Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

Mr. Annoying

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta jetta wagon
Ok, I know this sounds retarted but has anyone else sliced their hand or finger on the trim around the automatic shifter once you open the door forward of it? That silver piece is extremely sharp, i've sliced my dang thumb on it twice…. Am I the only one? Thanks.
yes chrome peeled off razor sharp just peeled it off edge

AH9

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagon
Learned this week that there are faulty fobs!

On ours the key fob battery had gone low twice in the 1 1/2 months we've had this car. Last week, the battery fully died on a longer drive before we could replace it. I wasn't initially worried since I knew I should be able to start the car with the emergency procedure. This worked fine but the car didn't move once it was started and a "Transmission Error" came on. Had to get the car towed to the nearest dealer. :( Next morning brought in our other fob and the car started and drove perfectly. Dealer hasn't heard of this before but checked our keys and said the one that died is part of a faulty series and has ordered us a new one.

Keeping a spare key battery in the car now anyways though!

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
yes chrome peeled off razor sharp just peeled it off edge

my dealership replaced my DSG shifter surround under warranty no questions asked once I showed them the razor blade that appeared.

I opened/closed my cubby once or twice since I have had the car, and its been open the whole time.

Oldboatdriver

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
My Engine Start/Stop button was taking multiple pushes to do its thing. Reported it to dealer during phase 1 emissions recall and they replaced it under warranty. Anyone else have this issue? Dealer said they haven't heard of it but I found that fishy when it replaced it with no hassle.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Very timely discussion. My button has been, for lack of a better word, ambivalent lately. I had to hit it more than once a few times. This was in 60+F temperatures where the glow plugs shouldn't really be causing any delay. Seems like it may be going.

My 335d is polar opposite. Seems like my starter is turning before I even have the button fully depressed most times. It's snappy.

Saeed

TDI
2015 golf tdi
hello everyone,
I have a 2015 Golf tdi(which I bought one month ago), last day I drove another 2013 golf tdi, and compare to other car,my car was much slower and throttle was much less sensitive. the difference is too much that I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my car. it has just 47k miles on it.
do you have any idea where should i start to look up? does it have anything to do with emission recall?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Was the 2013 you drove fixed? If not it would probably feel more powerful on tip-in.

Are both DSGs? Fixed vs. unfixed DSG programming would also make a difference. And even fixed CJAA (engine code) and CRUA with DSG re-programming would feel different.

My point is that your perception of which car felt slower may be misleading. There may be nothing wrong with your car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Get it scanned for codes. No codes, probably nothing wrong. It could also be the 2013 had been modded with a tune and deletes and such. Not necessarily a direct comparison. How does your 2015 run on a normal daily basis?

Saeed

TDI
2015 golf tdi
Was the 2013 you drove fixed? If not it would probably feel more powerful on tip-in.

Are both DSGs? Fixed vs. unfixed DSG programming would also make a difference. And even fixed CJAA (engine code) and CRUA with DSG re-programming would feel different.

My point is that your perception of which car felt slower may be misleading. There may be nothing wrong with your car.

yes,they were both DSGs and I have no idea weather they are fixed or not, how to find it out? how should i re-program the transmission?

there is nothing wrong with my car but it is jus much slower and I feel it when i want accelerate behind the red light and compare it to other cars:(:confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I had driven my GSW (manual) back in 2015 pre stop sale. When I took delivery on the car I was disappointed by the lack of response to the accelerator when starting out. Compared to my older TDIs (all tuned) it felt very sluggish. Rocketchip Stage 2 fixed that.

Saeed

TDI
2015 golf tdi
I had driven my GSW (manual) back in 2015 pre stop sale. When I took delivery on the car I was disappointed by the lack of response to the accelerator when starting out. Compared to my older TDIs (all tuned) it felt very sluggish. Rocketchip Stage 2 fixed that.
How much this rocketChip2 is gonna cost? Does it increase fuel consumption?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Look into changing the throttle response coding before you spend money on a tune. There are threads about it, well worth the coding time.

It takes that spongy/sluggish throttle response and makes it linear which is more like the Gen1 you are comparing it against.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
How much this rocketChip2 is gonna cost? Does it increase fuel consumption?
Not sure what he charges these days, probably around $450. And I tuned my car at 800 miles so I didn't have a before and after for FE. My lifetime FE average is 42.4 MPG. I don't really drive for economy.

Saeed

TDI
2015 golf tdi
Look into changing the throttle response coding before you spend money on a tune. There are threads about it, well worth the coding time.

It takes that spongy/sluggish throttle response and makes it linear which is more like the Gen1 you are comparing it against.
thank you,
thats the first thing came to my mind too,i\m gonna do it,
as i said my car is too boring to drive right now and definitely needs some changes and I have to start with the cheapest one.
I'm not looking for race in the streets but since I've drove the other car,I dont like mine so much.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i know its apples to oranges, but the dead pedal feeling of our Alltrack made the car feel like 60hp, 30ftlbs until you romped on it which then caused the DSG to double down shift and then boogy.

