MK6 Jetta TDI hard to start one time then fires up next with one key turn all in summer Tenn weather, why?

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hello, I have a 2011 Jetta TDI with 190k miles on it and it is being a pain in the butt , just can't depend on it now. It's rare, but maybe one out of 10 car starts my Jetta will take a dozen or so cranks to start the engine or more sometimes, twice it took over 20 minutes to start then next time she does good with only two to three cranks. Once she starts she runs great, but getting to the point my wife is scared to ride in the Jetta. As stated this is all in Tenn summer warm weather. I sprayed some key dry lube in the key cylinder and the key turns with no problem, it did seem to help a little , but still had one horrible time getting her to start in a busy parking lot with dozens of people watching and wife getting mad. I installed a new Continential EGR Valve air regulator flap and cleaned the EGR valve real good hoping this would help, but still having the same problems of starting. Also changed the fuel filter (no metal flakes in the fuel filter housing) . No engine light on. Thanks for any advice on what to do next.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
yep same issues lately as well. took her to stealership last time, they replaced few fuel parts and she got better and now back at it again.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
A friend of mine who is a diesel expert thinks it maybe a electrical problem in the key cylinder, so may try to replace this.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there (there is more to OBD than just the MIL). When it just cranks, does it crank normally and fast? Does the preglow lamp come on and go off as normal? Can't really help much here since we don't have a scan tool hooked up to your car when it happens.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I ordered a new VW key ignition assembly from FCP euro and watched some utube videos that were a massive help. Spent the weekend removing the old ignition cylinder, put my old key barrel into the new cylinder and after many hours got her done. She fired right up on one crank with four tests tries , so far so good, but will do a bunch more testing to be sure she is fixed.

austinroepke

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
My car does the same thing. Cycling the glow plugs twice (key on until glow plug light goes off, then cycle plugs again and crank when light goes out) seems to have kept it from happening this winter, in addition to a front grill cover.
If it’s just a lock cylinder that’s wrong with my car, I would gladly pay to have it replaced at this point. I’ve been dealing with the same issue description for two years with my car.

I was thinking it was something with the glow plug circuit, the plugs, or just the glow time(or temp?). Was going to swap plugs and hope that fixed it later.
My issue happens at any temp, but the car needs to sit longer in warmer weather for it to happen (8ish hours when above 50, to 2 hours when it’s well below freezing. Which is why I figured maybe glow temp wasn’t quite enough).

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Well the problem is back. I replaced the key ignition assembly and went for several test runs, starting the car several times and it always started right up for a week, really thinking it was fixed. Well yesterday drove a hour out of town to a doctors appointment and when I came back out to the parking lot after about an hour in the office she just would not start. No check engine lights and cranked great. I have a great new battery thank goodness and it finally started after dozens of key turns. Could this be the glow pugs or fuel sender pump?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
its possible glow plug relay issue. other friend of mine with MK6 Jetta has exact same issue, replaced the relay, she fires up quickly.

last weekend, I did a swap of glow plug relay from 2015 Passat to 2013 Jetta TDI, noticed she cranks and fires up normally then swap back to the old one, she does it again randomly. have to keep testing it to see if the pattern is the same then replace it. I'm watching her car for a while.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Yea, watched some utube videos and the glow plug control module was talked about as a possible hard starting cause. Will order one and try this,

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello, I have a 2011 Jetta TDI with 190k miles on it and it is being a pain in the butt , just can't depend on it now. It's rare, but maybe one out of 10 car starts my Jetta will take a dozen or so cranks to start the engine or more sometimes, twice it took over 20 minutes to start then next time she does good with only two to three cranks. Once she starts she runs great, but getting to the point my wife is scared to ride in the Jetta. As stated this is all in Tenn summer warm weather. I sprayed some key dry lube in the key cylinder and the key turns with no problem, it did seem to help a little , but still had one horrible time getting her to start in a busy parking lot with dozens of people watching and wife getting mad. I installed a new Continential EGR Valve air regulator flap and cleaned the EGR valve real good hoping this would help, but still having the same problems of starting. Also changed the fuel filter (no metal flakes in the fuel filter housing) . No engine light on. Thanks for any advice on what to do next.
Voa has no clue. It's an issue with the ECU not injecting fuel. It's something with the retune. They haven't figured it out, nor will they invest more time to do so. It throws no code, so they can care less.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Ordered a new glow plug module and replaced the glow plugs. Where is the glow plug module located? Just can't find it to change out, watched many you tube videos and can't find a 2011 Jetta showing it's location. only thing i can think of is i was sent the wrong module relay and does not look like anything in my Jetta.

