MK6 Quest for 900+ mile tank

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Evening run.

Was going to go further, but being extremely tired and not being able to pay attention like I needed to, I just wasn't producing the numbers I needed. So I aborted the extended run other than a minor extension.

So I will rest up tonight, and try it again in the morning.

701.0 on the clock
305 range indicated.

Dropped to 3/8ths around 699.

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline - DSG
This is very impressive! I'm guessing if you got into any stop and go traffic, your great numbers would be out the door! Still very impressive to see the range on a single tank of fuel!

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
hypermilling

Scoutx,

what percentage of your driving is highway? and how much hypermilling are you doing?

I only coast down exit ramps (both in and out of gear)...generally drive the speed limit.

Are you worried that your hypermilling techniques might be bad for your engine/turbo?

I generally once a day let my rpms get up to 3k while getting onto the highway....

just wondering

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
I'm pretty jealous of this. I will most likely never see 600 miles on one tank in the 1.8TSI I have.

Rob

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Scoutx,

what percentage of your driving is highway?
Probably 90-95%

and how much hypermilling are you doing?
I'm doing some, tire pressures are around 42PSI, I coast a lot as I'm coming up to turns, lights, stop signs, etc. I've done some drafting, but not that much. I wasn't really gaining much given the higher speeds they generally run. Mostly just keeping speed down, and using methods to converse energy.

I only coast down exit ramps (both in and out of gear)...generally drive the speed limit.
Generally, I'm well below the speed limit, and not gaining friends doing so, but..... not much more to go. If I pull this off, I'm not sure I would ever try it again. It's just too much work, you're always trying to think 3-10 minutes ahead and planning what you're going to do not just for road conditions, but traffic, pot holes, construction, etc.

Are you worried that your hypermilling techniques might be bad for your engine/turbo?
Not really, since I'm not lugging then engine and I'm doing my best to avoid any sort of heavy throttle that would cause increase regens.

Now I will say that once this is done I will probably spend the next 100 miles...blowing out the engine. But as an occasional event, I don't see how this would do any harm. If you did it tank after tank...then carbon and gunk build-up could certainly become an issue.

I generally once a day let my rpms get up to 3k while getting onto the highway....

just wondering
I usually only run it up to 3K and beyond a couple of times a week just to keep the vans clear. Usually in 1st and 2nd. Maybe once a month will I hammer it as I'm accelerating up to highway speeds. Sometimes more, rarely less depends a lot on what sort of driving I've been doing, but I actively avoid babying it all the time. I make sure it gets at least a brief workout now and again.

But after this run... yea, she's going to get a workout just to make sure everything is blown out. :D

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
This is very impressive! I'm guessing if you got into any stop and go traffic, your great numbers would be out the door! Still very impressive to see the range on a single tank of fuel!
I've done a bit of stop and go, but again I do as much as possible to avoid any use of the brake. If I got into a big backup or something like that, it would certainly kill my numbers for that run and eat away at my cushion. As you can see, some of that is occurring, as I slowly lose 5 miles of range here... and 5 more over there.... But still hanging tough with about 10-15 mile cushion but still waiting for the sudden lose of 20-30 that occurs near the end of the tank. So far I think I can cover that with the fuel at the bottom of the tank.

It's going to be close. One more good run, and I think I will do it. If it goes south...that will crush the chance of a 1,000 mile. But at this point I have 900 locked in. Haven't posted the data for the evening run yet, but I'm sitting at 852.5 with 165 range at a 1/4 tank indicated dropped at 811, so closer to 3/16ths.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, 900 at least should be in the bag.
Short of getting totaled in the next 47 miles... :eek: :p

So far *knock on wood* this has worked out better than expected...and has been far more work than expected.

