Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
One "issue" I had was a rattle that sounded to me like it was coming from the windshield. It turns out it was my sunglasses in the sunglass holder! I'm thinking of adding some foam padding, but I haven't gotten around to it.

On a related note, the rubber in the sunglasses compartment mars lenses, so it's necessary to store glasses lens side up.

dpulling

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I learned the TDI sold in the US comes only with a manual for a gasoline model. Every reference to engine care, all of the specifications, capacities and oil standards are for the gasoline engine. There is no reference to AdBlue or to diesel fuel requirements. VW of America customer service rep says "I regret our owner's manuals are not trim specific." Does this irritate anyone else?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Really? My Mk6 manuals mention diesel related information when necessary.

There is nothing regarding diesel fuel requirements or a warning not to use start assist fluids in the diesel engine?

Is there a supplement somewhere?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I learned the TDI sold in the US comes only with a manual for a gasoline model. Every reference to engine care, all of the specifications, capacities and oil standards are for the gasoline engine. There is no reference to AdBlue or to diesel fuel requirements. VW of America customer service rep says "I regret our owner's manuals are not trim specific." Does this irritate anyone else?
Mine has information about both engine types. It's not trim specific, because it covers both engines and all trim levels. Mine definitely has information about AdBlue and diesel fuel requirements. If yours doesn't, I would insist on the correct one...

Really? My Mk6 manuals mention diesel related information when necessary.

There is nothing regarding diesel fuel requirements or a warning not to use start assist fluids in the diesel engine?

Is there a supplement somewhere?
It's very much like your Mk6 manual.

dpulling

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
MK VII TDI Owner's Manual

Mine has information about both engine types. It's not trim specific, because it covers both engines and all trim levels. Mine definitely has information about AdBlue and diesel fuel requirements. If yours doesn't, I would insist on the correct one...
It's very much like your Mk6 manual.
I've been insisting on the correct one since August. The dealership is telling me all new TDIs delivered there come with the same manual, the one I have. I am now surprised and grateful to learn that there is a complete manual, at least in Massachusetts!
The only supplement I've been supplied is an email from customer services with oil specs and capacities. Still no references to AdBlue.
When did you take delivery on your MK VII Andy?

Last edited:

mp94

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI Trendline (6 Speed Manual)
I've been insisting on the correct one since August. The dealership is telling me all new TDIs delivered there come with the same manual, the one I have. I am now surprised and grateful to learn that there is a complete manual, at least in Massachusetts!
The only supplement I've been supplied is an email from customer services with oil specs and capacities. Still no references to AdBlue.
I am from Toronto, Canada and had the same issue. I took delivery in September and the manual I received with the car only had gasoline engine specifics - nothing about diesel. I called and complained to the dealership, they said that is the manual that comes with the car. I called VW Canada and got a rude customer service rep who kept insisting that I just was not looking in the right spots in my manual. She even pulled a copy that they had at head office and was referencing page numbers that had the diesel information. I kept telling her that I did not have that information and she just kept repeating the same thing to me.

Finally, I contacted the VW Technical Literature Ordering Center (https://www.vw.techliterature.com/consumer/) and they were very helpful. They confirmed that based on the print date and part number on the back of my manual, it only had gasoline information. They provided me the correct part number for the updated manual and said I could order it. I was not about to pay for the correct manual of a brand new car.

I called the parts department from the dealership I bought it from and asked the rep to order the updated manual for me. He was not able to locate it because their system had not been updated yet (he could not even find a way to order any 2015 Golf manual). I waited a few weeks and called back. He found the manual but said he would have to charge me for it. I told him to speak to my sales rep and that I would bring back the original manual. They finally agreed to pay for it and four weeks after ordering it finally came in! With all the diesel information included! They also let me keep the original manual.

So my advice: keep pushing your dealership to order the new manual.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I took delivery 8/11/14. My manual number is below:

From the following two images, you can see that it has references to both AdBlue and Diesel fuel (it also talks a lot about gasoline).

dpulling

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Thank you both, gentlemen. After learning that a correct manual (andyrooski17) was out there, I called VWoA Customer CARE again and insisted that I had the wrong manual. The agent went online and found one, and we compared pages, which confirmed what I'd been alleging: no diesel data - different manual. I was referred to my Regional Case Manager, who had earlier informed me that only one manual for the Golf existed. She conceded that I had been given the wrong manual and referred me to the Ordering Center, where I knew I'd have to pay. I declined that offer. Then she said she'd work with the dealership to get the correct one, but I'd been down that avenue before. I insisted that VWoA mail me the correct manual and I said I'd had a poor experience with follow-through at Parr VW in Bremerton, WA (among so many other things - they left my last name out of the service data base so that I could only be referenced by VIN#. With no correct name, I was not getting recall information by mail). I said I no longer trusted them to help me. Voilá, she confirmed my home mailing address.

Last edited:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Admirable perseverance, I hope you get what you need.

It bears mentioning that the manual is kind of available on knowyourvw.com, although I just checked and it seems to be the gas-only version as well, with no obvious option to switch...

