MK6 Jetta TDI hard to start one time then fires up next with one key turn all in summer Tenn weather, why?

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Replaced my glow plug relay with a new 530 relay and still have the starting problem when the engine is warm mostly. Noticed if the glow plug on the dash lights up it will start, but if no light no start.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
its possible glow plug relay issue. other friend of mine with MK6 Jetta has exact same issue, replaced the relay, she fires up quickly.

last weekend, I did a swap of glow plug relay from 2015 Passat to 2013 Jetta TDI, noticed she cranks and fires up normally then swap back to the old one, she does it again randomly. have to keep testing it to see if the pattern is the same then replace it. I'm watching her car for a while.
Where's the location for relay? I may have this same issue.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Under the hood, the fuse box on drivers side. Installed a new 530 relay, but still have starting problems.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Had a car scan done on my TDI.

This code come up 01314 Engine Control Module No Signal/No Communication-Intermittent

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Not really seeing a bad wire or ground, but still possible just don't see it, so am thinking my ECM is going bad. Is this common? Should I have it checked and rebuilt? If so anybody had this done and can recommended a good internet company that does this.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Good news! Took my TDI Jetta to a independent diesel repair shop and the guy checked all he could and was pretty sure it was
the ECM so I sent it off to a ECM repair place called ModuleExperts in jacksonville, Fl. It took them several weeks because my old ECM was for some reason pretty fried, but Chris at ModuleExperts explained they needed to build me a new one because the old one was shot and VW makes it as hard as possible for them.. They did a great job and now my Jetta starts the first crank every time now. Highly recommend them.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Good news! Took my TDI Jetta to a independent diesel repair shop and the guy checked all he could and was pretty sure it was
the ECM so I sent it off to a ECM repair place called ModuleExperts in jacksonville, Fl. It took them several weeks because my old ECM was for some reason pretty fried, but Chris at ModuleExperts explained they needed to build me a new one because the old one was shot and VW makes it as hard as possible for them.. They did a great job and now my Jetta starts the first crank every time now. Highly recommend them.
Glad you got your TDI sorted out

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Sounds like a very fishy fix...built a new ecm?? Hogwash!

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Sounds fishy?..... Whats hard to understand?.... I mailed my bad ECM to ModuleExperts ,they called me back a week or so later, explained the ECM i sent them was fried to bad to fix. They explained that they will take information off of it and built my Jetta a new ECM. I got the new ECM plugged in and weeks later my Jetta is still working great. Whats the hogwash? Could you please explain your very confusing and odd reply.

Last edited: