MK6 Quest for 900+ mile tank

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Ok, time to start documenting this so folks can follow along.

Filled up the other day, and did some donuts and slaloms to slosh fuel in tank and work air to filler. Topped off and repeated until I could get no more air out. Addition of about 1.2 gallons to already full tank resulting in 'superfull' tank.

(note: I will try to add the pictures later today)

Please excuse the picture quality, some of these are not the best.

Near end of run this afternoon I was:

122.0 miles on the clock
Computer showed 810 miles left in tank

At the end of the run I was 127.x on the clock
Computer showed 820 miles left in the tank
(no clear picture - took one but it smeared and I didn't notice until I looked just now)

Analysis: I am about 47 miles above that necessary for 900 mile tank. I don't think fuel level is down to sending unit yet. See 'superfull above'.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Evening trip.

195.4 on the clock
Computer shows 785 to go.

Analysis: I should be about 75-80 miles over that needed for 900 mile tank

I'm not sure if I'm down to the sending unit yet, but should be so above may be 'accurate' as far as the computer is concerned, but based on past experience, you drop quicker towards the end of a tank so subtract 20-30 miles for end of tank drop off.

Now if I can just hold it together for a bit over 700 miles more..... wish me luck.

Last edited:

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
Evening trip.

195.4 on the clock
Computer shows 785 to go.

<insert picture #2 here>

Analysis: I should be about 75-80 miles over that needed for 900 mile tank

I'm not sure if I'm down to the sending unit yet, but should be so above may be 'accurate' as far as the computer is concerned, but based on past experience, you drop quicker towards the end of a tank so subtract 20-30 miles for end of tank drop off.

Now if I can just hold it together for a bit over 700 miles more..... wish me luck.
I concur a loss of 20 or so miles at the end. I did make it 103 miles with the low fuel light on.

Good luck

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I've already done 800 mile tanks....twice.....once to show it could be done in a Mk6 and later when I was running late but still had the range..but proves it can be repeated.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Had to pick up my in-law today.

Trip there, I topped out at 1010 (note did have 1015 indicated for awhile, and one brief spike to 1020) mile range combined between actual and remaining range provided by the computer.

Trip back however, didn't allow me to maintain much hypermiling so I lost a good part of my cushion, but 900 is still probable so continuing the run.

Note: Lost two blips on fuel gauge, one just before end of trip so should have about 3/4 of tank left

357.7 on the clock
600 remaining range indicated.

PS having a pain trying to get Verizon's online album to work so I can transfer pictures from my phone, but still working on it. Plan to call customer support tomorrow to get the issue resolved. Last time I get a phone that doesn't allow direct download to my PC via USB or memory card.

Last edited:

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Sign up for Dropbox. A basic cloud service that's free and enables picture uploads between multiple devices.

In any case, I'm excited to see if you can get to 900!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I subscribed to this thread and been trying to get the best mileage I can with this car, 2013 jetta tdi

So far...110kph,19deg C cruise on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes! :D Yes! :D Yes! :D

Perfect run...regained much of my cushion & established a personal best for MPG.

Take that you Mk4 guys with your 60mpg and bathtub sized fuel tanks...

Anyway, end of morning run.

420.9 miles on the clock
675 range indicated.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Evening Run.

479.6 on the clock
Range at 520 miles

Note: Dropped to 5/8ths at 475 miles.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me take a moment here to comment...that doing this sort of hypermiling is a PITA and it might all come to naught if conditions fall apart. T'storms today and tomorrow...Rain on Fri.... Rain may well spell the end of this, or at the very least kill any slight chance that may exist for a 1,000 mile tank, assuming the computer is at all accurate.

Pray for me.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I subscribed to this thread and been trying to get the best mileage I can with this car, 2013 jetta tdi

So far...110kph,19deg C cruise on
You've got a chance to run an 800 mile tank there. A lot depends if you can improve a bit on your economy over the next 1000km. Otherwise you may come up short and/or have to drive really deep into the tank beyond zero miles remaining.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just out of curiosity how many miles are on your jetta?
I'm currently at 33,000 kms or 20,500 miles , I'm afraid to push it past the fuel up now light .
I used to have a 2010 GSW (3271lbs) and acheived this once, I suspect the jetta (3210 lbs) will yield about the same or better mileage in another 30-40 k

That's 72.1mpg below

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

i only just cracked a 600 mile tank on my 2.0tdi golf! (I should add that was with 52l of diesel until the light first flashed on)

currently at 114,000 miles and doing a lot of motorway mileage, what kind of speeds are you doing to get that 900 tank? i'd be more than happy to get 650/700!

the 600 tank was probably 480/500 motorway miles sitting at 70-75mph with maybe a bit faster at moments.

