MK7 Golf Build

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Just about ready to button this thing up. Only concern is how tightly the oil feed line is bending in order to be installed. It's also very close to the manifold (3/8" clearance you can see in the first picture), so I'm thinking this line needs the fitting on the turbo rotated 90° clockwise to allow it to relax which should also get it away from the manifold. Anyone know how tight these lines can bend before there becomes a restriction from a possible kink? It feels tighter than the pictures look, ha!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Take the clamp that's holding the hose off of the exhaust housing of the turbo. It will conduct heat to your hose (and likely melt the rubber part of the clamp and maybe the hose). Just let the hose curve "back" - it does not look like it will hit anything?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Take the clamp that's holding the hose off of the exhaust housing of the turbo. It will conduct heat to your hose (and likely melt the rubber part of the clamp and maybe the hose). Just let the hose curve "back" - it does not look like it will hit anything?
Will do, haven't put but 30 miles on it. I believe without the clamp on at all it will be ok.

Stock TIP back in place, it fits onto the turbo with a simple 2.25"-2" silicone reducer. Clears everything as intended. Also installed a fresh electrical connector into the actuator as the stock one is keyed and the one from darkside is not. $5 at the dealer, can't complain!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
"I got up with Andrew (2micron) about a CP3 upgrade, and after waiting a couple months for everything to line up with pieces to the kit I have it installed along with a 1micron filter upgrade that he made up that replaces the stock filter entirely. 100k mile change intervals at half the cost of 20k interval OEM filter sounds pretty nice to me! The CP3 is an R70 version similar to his MK6 kits as well with just a couple small differences.”

Quoting from the first post but is it still possible to get one of these? Now that a bolt on turbo kit is available I'm looking to void my nice long warranty, haha. I'm in a new old stock golf so if I'm going to void it I figure I should do everything to make the car last.

And in reference to your post in the springs thread, are you running the H&R's with stock dampers? If so how's the ride? The drop looks perfect but my car only has 13k on it. Going lower is not "approved" by the wife so if the dampers need to be replaced also it's a much harder sell. I would likely wait until the dampers need to be replaced and then do springs at the same time.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep in mind, the turbo kit is bolt on but the downpipe replaces the DPF/SCR and you would need some sort of arrangement to get your car inspected in Cali.

Email Andrew on the CP3, it's really the best and only way to get in touch with him but he is fantastic to deal with.

And yes, car is on H&R springs now. Stock dampers should be fine for a while, but I replaced with Bilstein B8s because I will be doing the occasional autocross. The B6 dampers would be the ticket for something closer to stock ride when the time comes.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Hmm, I was looking at the CR190 GTD turbo that's now available from Kerma/FixMyVW. It says it this will bolt on and allow me to keep stock emissions, just requiring a turbo inlet pipe and silencer.

I did see the GTD1752VRK kit on Darkside that requires a downpipe. That would be a down the road upgrade for me, if at all.

I will send Andrew an email after work today. And thanks for info the springs/dampers. Looks like I'll be holding off on getting lower for now. I really appreciate the info.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
CR190 probably a better route for you. Would love to see results on that with emissions equipment all in place.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
Hmm, I was looking at the CR190 GTD turbo that's now available from Kerma/FixMyVW. It says it this will bolt on and allow me to keep stock emissions, just requiring a turbo inlet pipe and silencer.

I did see the GTD1752VRK kit on Darkside that requires a downpipe. That would be a down the road upgrade for me, if at all.

I will send Andrew an email after work today. And thanks for info the springs/dampers. Looks like I'll be holding off on getting lower for now. I really appreciate the info.
I used the stock shocks with my H&Rs, and was very happy with the ride, and handling.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Car is running! Just have to take it to my exhaust guy to have him put the hangers for the downpipe back on in the proper place. Keep in mind this kit is meant for the earlier CRs, so I knew there were likely to be a few issues.

Only other concern is the TIP which is extremely close to being a perfect fit. It just rests very slightly on the brake fluid reservoir which caused a vibration to be felt in the brake pedal. It's currently rigged so that it is not resting on it, but need to look for a long term solution so that the other airbox pieces all fit back in their stock location.

Will do some data logging as soon as the downpipe hangers are secure, and get some tweaks made to the tune!
I'm considering pump, delete and turbo fun. Delete and turbo for sure, pump as funds permit. I'm dsg, so I won't be getting into gearbox headaches beyond a tune. I'd love to see slightly cooler gearbox Temps, but maybe I'm over reacting.

I have you ever got around to logging and ironing out turbo performance issues?

Not sure Malones official standing on tuning this setup with the turbo you used on stock injectors.

