Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

tkdcmpedude

TDI
2015 Golf S
Interesting Sound

Good morning all,

New to actually posting but watching this forum for a number of years. I have a 2015 Golf that whenever any heat is added into the air circulating there sounds like a pumping or sucking sound that occurs. The only part I can say is when the thermostat is set all the way to the coldest this sound cannot be heard. I was just curious if anyone knew what this was by any chance.

Given the whole diesel situation and living in California I am leaning towards the buyout option.

Cheers,
-tkd

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Can you post a picture? I may have a similar issue. Thanks!
Sorry, no pix available. dash vent discoloration is around the lower portion of the vent, just below the air outlet. Difference in plastic shine.

My TDI is a year old, but dealer said it's a warranty issue. Easy fix, too. Might be a common problem?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Is the discoloration on the vent, vent trim, or the dash? Curious to know how they replace the vent. One of my directional tabs broke and I'm trying to figure out how much of a headache it will be to replace.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Is the discoloration on the vent, vent trim, or the dash? Curious to know how they replace the vent. One of my directional tabs broke and I'm trying to figure out how much of a headache it will be to replace.
I have a 2015 Golf TDI. Dealer told me the dash vent is an easy pop out/pop in.

No the discoloration is not on the dash, rather the plastic vent. Looks like someone rubbed the plastic sheen off.

(Wish I could post a picture)

Kiter

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
Yes. There are also a bunch of other codes on the back. Here's a scan:

The manual definitely has diesel information. For instance, pages 298-301 are about SCR/AdBlue/DEF.

I hope this helps you track down a suitable manual!
I have been driving my 2015 Golf S TDI for almost two years now, and wish I had discovered this forum sooner! When I purchased the car, I was confused as to why the manual that came with the car (version 03.2014, part number 1515U1GO723) had no information about AdBlue, diesel fuel, etc. I must have dismissed it at the time, but thanks to this thread, I contacted the dealer today who confirmed that they could order the correct manual that contains TDI-relevant details, but would have to charge me. :confused:

I then reached out to VWoA, who was much more understanding, took the time to compare specific pages in the manual that should have had the TDI-relevant details, concluded I should have gotten a different manual, and then opened a case to have a regional rep contact me and determine why my dealer refused to obtain the correct manual for me. :D

Kiter

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
5) pretty loud noise when backing up in the morning, goes away after driving a bit and the overnight crud on the brakes wears off (light rust overnight, every night, in foggy SF). Not sure why the brakes would be activated while backing up. I've gathered this is "normal" for newer VWs, just wish it wasn't :(
Glad to see I was not the only one with this issue. After putting a few thousand miles on the car, it sounded like the rear brakes would catch the rotors when I backed out of the garage, start to chatter, and by the time I got to the end of the driveway, the sound had turned into a deafening whine that made the entire car vibrate. Although it happened intermittently, I eventually figured out it would reliably happen after the car had sat in the garage for a day or two and not driven.

The dealer looked in to the issue during the 1-year service visit, and got direction from the VW Techline to try replacing the rear brakes and rotors under warranty (had to be pulled off the assembly line). It has been almost a year now, and although the brake chatter/whine has improved significantly, I still notice minor chatter every now and then when I back out of the garage. I, too, have simply accepted this as "normal" for the car. :(

cragler22

TDI
2015 Mk7 Golf
As posted in a different thread on this forum, I am the second to see what appears to be crystallized urea from a small leak, so I wanted to include it in this sticky thread.

This is apparently the DEF injector port, which is located adjacent to the north-west corner of the engine cover (when viewed standing in front of the car).

WiszMaster, who first noted this, had his DEF injector port and feed hose replaced around 12/5. He hasn't yet reported whether the problem is gone or not.

I'm not sure as to the severity of this problem, but I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow to see what they say and hopefully have it addressed. I will report back on my experience. I would encourage everyone else with a Mk7 to check their cars.

Taking mine in tomorrow for same issue. 50,000 mile service performed over the weekend and was told my ad blue supply line was cracked and leaking. Ad blue was filled but light remained on... saying I had less than 500 miles until empty.

Mk7 owners be aware, if your ad blue light kicks on check under hood as you may have a leak (left side of the engine cover)

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
When I turn my car on there is a loud knocking sound coming from the passenger side. Lasts for 10 seconds and then goes away. The fans are off so no motors should be running pushing air/heat.

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
Car had to get towed to the dealer yesterday. About half a mile into my commute home, a blinking glow-plug light came on and the car wouldn't go over ~30 mph. Dealer called this morning and started questioning me on what type of oil I use (Castrol EDGE Pro LL03) and if I had been keeping up with all the oil changes. I said yes, told him the oil, and the type, and said I had done an oil change relatively recently. He seemed happy to learn I used 507.00 rated oil.

He mentioned something about an "oil pressure switch" or something.

Far from my first oil change, but now I'm worried this is a result of something I've done.

