mk6 JSW guy here looking for South Caralina relocation input.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
It may be a breach in forum educate to post this here but I'm hoping for a little positive input on relocating to Lake Kylie, South Carolina schools and life in general.

I'm a car guy like most here.I was born & raised midwest but now (unfortunately) on the west coast. The schools here along with the politics are deathly toxic.

Any input on N & S. Carolina life would be greatly appreciated

data883

TDI
2001 golf,2004 golf
Hi.I live in Greer,SC whichis about 50 miles from Lake Wylie(Im not sure where Lake Kylie is maybe a typo).Property is probably expensive being a lake property(prices are less though than most parts of the country).Taxes are less than most states.Public schools are ok,but lots of private schools to choose.Weather is mild,with a couple of hot humid summer months.You have a big city fairly close in Charlotte NC and several small town within 10-15 miles.Most people are very friendly and it an all around good place to live.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thanks for the response. The well above average school ratings (lots of private schools) was a big factor that drove the search. Between the relatives on N. Carolina coast and a bunch in Ohio, taxes and for sure different attitudes about life in general, we're looking seriously at the 29710 Clover area.

As far as the TDI goes how are your smog laws in S. Carolina?

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
I see it has been a bit since someone answered, I am not native to SC (military in Sumter area) but I have seen more than a few trucks rolling coal, nobody seems to care. As far as vehicle inspection goes, there is none, insurance and proof of ownership and you get plates, insurance is more expensive than St Louis (last base I was at) due to uninsured drivers for that reason, lot of pretty jank cars rolling the roads too. The big city areas may be different but I wouldn't know for those areas.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
family on coastal NC and in Ohio... are you my relative lol.

We were supposed to move to SC but got lazy and stopped in NC> lol.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
family on coastal NC and in Ohio... are you my relative lol.

We were supposed to move to SC but got lazy and stopped in NC> lol.
Ben, my brother from another mother!

Funny, great minds think alike. Akron and Nags Head I suppose. How about Lake Wylie S.C.?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Tiffin/Findlay and Wilmington.

We were trying to move to Charleston/Florence/Orange areas.

RobertT

TDI
00, 01,02 beetles, 02 Jetta...flipped and totaled.04 Passat BHW
SC is lax on smog...smoke it up. No checks. Not great roads. Lift it dont lower it. Charleston area is the fastest growing on the east coast.

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Spent 8 years in SC. Lived in upstate area around Greenville but traveled the entire state. I agree with what has already been said and will add this... The fastest growing areas are mostly northeast and west coast transplants which is changing the culture in SC so things are moving toward the same things people from those areas are moving away from. Small towns are better but you will be seen as an outsider for a while, not unfriendly toward you but don’t expect a lot of trust until you have earned it. Politics there are brutal (because their primary elections actually mean something) if your involved in more than just voting.