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
New issue;
No bass from speakers when it's in the minus double digits, speakers sound like tin cans till it warms up.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Q400Pylot

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
New issue;
No bass from speakers when it's in the minus double digits, speakers sound like tin cans till it warms up.

I have a feeling that these doors aren't sealed very well and either let water in that freezes or just get incredibly cold soaked due to some design issue. It would make sense because my internal door components freeze.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I have a feeling that these doors aren't sealed very well and either let water in that freezes or just get incredibly cold soaked due to some design issue. It would make sense because my internal door components freeze.
What does a freezing door have to so with a speaker issue?
Get some silicone spray and coat all the doors and the rubber seals and put your issue to bed.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
A minor issue: I discovered that display of cover art in the infotainment system is sporadic, and traced the cause: The system doesn't display cover art when it's larger than 300x300 pixels. (Maybe smaller, too; I haven't tested with smaller images.) Most of the images in MP3s I've downloaded are bigger than this, hence the problem. The solution is simple for me: I wrote a script to alter the image size in the MP3s on the SD card in the car. Here it is, in case anybody else has the problem and runs Linux:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to convert images embedded in MP3 files to a size of 300x300.
# Relies on imagemagick and eyeD3 packages to do the real work.
#
# Usage: ./resize_mp3_images
#
# Type in the root of a directory tree to be converted. All MP3 files
# in all subdirectories will be converted.
#
# Licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL, version 2 or later
#
# By Rod Smith, 1/13/2015

SAVEIFS=$IFS
IFS=$(echo -en "\n\b")

rm -f /tmp/FRONT_COVER.jpeg /tmp/re_FRONT_COVER.jpeg

for file in `find ./ -iname "*.mp3"` ; do
    eyeD3 -i /tmp/ "${file}"
    ORIG=nonexistent_file
    if [[ -f /tmp/FRONT_COVER.jpeg ]] ; then
        ORIG=/tmp/FRONT_COVER.jpeg
    elif [[ -f /tmp/FRONT_COVER.png ]] ; then
        ORIG=/tmp/FRONT_COVER.png
    fi

if [[ -f "${ORIG}" ]] ; then
        SIZE=`identify "${ORIG}" | cut -d " " -f 3`
        if [[ $SIZE != "300x300" ]] ; then
            eyeD3 --remove-images "${file}"
            convert -resize 300x300\! "${ORIG}" /tmp/re_FRONT_COVER.jpeg
            eyeD3 --add-image=/tmp/re_FRONT_COVER.jpeg:FRONT_COVER "${file}"
        else
            echo "Image is already 300x300; not resizing...."
        fi
    fi
    rm -f /tmp/FRONT_COVER.* /tmp/re_FRONT_COVER.jpeg
done

IFS=$SAVEIFS
Note that the script relies on both the eyed3 and imagemagick packages. (I ran it in Ubuntu, but it should run on other distributions, and maybe even non-Linux Unix-like systems if you've got the right software installed.) To use it, enter the directory tree that holds your MP3s and run the script. It will resize images to 300x300 for that directory and all subdirectories. It doesn't touch images if they're already 300x300. I recommend backing up your MP3s, or running the script only on copies on your car's SD card, in case there's a bug and the script trashes your files.

I also get no images on files played via Bluetooth, but I haven't yet investigated if this has the same cause or if it's something else.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Get some silicone spray and coat all the doors and the rubber seals and put your issue to bed.

I'm a materials scientist at an audio product company, and I can say that the thought of speakers having to work at -20 makes me cringe. The moving parts in the speaker can act much stiffer at those temps, which would definitely cut out some bass, hence the "tin can" sound.

I'd say it's perfectly normal, and can happen without any major leak or whatever (you'd have bigger problems if that happened). The good news is, it's reversible. They will go back to playing normally when they warm up, which I think you've already stated.

Just do the speakers a personal favor and don't blast the speed metal until they do warm up ;)

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Nuisance

Lol, it's more of a nuisance than an issue

Jason,

What exactly is the nuisance? the no bass or the minus double digits? LOL Man thats cold technically that would take us all the way to -99.

Ron

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
AD blue issue

I got a check engine light on my mk7 golf tdi at 6,000 miles. Brought it back to the dealer and it turned out to be a leak in one of the AD blue Lines. At least it was covered under warranty

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
The doors are actually sealed very well - which is why you get that solid thunk when you close it and why I have to repeatetedly go back and re-close my door because it is so well sealed that the air pressure prevents the door from fully closing unless you exert a fair amount more force than it feels like you should have to.

Q400Pylot

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S

First off that's not the correct way to fix the issue. Secondly it's the interior components of the door freezing. That same issue is likely happening to your car speakers. My speakers sound just fine in negative temp weather.