The youtube video I watched showed it located under the relay fuse box next to the battery under the hood of a 2014 TDI Jetta ,but my 2011 Jetta is different there is no relay under my fuse box.

I was looking in my fuse relay box next to my battery under the hood, there is a relay that i pulled out that has similar looking pins as the relay I got in the mail and has a 508 printed on top, could this be it? It sure does not match the relay i got from the parts dealer.

Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Ordered a new glow plug module and replaced the glow plugs. Where is the glow plug module located? Just can't find it to change out, watched many you tube videos and can't find a 2011 Jetta showing it's location. only thing i can think of is i was sent the wrong module relay and does not look like anything in my Jetta.

The youtube video I watched showed it located under the relay fuse box next to the battery under the hood of a 2014 TDI Jetta ,but my 2011 Jetta is different there is no relay under my fuse box.

I was looking in my fuse relay box next to my battery under the hood, there is a relay that i pulled out that has similar looking pins as the relay I got in the mail and has a 508 printed on top, could this be it? It sure does not match the relay i got from the parts dealer.
Change your Crank Sensor OEM only

Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
What makes you think it's the crank sensor?
They are known to give lots of problems & don't always set a code, plus sound like that's how a bad one reacts sometimes it starts right up & other times cranks for a bit to start or doesn't start at all

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Voa has no clue. It's an issue with the ECU not injecting fuel. It's something with the retune. They haven't figured it out, nor will they invest more time to do so. It throws no code, so they can care less.
I am having this exact issue with my car. Definatly no fuel being injected by the ECU when this no start condition occurs. No codes or any other indications of faults. Are you saying this is a known issue after the emissions software "fix"?

When this no start condition happens on my car the glow plug light will not cycle on, or if the glow plugs do cycle, they only come on very briefly then go off. If I turn on the ignition and the glow plugs run a normal cycle, the car will start without fail. This issue only started happening a few months ago. My car did have the emissions recall software flash and has a Malone Stage 2 tune if that makes any difference.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I am having this exact issue with my car. Definatly no fuel being injected by the ECU when this no start condition occurs. No codes or any other indications of faults. Are you saying this is a known issue after the emissions software "fix"?

When this no start condition happens on my car the glow plug light will not cycle on, or if the glow plugs do cycle, they only come on very briefly then go off. If I turn on the ignition and the glow plugs run a normal cycle, the car will start without fail. This issue only started happening a few months ago. My car did have the emissions recall software flash and has a Malone Stage 2 tune if that makes any difference.
Yes. I have talked to a few techs. They've got no idea why nor do the programmers at voa. It's been looked into heavily. They can't figure out why the ECU does it. Something with sensors or the ECU lagging. It's known, but doesn't cause issues. It's just annoying. Just turn off and on again. The tuners have even looked into it.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Hello, I have a 2011 Jetta TDI with 190k miles on it and it is being a pain in the butt , just can't depend on it now. It's rare, but maybe one out of 10 car starts my Jetta will take a dozen or so cranks to start the engine or more sometimes, twice it took over 20 minutes to start then next time she does good with only two to three cranks.
I'm wondering, does it fire, then stop? I've been having an occasional problem where I crank it, and it seems to fire just for a moment, kind of cough and rattle (clutch noises?) and stops. I have to switch off the ignition and try again. Wondering if your problem is like that. Reading farther down it sounds like not. I had wondered if it might be an intermittant in whatever senses that the engine has fired up, vs still being cranked by the starter.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
My car will crank when it's cold , fire right up and run great when it does start up, but about one out of ten times it will crank and not start, sometimes taking 10 to 20 key turns to fire up. It seems to happen more often when the car is warm, for example if I drive to a store and come back out to the parking lot to start the car up after an hour.