After that coding change, you can goose the pedal and get pretty much instant pull, best place to notice it is in parking lots.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Did my own 40k DSG Service Last weekend. Fall of 2018 just as predicted earlier in this thread... lol

Had to remove the Air box, Battery and Tray to get to the DSG Filter housing. Tray has one bolt that hides under the drivers headlight adjuster and a red power wire so I had to use a torx bit to unscrew that one bolt as none of my sockets would fit in the small area I had to reach it in.

otherwise, service was as expected, drain out fluid that still looked good and not much darker than the new stuff I was putting in, take forever to refill the 5L from the top through the center of the filter housing, start car after finishing all the other filters, drain out excess fluid from the bottom, and button it all up.

good times.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Did my own 40k DSG Service Last weekend. Fall of 2018 just as predicted earlier in this thread... lol

Had to remove the Air box, Battery and Tray to get to the DSG Filter housing. Tray has one bolt that hides under the drivers headlight adjuster and a red power wire so I had to use a torx bit to unscrew that one bolt as none of my sockets would fit in the small area I had to reach it in.

otherwise, service was as expected, drain out fluid that still looked good and not much darker than the new stuff I was putting in, take forever to refill the 5L from the top through the center of the filter housing, start car after finishing all the other filters, drain out excess fluid from the bottom, and button it all up.

good times.

Timely! I'm planning to do mine this Saturday. Thanks for heads up on the hidden bolt. I may do a trial run on the battery tray on Friday before I take it to the lift at the local military base. I hate hogging a lift while fumbling.

I got the starter kit from ID Parts with the funnel and sized fitting to bottom fill. Hoping that saves a little time. I plan to pre-warm the oil jug.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Timely! I'm planning to do mine this Saturday. Thanks for heads up on the hidden bolt. I may do a trial run on the battery tray on Friday before I take it to the lift at the local military base. I hate hogging a lift while fumbling.

I got the starter kit from ID Parts with the funnel and sized fitting to bottom fill. Hoping that saves a little time. I plan to pre-warm the oil jug.
Pre-warming is more key than that funnel and smaller hose, hotter the better for that fluid >100F is ideal.

Even with a 1/2" hose of the wally world funnel hose combo for top fill it flowed really slowly.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Scheduled my Phase 2 fix for 12/17/18. Should be getting both 2a & 2b since I will be over 45k miles by then.

Is there a what to expect/ask for thread for the Phase 2 fix I should be reading so I don't set my expectations too high..

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
IIRC it should take a day or so. Loaner car provided. Oil change provided. Might have a slightly different engine sound when completed. Economy may get slightly better/worse/stay the same. This is assuming they have everything on hand and someone that has done it before. Might need an alignment as well. Just from my reading and memory.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I just did an Oil change and 40k service 2 weeks ago...(yes it was at 43k miles, but whos counting...) Ill only be at 45k or so when I drop the car off in 2 weeks wonder if I can get a coupon and bring the car back for its 50k mile oil change instead

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Scheduled my Phase 2 fix for 12/17/18. Should be getting both 2a & 2b since I will be over 45k miles by then.
Is there a what to expect/ask for thread for the Phase 2 fix I should be reading so I don't set my expectations too high..
I, and at least a few other people, have had leaks at the "fixed" (replaced) DEF injector after the phase2 fix; I'd suggest checking up on it in the first couple thousand miles after you get the fix.

Other than that...meh - whatever.
(Although, after I got the DEF injector fixed for realsies, I got a Malone tune, so don't look to me for any comments on engine performance wrt the phase2 fix. :D)

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
good times.
I just did mine for the first time since owning the car (@113k mi). Not a bid job, but would be so much easier if the filter was accessible WITHOUT removing the battery/tray...
I too agree it takes quite a while to fill from the top (20-30min) even though I let the new stuff warm up in front of the heater while I was removing parts/draining the old stuff.
I also did the fuel filter and oil/filter. I used FCP Euro and will take advantage of their lifetime part/fluid guarantee next time. :)

VChristian

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, (2) 02 Jetta, 03 Jetta, 15 Jetta
Cool job!! One of my biggest hobbies is sound reproduction and pro PA systems and home audio systems. Temperatures will definitely affect the workings of a speaker and how they sound. The speakers in my 03 are the same way, after listening to a bit of music at a low to normal volume the voice coils heat up and they sound normal again. Im looking into buying a MK7 Golf TDI within the next few months and was cruising this post for problems. Im glad none sound to major yet. My only complaint is not being able to actually build cars to order anymore. Slightly upsetting. Carry on! :)
Not the voice coil, it's the suspension. Just like on car at -20.

In the 70's when doing pro audio, we fed 5 Hz at 10% power until things got warmer. Could take hours after a cold soak in a truck.

So watch out cranking things up, because one could heat damage the voice coil, while the suspension was stiff enough to squelch the sound.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I just tried the above recommendation as I have a similar rattle. My solenoid bracket was tight already, but snugged it a touch more. My rattle sounds like it's coming from the dash though, but doesn't happen enough for me to really dig into. My armrest rattle on the other hand, that one I may try to fix.
I too have a rattle and am yet to locate it. Sounds like it's from the center console. I hear it both at idle and highway speeds. I had the car in the air doing DSG and oil and took a look around at the heat shield, but I couldn't locate anything. That is the most annoying thing to me (other than oil filter location) in my one year of ownership.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I too have a rattle and am yet to locate it. Sounds like it's from the center console. I hear it both at idle and highway speeds. I had the car in the air doing DSG and oil and took a look around at the heat shield, but I couldn't locate anything. That is the most annoying thing to me (other than oil filter location) in my one year of ownership.
Yes if anyone offered a filter relocation kit id be on board for that.