So I suppose I have achieved some sort of balance there. :rolleyes:

I have established that getting well over 60mpg is possible in a Mk6, but you can NOT be in any hurry, and conditions STILL have to be right.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Scout what you're doing is amazing and I have been trying my best to acheive 745 miles (1200km)
I dropped down to the speed limit at 100kph and had semis flashing lights behind me, jackasses to say te least when they hog the center lane all the time but regardless ...
Tonight on the way to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Scout what you're doing is amazing and I have been trying my best to acheive 745 miles (1200km)
I dropped down to the speed limit at 100kph and had semis flashing lights behind me, jackasses to say te least when they hog the center lane all the time but regardless ...
Tonight on the way to work
Works out to about 51.7 mpg. Not bad. You will find a lot of your trip loss actually occurs off the highway. General rule of thumb is that if you're using the brakes...you're losing fuel mileage. The rest is mainly being smooth and even in your driving looking ahead and planning how much and far you can coast to minimize having to use the brakes...and watching what the other cars may or could do to screw you up. That's actually a good skill to learn and I've found that boosting my mileage has actually made be a better driver at all time more prepared and ready to react to events as they occur.

So do you best, but remember posting super high mpg numbers can't be accomplished in every situation or condition, you have to consider the needs of your own environment and not excessively annoy other drivers.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Morning run

852.5 on the clock
165 Range indicated

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
It's done. Over. Finished. Completed. Ended.

It was a long tough road. I'm thankful for the support, and I'm pleased to announce....

I BROKE ONE THOUSAND MILES ON A SINGLE TANK IN A MK6!!!!!!

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, now for the final details.

Started evening run, broke 900 mile club...got out to C'ville and it started to drizzle. :eek:

Quick! Quick! Turn around head back east and hope it dries up.

Luckily, it did. But now I have to drive past my planned exit, turn around and drive back west....which exit...how far is it between exits....do I have enough fuel.....AARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 978.3 remaining range goes to zero. Oh, no....but wait the last blip on the gauge is still lit. Must mean there is still some fuel according to the sender. How much? Will it be enough.

Ok, hit my exit to turn around. Oh, No. Last blip goes out at 982.9. Is there enough to drive almost 20 miles past empty? What about the lights at the exit ramp? Will I have to drive around when I get there...

Get to the station...still need a bit more so pass the station, now I have to find a place to turn around. Still not at 1000, wasting fuel having to stop turn around and accelerate back up to speed.

Finally, hit 1000....but will I make the station?

Coast in, with engine still turning over.

Shut down. Breath a sigh of relief...and then SCREAM!!!!

Yes, folks....it's been an adventure, but the ending was a nail biter for me, that's the deepest I've ever taken the tank, and I hope I never take it that deep again.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Still wound up, but I've got to try and get some sleep. Final mpg calculations show 61.3 mpg for the tank. *buffs nails* not bad if I do say so myself.

However, at this point I can probably say that I will never do this again, it's just to much bleeding work and really takes the fun out of driving. Oh, it's fun to talk about having done it, but the actual doing, not nearly so much.

I will say this came off far better than I could have hoped for. I really figured I stood a good change to get a 900 mile after a few busted attempts, but to get a thousand, on the first attempt? Never would have bet on that. I've been playing with things on and off ever since the 800 mile tank, and found ways to increase the effective capacity of the tank by filling the air void without having to modify the tank, different experiments running at different speeds, drafting, tire pressure, and all the rest. Even as I performed this run, I tweaked my game as different events showed me where I could improve even over what I had already found out. If I could carry them out over a full tank....would 1100 be possible?

Well, it's not going to happen this year, and almost certainly never at least as a stock, because now that I've accomplished this, next chance I get I'm installing the long delayed vent mod for the Mk6's so if it's done I won't be able to call it a stock car anymore...but on the plus side it would probably allow me to squeeze in a bit more since I could get more air out of the tank.

Key issues I've found.

Yes, harder tires (more psi) do improve mpg, but makes the car ride like a brick over bumps.

Drafting can boost your mpg but only if your 'partner' is traveling at or just a bit above your target speed, and you get in really tight...otherwise it may start costing you mpg. Plus don't forget it can result in an unwanted stop and a ticket.

Traffic MUST be such that you can regularly stay at your target speed without causing mass backups behind you. Which again can result in an unwanted stop and a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. Rare, but they can be issued.

Longer trips pay off by reducing cold engines and the number of starts you have to make. Every time I made a new run I cost myself several miles I could have otherwise driven.