My concern is I'll be dealing with this on a daily driver, but with a garage kinda far away. So I need to examine and prep this with razor precision, with your help of documented headaches, and an exhausting list of every par needed and in hand to tackle.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock injectors are likely only good to about 210hp on CRUA (the GTD/CUNA units are much larger and could be a nice upgrade). Currently the tune is just about maxed out on EGT, just tweaking some boost spikes on low end (this turbo will take off quick!) and also dialing in high rpm while watching for boost creep. I'd say it's really close to done, and I'll surely be going back to the Dyno.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Just went to Pikes Peak with our bug and it was fun and so close to get the fastest diesel time... The course was shortened due to hail ... So we could not do our time. Was predicted to be a sub 11mn.

Anyway we are back home Nashville TN and we are debating porting the cjaa or move to the CKRA Passat engine or the new EA288. The head looks like it might flow amazing if by chance it is the same used one the CUA European spec 240HP??

We have been maxing out the cjaa flow at 250HP. I heard I could get 260hp with stock CKRA but would rather move to EA288 if it's ready for 260+

To see pictures of the bug check. Our Instagram page @boxeer_

Thanks for feedback

Greg

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Porting alone will let you go much higher. No need to change platform.
Porting + camshafts and you are ready for 400 if you have fuel.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
I use to port 2 stroke but I'd rather have this CNCed by somebody experienced. Any thoughts? Or should I just do it by hand?? Also PM me if you are interested in doing my head?

Porting alone will let you go much higher. No need to change platform.
Porting + camshafts and you are ready for 400 if you have fuel.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
Just went to Pikes Peak with our bug and it was fun and so close to get the fastest diesel time... The course was shortened due to hail ... So we could not do our time. Was predicted to be a sub 11mn.

Anyway we are back home Nashville TN and we are debating porting the cjaa or move to the CKRA Passat engine or the new EA288. The head looks like it might flow amazing if by chance it is the same used one the CUA European spec 240HP??

We have been maxing out the cjaa flow at 250HP. I heard I could get 260hp with stock CKRA but would rather move to EA288 if it's ready for 260+

To see pictures of the bug check. Our Instagram page @boxeer_

Thanks for feedback

Greg
I wish I would have known you would be there, I haven't gone for the last couple of years as it is not as much fun to watch since they paved it, but would have enjoyed rooting you on.

There is a shop here that does amazing port work, even does radial aircraft engines for the guys that race in the Reno air races, and such. He told me that the one he did picked up 10 mph top speed after he ported the heads. That had to be an expensive job, a lot of cylinders to do!

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, just checked out your bug on instagram, you should post some pics here, that is an awesome car! I think you are on the right track considering the EA288, I had a Malone stage 2 tune on mine with nothing else, and it gave WRX's a hard time, I think 400hp would be easy with that engine.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Props.

That's a screaming meanie.... I wanna passenger that rig, only because I know you won't let anyone drive it....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
There are folks that port these by hand...but I dont know of anyone who does them cnc. They are tedious to port....takes many many hours...If you can port...port it yourself. It will take a while...but its worth it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Would love to know if there are differences in head flow/cam profile between our CRUAs and the BiTDI's CUAA. There are quite a few same part numbers last I looked.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Little update here:
15k miles after installing a SMF with Fluidampr and I've lost 2nd gear synchro. Not totally surprised, but not happy to have to dive back into the transmission. I'll be adding the 4th gear support brace this time around, AND have sourced some 02M brass synchros from Darkside to try and fit. The part number for the 1-2 synchro hub is compatible in ETKA from 02Q and 02M, so my hope is that the synchro sets are interchangeable. The synchro hub for 3-4 is not exact (part number has different ending letter), but ordered them just to see.

I also over the past 5k miles have developed a knocking sound that is wheel speed dependent, and only seems to happen when decelerating in gears 1-4. Noise goes away once you apply the slightest bit of fuel. It doesn't sound like bearing noise because it's not a hum, and it doesn't change frequency when shifting weight from side to side. Hopefully opening the gearbox again will shed some light on things, but I'm hoping it's something easy. This later 02Q does not have compensation washers on the input shaft bearing like previous 02M and early 02Qs, so I don't feel that's the issue however it is a similar symptom from the searching I've done.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Swap an 02M into it, whole lot easier and cheaper. I've done a couple 02M swaps into mk5 and mk6 cars. Haven't looked too close at a mk7 though.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The 02Q shares a lot of similar parts with the 02M, once you have the gearbox off the car it's not that much extra work to take gears off the output shaft. The diff bearings are different sizes between the two though, and I have quite a bit invested in the Peloquin alone at this point.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Wonder if the speed dependent sound you hear is beginning issue with axles.