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
When I turn my car on there is a loud knocking sound coming from the passenger side. Lasts for 10 seconds and then goes away. The fans are off so no motors should be running pushing air/heat.
I had a similar sound. Mechanic fixed it by replacing a motorized valve in the air handling system. If you hear it when switching between recirculated air and normal flow, this is the issue.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
I had a similar sound. Mechanic fixed it by replacing a motorized valve in the air handling system. If you hear it when switching between recirculated air and normal flow, this is the issue.
That's exactly what I've found to be happening. I'm taking my car in for an oil change on Wednesday. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

quattrothatcould

TDI
MkVII Golf TDI
Car is going in Friday for the AdBlue injector/line leak:

Two other issues I noticed that the dealer couldn't replicate:

1) The touchscreen function on the nav doesn't work every now and then, and it has a weird habit of cycling through the satellite stations by itself, and occasionally adding them to the presets. Dealer said they couldn't replicate and found no codes, and thus couldn't do anything about it.

2) I had one random instance of the cruise control disengaging without any external prompts (didn't touch the brake pedal or the cancel button) - dealer couldn't find anything, and it never happened again, but just strange.

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
New problem I just came across with my 2015 golf tdi. I had a very obnoxious creaking noise coming from underneath the car. Turns out the dealer said the sway Bar needs to be replaced. At about 53,000 miles now

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
New problem I just came across with my 2015 golf tdi. I had a very obnoxious creaking noise coming from underneath the car. Turns out the dealer said the sway Bar needs to be replaced. At about 53,000 miles now
Can you describe in a bit more detail what the sound is like and when it tends to show up?

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
Can you describe in a bit more detail what the sound is like and when it tends to show up?
It sounds like rubber rubbing on metal kind of creaking. It only seemed to happen over speed bumps Or when The Whole car would shake up and down. It started around 20,000 very slightly and then got worse over time. Mechanic at the dealer said it wasn't the first 2015 golf he's where he had to replace the sway bar

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
It sounds like rubber rubbing on metal kind of creaking. It only seemed to happen over speed bumps Or when The Whole car would shake up and down. It started around 20,000 very slightly and then got worse over time. Mechanic at the dealer said it wasn't the first 2015 golf he's where he had to replace the sway bar
Interesting. I notice a bit of a creaking sound going over bumps, or when coming slowly to a stop, or when turning slowly while slowing down. And it seems to be worse when the car is cold. Perhaps it's the same issue.

Unfortunately I just had the car in for 40k service and didn't ask them to look at it.

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
Interesting. I notice a bit of a creaking sound going over bumps, or when coming slowly to a stop, or when turning slowly while slowing down. And it seems to be worse when the car is cold. Perhaps it's the same issue.
Unfortunately I just had the car in for 40k service and didn't ask them to look at it.
Spraying a little lubricant on the 2 mounts attached too the subframe did help a little for awhile. You could try doing that and see if it helps

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI

I get this as well. Only during certain bumps while slowing down and/or cornering. Going to try and get under there and take a look around this week.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I get this as well. Only during certain bumps while slowing down and/or cornering. Going to try and get under there and take a look around this week.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Cool, keep us posted and take pics if you see anything notable!

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
Turned out I don't think it was the sway bar. After the dealer replaced it I still here it slightly. Not as bad but it's still annoying that I get this creaking over big bumps. Anyone able to find where exactly it's coming from

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Put the car on stands and took the front wheels off. Looked around for quite a while with no evidence of anything that I would think could make this noise. I looked at the swaybar bushings and end links, both control arm bushings, balljoints, and everything looked as it should. Could be something in the strut mount?..not too sure how to check that without removing though. Doesn't happen too often on my car that it's worrisome, but I'm open to other suggestions to look at.

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
front end squeak

Mine did the same, dealer put chassis ears on and ordered in the end links. Still waiting on parts so cant say if it will fix it but I bet it will.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Bad strut bearings/bushings will creak/groan/thump when the strut is working (compressing/extending), sometimes more noticeable around corners. Bad sway bar end link bushings will "rattle" when crossing railroad tracks or rough pavement. CV joints will tick/clack around corners.

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
Bad strut bearings/bushings will creak/groan/thump when the strut is working (compressing/extending), sometimes more noticeable around corners. Bad sway bar end link bushings will "rattle" when crossing railroad tracks or rough pavement. CV joints will tick/clack around corners.
Probably not the same issue, but I had an annoying metallic click at times when going over bumps from the rear of the Golf. In my case greasing the hatch lock and strike pin made it go away.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
software fix for P2463 and P2458

see: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469809

seems there is a TSB out that advises a software update is needed for the fault codes below

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/2015_DPF_TSB.pdf

TSB above addresses DPF problems on 2015 TDIs which need a software update.

Fault Code Fault Description

P2463 Diesel Particulate Filter Soot Accumulation
P2458 Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Duration

Note:​
DO NOT diagnose or replace components due to DPF faults before performing the update function as explained​
in this bulletin.​

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
Ok, I know this sounds retarted but has anyone else sliced their hand or finger on the trim around the automatic shifter once you open the door forward of it? That silver piece is extremely sharp, i've sliced my dang thumb on it twice…. Am I the only one? Thanks.