Q400Pylot

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
The doors are actually sealed very well - which is why you get that solid thunk when you close it and why I have to repeatetedly go back and re-close my door because it is so well sealed that the air pressure prevents the door from fully closing unless you exert a fair amount more force than it feels like you should have to.
The cabin is sealed very well the internal door is not. Hence why mine was allowing the locks cables and handle to all freeze.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
The cabin is sealed very well the internal door is not. Hence why mine was allowing the locks cables and handle to all freeze.
hmmm - I take mine through the high pressure laser wash a couple times a week in single digit (F) temps and my doors work just fine.

Not sure how the cabin could be sealed but the internal door, which is inside the cabin, wouldn't also be sealed.

Maybe its just yours.

dpulling

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
MK VII TDI Owner's Manual

Admirable perseverance, I hope you get what you need.
It bears mentioning that the manual is kind of available on knowyourvw.com, although I just checked and it seems to be the gas-only version as well, with no obvious option to switch...
No fat lady singing yet. My arrangement with VW Customer CARE was to order a new one from VW Tech Lit and have the cost refunded by VW. The package arrived with the same wrong manual again. The owner's manual "kit" is boxed to contain the document wallet which includes both the manual and the warranty/maintenance booklet. The box bears a part number for the "Golf USA 2015," but there is no way to see what editions are inside. Clearly, there are two versions of the manual floating around, under one VW part number. The Tech Lit contact actually looked through boxes to find the right manual, and sent me photos of what she found, but none with the bar code of the gas/diesel manual. i wonder what MP94's dealer did to find the right one?

mp94

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI Trendline (6 Speed Manual)
No fat lady singing yet. My arrangement with VW Customer CARE was to order a new one from VW Tech Lit and have the cost refunded by VW. The package arrived with the same wrong manual again. The owner's manual "kit" is boxed to contain the document wallet which includes both the manual and the warranty/maintenance booklet. The box bears a part number for the "Golf USA 2015," but there is no way to see what editions are inside. Clearly, there are two versions of the manual floating around, under one VW part number. The Tech Lit contact actually looked through boxes to find the right manual, and sent me photos of what she found, but none with the bar code of the gas/diesel manual. i wonder what MP94's dealer did to find the right one?
I don't think my dealer did anything special - just ordered whatever copy was available. It came in the same package as you described. I'm not at home this weekend but I can get you the barcode off my box and book. But I don't think that would be of any help because it will be the Canadian version.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

dpulling

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Mk VII Owner's Manual

They did find a Canadian version that probably had the combined engine data, but it was in French. Thanks, but I think we've got the part number on the kit box right. It is the bar coded number on the manual itself that is getting mixed up.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
They did find a Canadian version that probably had the combined engine data, but it was in French. Thanks, but I think we've got the part number on the kit box right. It is the bar coded number on the manual itself that is getting mixed up.
I consider myself lucky; I've got a manual with diesel information (diesel fuel, DEF details, etc.). It came with the car. I'm happy to check for bar code numbers if that would help you.

Sonic_Sound

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black, ALH
I'm a materials scientist at an audio product company, and I can say that the thought of speakers having to work at -20 makes me cringe. The moving parts in the speaker can act much stiffer at those temps, which would definitely cut out some bass, hence the "tin can" sound.
I'd say it's perfectly normal, and can happen without any major leak or whatever (you'd have bigger problems if that happened). The good news is, it's reversible. They will go back to playing normally when they warm up, which I think you've already stated.
Just do the speakers a personal favor and don't blast the speed metal until they do warm up ;)
Cool job!! One of my biggest hobbies is sound reproduction and pro PA systems and home audio systems. Temperatures will definitely affect the workings of a speaker and how they sound. The speakers in my 03 are the same way, after listening to a bit of music at a low to normal volume the voice coils heat up and they sound normal again. Im looking into buying a MK7 Golf TDI within the next few months and was cruising this post for problems. Im glad none sound to major yet. My only complaint is not being able to actually build cars to order anymore. Slightly upsetting. Carry on! :)

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Cool job!! One of my biggest hobbies is sound reproduction and pro PA systems and home audio systems. Temperatures will definitely affect the workings of a speaker and how they sound. The speakers in my 03 are the same way, after listening to a bit of music at a low to normal volume the voice coils heat up and they sound normal again. Im looking into buying a MK7 Golf TDI within the next few months and was cruising this post for problems. Im glad none sound to major yet. My only complaint is not being able to actually build cars to order anymore. Slightly upsetting. Carry on! :)
Good luck, hopefully you can find a car to your desired specs. As for the sound in the Mk7, I can't speak for the base system, but the "Fender Premium Audio" is decent. I haven't gotten a chance to do any spectral measurements of the audio response, so I just EQ'd by ear, and all I had to do was knock down the highs a bit.

I will also say that I think it sounds the best in the driver's seat (where I spend most of my time), and noticeably different in the backseat or passenger seat. The system only has 8 speakers plus sub, which isn't a lot for a "premium" system, so it makes sense that they would optimize for the driver's experience.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
Thanks. Is it 1525U1G0723?
Yes. There are also a bunch of other codes on the back. Here's a scan:

The manual definitely has diesel information. For instance, pages 298-301 are about SCR/AdBlue/DEF.

I hope this helps you track down a suitable manual!