MK6 Quest for 900+ mile tank

Craneguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle (sold), 2014 BMW 328d
Scoutx,

First of all, a huge congratulations on your mileage feat. Well done, sir. I can't wait to see your Fuelly updated with that huge spike after this trip.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Scoutx,

First of all, a huge congratulations on your mileage feat. Well done, sir. I can't wait to see your Fuelly updated with that huge spike after this trip.
Next on my list of things to do, along with updating the May mpg list.

hutchmanhd

TDI
03 tdi
Scoutx, thanks for sharing both the journey to get to your endpoint and sharing your techniques. The post on techniques used was an eye opener for me. In the past, i have used most of what you discussed, but over time, I tend to drop some off or forget.

I will never achieve what you have done with my NB, but thanks for the wake up on daily driving techniques.

Again, congrats!

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
True, some are contrary to the way most people drive, including myself, and can even result in tickets...but some can be used more or less in daily drives to push up the mpg with minimal impact on anything else.

The one skill that I think is most worthwhile is that of looking much further down the road and planning at least somewhat for events before you get to them or they occur.

One lesson my parents taught me, is to always keep in mind exactly where your escape path is. In short, if something happens, in what direction(s) can you dodge to safety...or at least a less dangerous situation/crash. I always kept that in mind for the cars directly around me, but know I'm planning much further in advance of that. So, some of the lessons of this teaches does make one a better driver at other times.

Not every person or driving situation will allow you to drive massive mpg, but if you're getting 30 and can boost that to 40...then that's a bigger boost than going from 48 to 61. So take what you've got now and see if you can get a 10% increase...if you can even if that's only 5 miles per gallon...then you've succeeded. Sure the big numbers are more impressive, but in the end it's the percentage of increase you gain from what you have now to whatever goal you want to set.

All I can say in closing is I'm looking forward to the weekend...this run was mentally, emotionally, and so some degree physically exhausting. Particularly the nail biting finish to get those last miles needed. Wound up and utterly drained pretty much summed it up last night.

Last edited:

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
True, some are contrary to the way most people drive, including myself, and can even result in tickets...but some can be used more or less in daily drives to push up the mpg with minimal impact on anything else.

The one skill that I think is most worthwhile is that of looking much further down the road and planning at least somewhat for events before you get to them or they occur.

One lesson my parents taught me, is to always keep in mind exactly where your escape path is. In short, if something happens, in what direction(s) can you dodge to safety...or at least a less dangerous situation/crash. I always kept that in mind for the cars directly around me, but know I'm planning much further in advance of that. So, some of the lessons of this teaches does make one a better driver at other times.

Not every person or driving situation will allow you to drive massive mpg, but if you're getting 30 and can boost that to 40...then that's a bigger boost than going from 48 to 61. So take what you've got now and see if you can get a 10% increase...if you can even if that's only 5 miles per gallon...then you've succeeded. Sure the big numbers are more impressive, but in the end it's the percentage of increase you gain from what you have now to whatever goal you want to set.

All I can say in closing is I'm looking forward to the weekend...this run was mentally, emotionally, and so some degree physically exhausting. Particularly the nail biting finish to get those last miles needed. Wound up and utterly drained pretty much summed it up last night.
While it's not realistic for anyone to expect anywhere close to 1000 miles in everyday driving on a tank, congrats on showing us what is possible through extreme hypermiling.

I still drive using basic hypermiling techniques when the situation permits, but I almost got into an accident "brown nosing" a semi (like you mentioned in an earlier post). After nearly slamming into the back of it, my first realization was "what the hell am I doing? I'll admit that it's a fun game seeing just how far you can push a tank but the risk wasn't worth the reward. And really, what is the reward...saving five bucks on a fill up? For me; I'll just stay safe, take 40MPG, and call it a day.

Again, congratulations. I'm pretty sure that's a record with an MK6.

Last edited:

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
vent mod on MK6...

Scoutx said: Well, it's not going to happen this year, and almost certainly never at least as a stock, because now that I've accomplished this, next chance I get I'm installing the long delayed vent mod for the Mk6's so if it's done I won't be able to call it a stock car anymore...but on the plus side it would probably allow me to squeeze in a bit more since I could get more air out of the tank.

I thought vent MOD wasn't possible on the newer TDIs?:confused:

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Scoutx said: Well, it's not going to happen this year, and almost certainly never at least as a stock, because now that I've accomplished this, next chance I get I'm installing the long delayed vent mod for the Mk6's so if it's done I won't be able to call it a stock car anymore...but on the plus side it would probably allow me to squeeze in a bit more since I could get more air out of the tank.

I thought vent MOD wasn't possible on the newer TDIs?:confused:
There is a vent mod, but it's a bit more complex in the Mk6

Jerod's Vent Mod

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
While it's not realistic for anyone to expect anywhere close to 1000 miles in everyday driving on a tank, congrats on showing us what is possible through extreme hypermiling.