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I am really excited to see a possible 1000 mile tank, but I know it doesn't take much to undo a lot of the cushion.

A 700 mile tank is pretty easy, but you have to say goodbye to 70-75 on the highway.

No.2

TDI
2009 JSW
sheesh and i was thinking id be doing really well if i got over 700 miles out of my current tank.

good luck dude!!!

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Just out of curiosity how many miles are on your jetta?
I'm currently at 33,000 kms or 20,500 miles , I'm afraid to push it past the fuel up now light .
I used to have a 2010 GSW (3271lbs) and acheived this once, I suspect the jetta (3210 lbs) will yield about the same or better mileage in another 30-40 k
Currently coming up on 75K miles

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Morning run went really well. Despite having to go over to Fishersville which meant going over the mountains both ways, logged an impressive 65.7 mpg (computer) over a run of 158 miles.

Currently I'm at 638.1 on the clock
410 miles range indicated.

Dropped to 1/2 tank at around 585 on the clock.

Just have to hold it together for a couple of more days......... With rain called for on Fri I'm almost tempted to burn some mileage over the next two days just to round out this tank, because if I hit rain the chance of a 1,000 mile tank is going to end and currently if I can hold it together it could occur. If I add another 40 or so miles to my commute each way then I could round out the tank Thursday and avoid the rain called for on Fri. Decisions...decisions...

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My drive home this morning in heavy rains killed any attempt at even 700 miles (1150 k)
These cars seem to be so temperamental to weather conditions and temperature

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Absolutely. Rain is murder when you're attempting those rarified mpg numbers. Which is why I think over the next couple of trips I'm going to add an hour to my commute and burn some mileage so I can run up those last 400 miles before the rain comes in.

Not the way I preferred to do it, but it's the only way to finish off a run that has already meant a lot of work...and I would LOVE to get that 1,000 mile tank.

And to think, at the start it was just trying to get 900...

What would be next? The 1100 mile tank? :p

Just have to remember to load my Jerry can of fuel and my laptop in the car Weds evening.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL....

Well about 400 miles to go....and a lot can still happen in that time.

I've pretty much decided to go ahead and extend my commutes to burn through the miles remaining because if there is any hope of a 1,000 mile tank it's got be done before any rain moves in.

Probably do the bulk of it night and tomorrow morning, that way if I have to I may be able to wrap it up Wed or stretch it to Thursday morning depending on events and mood.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

currently at 114,000 miles and doing a lot of motorway mileage, what kind of speeds are you doing to get that 900 tank?
Well, let's just say I'm not making any friends on the interstate...at least during the days.

When I'm running solo I'm sticking to 55mph. When I'm brown-nosing a tractor-trailer I'm running what they are up to about 65mph. Generally though I'm not actively seeking to brown nose, but will on occasion if I can find the right running partner. All in all though it seems about a wash, the higher speeds they run tends to cancel out the fuel savings of drafting, at least in large part unless you get in really tight. I've gotten to the point I don't watch my mpg numbers much, I find that to much of that 'throws me off my game' as I hunt to try to pump them up. Instead, I'm running with odometer and range generally and trying to stick to my game and watching the overall total to see how I'm doing. Will check on mpg on occasion, but just briefly to see where I'm at.

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
62 mph @ 1600 rpm seems to be the magic numbers, I regained some of last nights loss and back to 1210 total kms but it's still not even close to what you're getting in miles
Kudos to you bud

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I've tried 62, but not getting the numbers I get at 55. Thanks, I hope I can hold it together....

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
62 is too slow for the highways I drive and feel like I am being tailgated constantly let alone being boring lol
I'd say if I could do 55 I would but it is impractical for my commute daily

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
What was you average MPH?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
62 is too slow for the highways I drive and feel like I am being tailgated constantly let alone being boring lol
I'd say if I could do 55 I would but it is impractical for my commute daily

This... I drove to Montreal going around 107km/h (110 dash indicated) and thought my fuel gauge broke because it didn't move from full until I passed 300km... Once I got to Quebec my whole FE got screwed because of a tone of construction and traffic... If I remember correctly I got to my friends house with 557km on the trip odo and 3/4 of tank left or maybe a little more... Way back was a ton of traffic, construction, stretches of high speed and I still managed 1300km that tank... I'm sure if I kept going at that steady 107kmh pace I would've done way more... But I don't think I wanna do that long of a trip at that speed... I can do my 140km commute at 110 but not 500+ km in one drive...