You need to read the road and try to stay where it's smooth without a bunch of potholes, patches or anything else that works the suspension. That's energy being absorbed by, primarily, the shock absorber and that means lost mpg.

A Nav system is a must as it lets you dynamically redefine your route should it have to be altered on the fly.

Plan your routes and test drive them, including any detours you may need. Any lights...learn the timing of them so you can hit them when they are green and any waiting cars are already in motion.

Is possible...do rolling stops on stop signs and hope no cops are around.

Brakes are a no-no. Avoid using them as much as possible.

Learn your shift points, and where you can and should shift depending on road conditions, uphill, downhill, etc.

Check your route before you leave and if at all possible monitor as you travel to avoid traffic jams.

Weather. It MUST be warm, but not hot, dry and no wind unless it gives you a tail wind.

In short, it takes a lot of prep, practice, planning, having just the right conditions, and a fair amount of good old luck.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Plus being patent and pig headed are necessary. Patent to keep doing this mile after mile and pig headed enough to refuse to give up part way through. :p

Nite all.:D

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Unbelievable is all I can say
Kudos to you

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Meanwhile... in Texas people have long distances to cover. hahah congrats on the distance. Texas 75-85mph speed limits sure do restrict how far I can go on a tank. I'm still happy with 600 at 75mph. Keep it going!

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
That's incredible! Congrats. But I do have to ask -- 1000.5 miles divided by 15.106 gallons is more like 66.2 mpg -- not 61.3. Did I over look something? Or did you just not fill 100% to the brim like the last time?

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
That's incredible! Congrats. But I do have to ask -- 1000.5 miles divided by 15.106 gallons is more like 66.2 mpg -- not 61.3. Did I over look something? Or did you just not fill 100% to the brim like the last time?
I added in the 1.203 for the superfill since I only filled to the lip. So that fuel was used on the run, but doesn't show up in this fillup. That's knocks my numbers down to 61.3. Not that I wouldn't love to get 66.2, given the run of 67.8 that may be possible depending on the error factor between the computer and RL, but to hold that over an entire tank....OMG. That's why I don't think I would ever obtain a 1100 mile tank. I can't even imagine trying that right now, and it would have to be a trip dedicated solely to that one and only purpose, and even then IMO it would be a long shot. Na, I think I've reached any realistic limit and while someone might be able to do it, I don't see myself ever being that person. But I will gladly cheer them on if they want to try.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats! I'm still hoping for 900 at some point, but I don't think I can do what you did.
Best thing I can suggest Enter, is do what you've done in the past to run up those big numbers...then cut your speed back to 55. That should make 900 possible. If you can slosh some air out of the tank then 900 should be fairly straight forward at that point. If you do, let me know as I would like to follow your attempt. Maybe you can get lucky and post your own 1K tank. Of course, last night I spent an additional 2 hours just driving around burning the last of that tank because my numbers simply didn't indicate any chance if I stopped and had to restart with a cold engine.

Oh, and FYI...when you hit 80 miles indicated.....it drops like a freaking rock. I swear I was losing 5 miles of range for every 2-3 miles driven....of course 5 miles indicaed lasted forever.

Let's see.

dropped to 75 at 914.5
dropped to 70 at 916.1
dropped to 65 at 918.2

after that I stopped taking pictures, and just worked on finishing my run...if I could.

Oh, by 40 though it sort of flattened out and didn't drop off as quickly.

Last edited:

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
In every day driving, I don't do as much highway, so speed is less of a factor than traffic. I use my car for work, so there's only so much tweaking I can do, unless I'm on a road trip.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Wow simply amazing. This has inspired me to hit 700 n later 800. Thanks for posting. Congrats!

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Good luck with those runs guys, and hope you hit your mileage.

Deerslayer, I would say you are looking good for an 800 mile tank. Just remember you have a 20-30 mile loss in calculated range when you get towards the end, but after 40 miles indicated it seems to last longer. Maybe it's a scare tactic to get you to fuel up. Just be aware of it, and don't panic. Stick to your game and hope.

:)