I still drive using basic hypermiling techniques when the situation permits, but I almost got into an accident "brown nosing" a semi (like you mentioned in an earlier post). After nearly slamming into the back of it, my first realization was "what the hell am I doing? I'll admit that it's a fun game seeing just how far you can push a tank but the risk wasn't worth the reward. And really, what is the reward...saving five bucks on a fill up? For me; I'll just stay safe, take 40MPG, and call it a day.

Again, congratulations. I'm pretty sure that's a record with an MK6.
As I said some of these were done only for this run. Close in drafting being a particular case in point. As I may have mentioned I tried it a few times, but pretty quickly realized the gains were minimal for the risk and simply running at my target speed produced generally similar mileage and far greater safety over the distances I was running. On short runs, it can run up your numbers pretty quickly, but the amount of fuel actually saved is still quite minimal. So yes, some of hypermiling just doesn't produce savings enough to do on a regular basis for the risk they entail and even on something like this really can't be justified. Sure, I may have been able to do more and push my mpg up 1 maybe 2 miles per gallon...but the risk just wasn't worth it. Now whether I could have done 1000 without any such efforts is unknown, and probably will remain unknown because I'm unlikely to ever attempt it again, but if I were to do it again, I would likely avoid any such drafting. It's just not worth it for the minimal gains. Slowing down yields similar results with less risk...at least for you hitting someone else. In closing some hypermiling methods are illegal and usually because they are very risky. Not for day to day driving no matter how much you may want to boost mpg.

Pick a balance that is comfortable for you. If that gives you 45 mpg, then go with it. If you get 50mpg then go with it. But as stated above, it's not worth getting in a wreck, even a minor fender bender to save $5 of fuel. So play it smart and avoid the hypermiling methods that increase your risk. It's just not worth it, generally.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
After your 1000 mile run, we can expect another dozen or so "What's wrong with my MPG??" threads. :)

To your point, balance is the key. Hypermiling does offer more situational awareness, and generally produces better drivers but there's a point where the fun in the quest for record FE numbers can become an obsession - and even dangerous.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Congratulations!

I did 780 with my last tank on a NMS Passat. Now, I'm pretty sure I can get 800 with another tank.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, obsessions of almost any type are not good, moderation in all things is usually better. When I joined, an 800 tank simply hadn't been done. Then one day, almost by accident, I produced a run that if continued would easily allow an 800 tank. So one day I attempted a run for the purpose of showing those who said it couldn't be done, that it could be done in a mk6. Later others have duplicated this. Yet even as far back as the 800 mile tank, I saw the possibility that a 900 mile tank might be possible, and even a 1000 mile tank could, in theory, be obtained. So once again I 'climbed Everest' to chart undiscovered territory. That it turned out to be a 1000 mile run was beyond any expectations I had. Things just sort of 'fell into place', and I wasn't sure until the very end if I would make it, or come up short. I think, I can safely say, I've gone as far as I intent to, and the undiscovered mileage numbers are going to remain for someone else to discover, if they can. I do believe that an 1100 mile tank could be possible....but it would take the most serious dedication and probably a dedicated trip just for that sole purpose. Turning your day to day commutes and travel to that goal isn't going to make it. Even for what I did there were a couple of times I burned mileage due to projected weather conditions. Looking back, I doubt I would have made it without them. For me, once was enough, and I've reached my limit...unless say VW would care to sponsor me, and cover all expenses and pay me for the effort then I might consider it. Emphasis on might.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Very amazing the dedication you had to the endeavor. I practice many of the techniques on my commutes, but I will just can't do it all of the time.

Very entertaining and I really thought it was fun to watch it unfold.

Rob

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, that's sort of why I started posting almost from the start so that people could follow along, and whether I succeeded or failed, people could see what was being done as it unfolded. I really expected at least a couple of false starts as a bad run would screw up my numbers so bad I would have to start over, and at one point it was pretty close, but I managed to dig deep and get a really great run which helped boost my confidence to push on anyway. If that run had gone south, I probably would have refueled and started the whole thing over. All in all, I'm just as glad I didn't have to.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Scout I can't do it!!!
Toady I obtained this , drafting a semi at 100kph for about 20 miles , works out to 58.8 mpg

Sent from my POS iPhone

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
Sometimes drafting can hurt you by making you accelerate at the wrong places to keep close.

I might get another 800 on this tank, but I can't see 900 even on the horizon. I am amazed at how much work this must have taken.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
As mentioned drafting can help and it can hurt, but getting your mpg up to those numbers after 20 miles is still pretty good and probably typical. You have to remember, you're also dragging up that low mileage you had before you got on the highway. So go 30-40 miles and you would likely have been into 60mpg territory...but it is very risky. You have no idea of what's going on down the road, and you're hoping you can back off quickly enough if the tractor decides to do something. I would NOT recommend it as a normal practice....sooner or later the odds will catch up to you.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Wow Scout you have major T-Rex sized Nuts lol. I chickened out after driving 20 miles on the empty light. You dragged it out quite a bit.