I ordered a new glow plug relay 508, but was shipped a 530 relay, is this a replacement upgrade relay?

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My car will crank when it's cold , fire right up and run great when it does start up, but about one out of ten times it will crank and not start, sometimes taking 10 to 20 key turns to fire up. It seems to happen more often when the car is warm, for example if I drive to a store and come back out to the parking lot to start the car up after an hour.

I ordered a new glow plug relay 508, but was shipped a 530 relay, is this a replacement upgrade relay?

Not sure on the upgrade relay. Who did you buy it from?
Why did you order a glow plug relay for your car?
You live in Tennessee, correct? Seems like the temperatures by you shouldn’t need the glow plugs to start the car if it’s that warm

Last edited:

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
What exactly does it do/sound like when it doesn't fire up?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Check to see if your car has the BEM, Battery Electrical Maintenance system, then it requires recoding, as you did install a new battery correct. If it requires the the recoding and was not done the computer will do strange things as I understand.

For a car that will not restart after installing a new battery they say to remove both battery cable and touch them together for 15 minutes which in the case of not starting will correct that problem.
But first please check, research. into the the two things I have indicated above.

I have a 2015 TDI and installed a new battery, second one and I am get all kinds of codes.
My charging system is not putting out the volts it should be. The BEM controls the alternator through the ECM computer.
A lot of cars, makes have the BEM.
I can not seem to find out if my car even has the BEM in it and needs recoding.
Most definitely the last piece of crap vw I ever buy
VW batteries have a BEM code on them as well as other battery brands.
I hope this maybe helps you.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
When the car won't start turning the key the sound it makes is the starter turning the engine over with great cranking power, it just won't start up. It just won't start at first sometimes taking dozens of key turns.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm pretty sure I don't have a BEM on my 2011 TDI Jetta.

Also the parts dealer checked and the 530 glow plug relay is a new updated relay replacing the 508 relay for the glow plugs.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Yes. I have talked to a few techs. They've got no idea why nor do the programmers at voa. It's been looked into heavily. They can't figure out why the ECU does it. Something with sensors or the ECU lagging. It's known, but doesn't cause issues. It's just annoying. Just turn off and on again. The tuners have even looked into it.
Thank you for this information. It definitely seems like the ECU is not booting up correctly when this happens. I have been watching the glow plug indicator more closely and if I get a normal glow plug cycle indication, the car starts every time. If I get a short glow plug cycle, or no glow plug indication, the car will not start no matter how long, or how many times I crank it. If the No start condition occurs, I have to turn the ignition off then back on to reset the ECU.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
When the car won't start turning the key the sound it makes is the starter turning the engine over with great cranking power, it just won't start up. It just won't start at first sometimes taking dozens of key turns.
When the no start condition occurs, are you cycling the ignition off and back on each time before trying to crank the engine, or are you just cranking it over again without turning the ignition off?

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Ah... so no firing all. So your problem is different from mine.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
When the no start condition occurs, are you cycling the ignition off and back on each time before trying to crank the engine, or are you just cranking it over again without turning the ignition off?
Interesting question... and maybe a auto/manual transmission difference? In my 2010 Jetta 6spd, it will only crank when you have the clutch fully depressed (a safety feature) but also I have to completly turn off ignition and on again, or the starter wont work. (maybe not so safety feature, if you stalled, and are rolling, and have to momentarily lock the steering column!)

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Interesting question... and maybe a auto/manual transmission difference? In my 2010 Jetta 6spd, it will only crank when you have the clutch fully depressed (a safety feature) but also I have to completly turn off ignition and on again, or the starter wont work. (maybe not so safety feature, if you stalled, and are rolling, and have to momentarily lock the steering column!)
Yep my car works exactly the same way. Crazy they make you lock the steering column temporarily before you can restart the car if you accidentally stall it while driving. Having said that, when I have the No start condition with my car, it will allow you to engage the starter multiple times without cycling the ignition off Like it normally would work. If my car doesn’t start, it has never fired if I tried to crank it again without first cycling the ignition of.