mk6 JSW hood insulation mat solution

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
just bought a 2011 JSW tdi 6 speed, love it. the hood insulation mat was disintegrating and covering the engine in brown powder, so i took it off. anyone have any solutions other than just replacing it? factory item is expensive and appears to suck. i'm not opposed to insulating the hood, just need a better solution.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have used aftermarket heat and sound mats before. they all do a good job as long as its heat rated, basically has a foil faced on one side and an adhesive on the other. Trick is to clean the ever loving heck off any surface you put it on. Cover your engine bay with some plastic and use some dish soap and clean cold water to clean the under side of the hood. Then after it has dried 100% go over it with some micro fiber rags with isopropyl alcohol 70% until your rags dont get dirty any more, let it dry then apply.
remove the clips and install the mat and reinstall them. Or if your hood has no clips in the flat spots just cut some templates out and trace them on to the mat and cut it out to fit. My favorite is to do a mix of the 2. the sound mat in all the low areas and then cover over the high reinforcement areas with the thin stuff. Or mix and match. I prefer to apply mod stickers to my car but only under my hood and it looks really nice and clean.
My favorite is this for heat shield only.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KC2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this for both sound and heat
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-16-36sqft-Insulation-Waterproof-Moistureproof/dp/B01I4F0J76/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3H9TR05B2DA05&keywords=sound+deadening+heat+shield&qid=1564458708&s=automotive&sprefix=sound+deadening+heat%2Cautomotive%2C132&sr=1-5

Last edited:

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
Well that's exactly what I was looking for! Will post some pics when I get it done.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
So I just put the thick stuff across the whole thing, and it totally works, but is not worthy of a picture. Worth noting that I ordered the exact stuff in the link above and it came all folded and smashed and wrinkled, for anyone trying to a more classy looking job.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
good to hear, yea that stuff looks like a mess, you can get a roller to smooth it out, but results are results!