Question:
How far do you think you would've made it if it had been pure highway? What impressed me most about your tank, was the simple fact you did multiple trips on it! Lets say a drive down I-81? I ask because my two best tanks have been driving through Virginia on I-81. I got 54.7 and 53.4 driving from the Poconos to Chattanooga TN. I personally think states like VA, PA, and TN are optimal for high MPG numbers. Not much traffic (if planned carefully and avoid 95 in both VA and PA), rolling hills optimal for coasting, constant lower speed limit 55-65 (although 81 through VA is now 70 along with TN but NBD), tonnes of trucks to draft behind at the right moment and a source of quality fuel. I achieved both tanks with minimal expertise in Hypermiling techniques. My PSI I keep at 36 all the time, as I drive 90-95% HWY, I used Power Service, fueled only at BP by Amoco and didn't go over 75. I kept it mainly at 65-72. Also only one stop each trip. Both times I did it at rest stops that were either on flat ground or at the end of a decline to coast into. I really do think that with your knowledge and expertise on hypermiling, coupled with low rolling resistance tires, power service and BP you could easily surpass that 1000 mile mark....What do you think?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Forgot to add the added element of VA State Police....They do not play games, especially when you have out of state tags lol...They keep your speed in check.
Also our cars don't suffer too badly on the upper speeds if you throttle them correctly. The more I think about it, quite a bit of the drive is spent in the 72-78 mph range. WVA, VA and TN all have posted speeds here. PA is 65 and then around Harrisburg is 55. MD is 60, but I didn't count that as you only spend 15 minutes driving through the state.

I have to agree that the weather does have a big play on MPG. Both time weaher was in low 50's...Dry too. IDK if that helps. Car had close to 20k miles on both trips.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it could be possible to top 1,100 in a dedicated trip or perhaps over 2-3 trips with nearly 100% highway, the right conditions, proper technique and a fair amount of luck. However, it would be an utter PITA, working to the ragged edge of your fuel load from the get-go with near zero margin for error and fatigue could quickly become a critical issue.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Awesome work, You are for sure the first 1000 mile tank but i beat you to 900 and unvented. I wasnt far off 1000 and towing ect during my well over 900 tank i feel i could join the 1000 if i felt the need to baby it for a whole tank but its pretty hard and boring lol

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome work, You are for sure the first 1000 mile tank but i beat you to 900 and unvented. I wasnt far off 1000 and towing ect during my well over 900 tank i feel i could join the 1000 if i felt the need to baby it for a whole tank but its pretty hard and boring lol
Well, this was unvented in that no mods have been made to the car, but vented in that I did work to get extra air out.

And it is certainly is a challenge and a PITA to get these kind of tanks.

Totally managed to miss your 900 mile tank :eek:, maybe because it was in km, but let me congratulate you now even if it is a bit after the fact.

So let's see, I was first to 800, you were first to 900, and I was first to 1000. I suppose that means it's your turn to go for 1,100 :D.

Actually, I'm quite happy to see you got to 900, because it shows that my tank wasn't a fluke. Indeed the only real difference between your 900 and my 1000 was a small bump in mpg and my sloshing the fuel tank to get air out and more fuel in.

Of course, I'm probably just as happy I didn't know about it ahead of time, or I may not have tried my run which ended up better than I expected. So I guess it was meant to be.

Last edited:

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I read this post back in May and thought I might one day try to do something similar. For me the goal was 800 miles on my MKV Jetta as it seemed a good goal. But the prospect of driving with no AC or even the fan on in DC traffic killed that idea.

Then last week came around. Unseasonably cool temperatures combined with a class I had to take which more than doubled my normal 50 mile round trip commute plus I just happened to need to fill up first thing Monday, 28 July and I decided this would be when I'd try it. I had to suffer through yesterday and today driving home with no AC so I could keep things consistent but I made it further than I ever thought I would on one tank and really no one telling me how to drive efficiently other than what I've read here.

Final number for me was 873.5 miles on 15.016 gallons totaling 58.17mpg, smashing my previous record! I don't think I'll end up trying this again this year but I wish I would have remembered to take a pic of my MFD with the receipt before resetting it. I hurried myself up for another TDI in line at the only diesel pump and forgot.

Thanks for the inspiration Scoutx!

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Wow, awesome!

What were your driving conditions? Road, tires, speed, temperature, ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interstate from Eau Claire wi to Bloomington Indiana and back. Cruise control set at 61 ish most of the time. 40 degrees F most of the time. Continental Eco plus AS stock size 16's. I'm modded tho.....mainly cross winds but no head winds.

At 55mph cruise it will average 70+mpg, next time the stars align I'll go for my 1,000 mile tank.

MAXecutive

TDI
Jetta VI
This is great. Congrats to everyone.

How far are you guys running past the 0 miles to empty mark? I have ran 10 miles past and I was very nervous doing so... I noticed recently that the 0 DTE will come one before the last 1/16 bar on the tank goes away. It may take another 5 miles or so for that to dissapear.

Are you always manually topping off your tank? I purchase gas in a state where law mandates full service so I never fill past the first stop. The most I have gotten into a tank was 14.316 gallons. I am not sure how much more I can push the the tank.

Does the tire pressure seem to be more effective? I'm curious to try changing that alone and see what difference I get without changing any driving habbits.