulation,
basically non existing. It will for instance affect your SOI (of course a lot of other stuff), therefore your poweroutput
and should makethe car more lively and the poweroutput equally to the time you spent into this car!

For reference: just by turboswapping, OEM injectors and DPF / EGR off, you can get an MK7 1.6TDI to
250HP (same C64 pain tuning problems). Yes, the head is also pretty restrictive on this one (since it also looks like the same),
but nothing you cant fix with proper amount of boost. Turbo used for that?
Stock OEM BV43 Turbo, nothing special. Putting down 2.55b.
Your 2.0TDI Project definitely deserves better!

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Boost control and fueling are far different at this point. I have full faith in who is doing the tuning, my previous logs were only posted to rule out anything mechanically incorrect. It'll get there..just a waiting game to get revisions unfortunately.

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
Well, that definitely sounds better.
So your VNT regulation started to work and actually cares now in reaching and holding ( / releasing)
the requested / desired amount of boost?
So no mechanical faking the VNT position to get boost?

And your (logged) IQ also seems right to the power the car is putting down?

If we talk about power. How much is it currently putting down at the crank?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely not dyno worthy at the moment, but it'll get to one when it's all dialed in. We'll see if we can't get over 300whp though ;)
Right now the goal is getting rail pressure up to offset the loss of atomization with the 150% injectors because she's a smokey pig at the moment.

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
Usually it should drive around 1200bar in the mid, which is definitely enough.
On the other side, this thing has pilot injections,
its not a PD, so when the main IQ comes, its already burning and doesnt really matter about the duration,
to get everything burned, with correct AFR. Also the reason why CRs start to inject
after TDC and not before in low / mid throttle.

On the other side, I dont think that your injectors are bigger than the ones that BMW N57TÜ have.
They also dont need higher rail pressure. They are on point / lower compared to vags 2.0TDI CRs.
Still cant spot smoke tho.
Early CR had only 1600 at full throttle, no smoke. I mean, how much you wanna add?

Can you do specific logs, if I would like to see whats going on?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Me posting logs was really just to try and rule out anything mechanically wrong and the tune at that point was very much a work in progress.
I'll happily share results when it's all buttoned up.

My experience in tuning is far less complicated than these cars and their complex ECUs. Running a Megasquirt ECU piggy-backed onto the stock ECU of a '96 Mazda MX-6 with Japanese spec'd heads/cams/intake that could be easily tuned on the fly is where my knowledge stops. That car is still running around on a track in Georgia to this day. It's Flintstone aged in comparison though.

Last edited:

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
If you think Im just here to ridicule, then Im out of this thread.
Im here to give you tips and tell you on which things you should keep an eye on,
while this thing is evolving. I guess that might be interesting for you as well?

Same as giving you insights of the ecu regulation and CRs in general, how they work, etc. if you take a closer look at it.
Im not here to ridicule anyone. Im just encrypting (for you), what Im seeing and how it should usually should look like,
from a neutral point of view.
What you do with this info, is yours. Not mine. But it appears to me, knowledge is not welcome.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I dunno, I prefer to finish my work and then have it reviewed... as opposed to have someone look at it when I'm half way done and tell me how wrong it is. It's not that I don't value their judgment/qualifications/experience/knowledge... it's just inconsiderate. It may not be your intention, but the impression given is that you think the other tuner lacks competence 🤷‍♂️.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
If you think Im just here to ridicule, then Im out of this thread.
Im here to give you tips and tell you on which things you should keep an eye on,
while this thing is evolving. I guess that might be interesting for you as well?

Same as giving you insights of the ecu regulation and CRs in general, how they work, etc. if you take a closer look at it.
Im not here to ridicule anyone. Im just encrypting (for you), what Im seeing and how it should usually should look like,
from a neutral point of view.
What you do with this info, is yours. Not mine. But it appears to me, knowledge is not welcome.
Feedback and/or general car talk is always welcome as long as we're being considerate. We're not in the power enhancements section for some other reason ;)
Car is mechanically running perfect, so all is left to the ECU and it's understandably a work in progress.
Rail pressure (currently) is 1600bar by 2k rpm and holds 2000bar to redline.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I finally have an update that is post worthy and is quite an interesting twist if you ask me.

Been talking on and off with several other members here as I was genuinely curious in tuning this car myself after what has felt like it would never come together. In one of those conversations I was offered tuning for a fair price, doing so remotely, and all I needed was to get the flash tool.
Last Thursday I got the flash tool, Friday I had my first file sent and loaded, and in 4 days and 17 revisions later I have a 2015 Golf TDI with a CUAA engine running 100mg/st with 2.4bar of boost....CLEAN!
The way this thing drives off-boost around town is simply amazing as well, cannot believe it. It's no longer embarrassing to drive with a cloud of smoke constantly in my mirror, and we should still see 50mpg on the highway..exactly what I wanted with this build. And when punching it above 3k RPM this thing just absolutely launches!
There's plenty of refinement still to do, and plenty more fuel to come with these gigantic injectors, but waiting for a few pieces to arrive to go for more at the moment. Will have some Dragy runs to share in the not too distant future!

I'm not quite sure how to give the right amount of credit here, but @Xtremefunky has been nothing more than just legitimately fun to work with on this. He clearly knows these newer ECUs, and actually seems to enjoy it and watching the outcome. There were zero changes made to the car, all tuning..and it is night and day different!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Life gets a lot better once you realize there's more to eat other than happy meals from McDonald's..... 😁 Sure they might taste good at first...but...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sweet! Sounds like it's about dyno ready now. Can't wait to see the graph. Super impressed by what Xtremefunky has done with his car.

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
Sweet! Sounds like it's about dyno ready now.
haha. For me, It just got started. No we wait for a part, to get the last bottleneck out of the way,
that holds us back, from tearing up the streets.

Super impressed by what Xtremefunky has done with his car.
Thanks mate. I had the last 5 years time to study my car / ecu well ;D. :D
(and the last 4 to study the 184HP engine, because of my dad).

the injectors are likely good 450hp to be honest.
Actually. I would call them 550HP injectors. And using them with 2400Bar, will most likely result in 6-700HP injectors.
Its sooo crazy. But I love seeing such big as......nozzles doing their job.

We'll see how far we can take this turbo and fuel pump
In theory a 65mm compressor can provide ~1100kg/h airmass on 3L*, which results in smokefree 400HP.
The R70 can do as well very precise 400HP on 3L* engines.
Meaning... Im very curious to see, which part runs out of breath first. hahaha.

*BMW N57

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man, I think adjat84th might have to go to a dsg to hold all that twist!
Haha, we have to stop somewhere!
I'll get the support brace or input shaft insert in at some point in the near future, so we're not limited to that 550-575Nm torque level to keep the gears from walking away from each other. The clutch will take anything we can throw at it (800Nm limit).
I am picking up a CUA MAF (90mm vs 80mm) today from the dealer ($70!) today as it is the same exact part number used on the US Atlas V6, and hope to have a filter setup from Darkside in the near future for it to fit nicely. Was really hoping to keep the stock airbox because..I just don't want the extra noise, but sadly it doesn't appear to be modifiable to fit. My buddy has an Atlas, and the factory airbox is very similar but not close enough.

I am also strongly considering adding a small FMIC for additional charge cooling between the turbo and AWIC. The CUA charge cooler does do better, but it appears there is room to drop temps further to add more air density. The last time I did a log of IATs was before the injectors and more boost, but it was ~110F steady cruising and up to 150F after a 4th gear pull. It could be that temps from the first charge cooler will actually rise slightly when passing through the second charge cooler, but will any potential gain be worth the spend if the pump or turbo is out of steam anyway?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha, we have to stop somewhere!
I'll get the support brace or input shaft insert in at some point in the near future, so we're not limited to that 550-575Nm torque level to keep the gears from walking away from each other. The clutch will take anything we can throw at it (800Nm limit).
I am picking up a CUA MAF (90mm vs 80mm) today from the dealer ($70!) today as it is the same exact part number used on the US Atlas V6, and hope to have a filter setup from Darkside in the near future for it to fit nicely. Was really hoping to keep the stock airbox because..I just don't want the extra noise, but sadly it doesn't appear to be modifiable to fit. My buddy has an Atlas, and the factory airbox is very similar but not close enough.

I am also strongly considering adding a small FMIC for additional charge cooling between the turbo and AWIC. The CUA charge cooler does do better, but it appears there is room to drop temps further to add more air density. The last time I did a log of IATs was before the injectors and more boost, but it was ~110F steady cruising and up to 150F after a 4th gear pull. It could be that temps from the first charge cooler will actually rise slightly when passing through the second charge cooler, but will any potential gain be worth the spend if the pump or turbo is out of steam anyway?
I hear that. Very easy to get carried away. Tough call on the FMIC. Really comes down to how far you want to go with power I suppose. You'd be adding a little turbo lag along with the cooler IATs, so maybe keep an eye on temps as you turn it up and go from there.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
if you're IATs are 110f cruising... i would look further into the tuning, or heat soak? even with such a "big" setup. really don't know the subtle details of tuning these engines, or your intercooler setup, but that seems rather high for just cruising IATs. completely different beast but my 11mm .260s in my mk1 cruising is usually only a bit higher than ambient, getting on it with 30-32psi it's never been anywhere near over 120F, at least this time of year...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I'd be inclined to add a larger heat exchanger for the a2w intercooler. Maybe even an ice box if I wanted to do some drag racing. Then again, a fwd car wouldn't be my first choice for a drag racer.