MK6 Jetta CJAA Turbo Failure Guide For Dummies

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
(Forum/TDI veterans: Entire synopsis of this whole post is expressed in the last 14 words of boldface print at the bottom. ;))

Hopefully my self-mortifying tale here may be of benefit to someone...because in it I was the dummy mentioned in the title, and this advice may save you much grief. :eek:

First, to the new-to-the-turbo/diesel/VW/TDI scene, allow me to espouse the conventional wisdoms of operating a turbo-charged DPF-laden diesel
car meant to ensure the health and longevity of the turbo unit.

When starting a "cold" motor, do not idle without load (driving) for more than a couple minutes. For the first few minutes before the engine comes up to temperature, don't "push it" too hard. (I gradually increase throttle pressure as the temp rises)

When driving with a fully warmed motor, it is a healthy practice to occassionally or routinely give the car strong accellation pulls when/where appropriate, to exercise the turbocharger fully.

When parking the car, idle the car a minute or two as needed to allow the turbocharger to cool down somewhat and allow oil to clear the passages and avoid coking.

Change the oil on schedule! Make sure it stays full!

I myself am very adherent to these practices, but even so, my turbo gave up at 256,624 miles. Now while I'm disappointed, everyone has said that is really good life for the turbo.

I knew what to expect in the event of failure, but had never been through it before, so I'll relay my experience for those in that scenario still.

Now I have driven a car with a dead turbo before, one which by design wasn't as delicate as these VW diesels are. I am no longer in need of any stern lectures of how serious turbo failure is with these cars, thanks, but I'm writing instead to convey that same message to others with the story of my near-engine-death experience! (Again, I'm sooooooorrry!)

So 100 something miles into the night, some 40 or so miles into a new tank of fuel everything is hunky-dorey. I'm waiting at a light jamming some tunes. The light turns, I do a typical pull-away and I hear an odd noise. Stereo off it quickly dawns that it is a turbine whine from MY car...and it sounds painful. I lost nearly all boost, and absolutely babied the thing home 6 miles.

So what I'm telling you is at this point I should have had the car towed to the shop. But I thought I would baby it at 4 in the morning the 14 miles to the shop. About one third of the way there, the horrid whining stopped. From there the power waned further, and by the last mile she was boggin' bad. It was not worth the stress in hindsight. The oil was puking into the intercooler and might have caused a runaway condition. The internal shaft had broke in two. (Probably when it got quiet :rolleyes:)

But luckily all seems well. The DPF life may have shortened, not sure yet as I haven't gotten an ash load number since. This event was ~5000 miles ago.

The turbo is an expensive job, even at the guru it ran me $2500 and change, including extra labor to clean out the intercooler. 8-9 hours labor.

So that's it. A lesson for us all. :eek:

Again, in summary,

When your turbocharger breaks, you could drive it to the shop like I did. Don't.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Excellent post, 'speed.

Regret your situation (but thank you for publishing).

ez

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
That's a shame to hear.

Think the labour was a bit much though!
Good life for a turbo - I follow the same practises and haven't ever destroyed a turbo despite all my cars being mapped and high mileage! lol

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
Wow, that was painful to read. Just yesterday I was wondering where you were.

Im glad you are up and going again.

Did you replace with a factory turbo or do any upgrade?

beam_panhard_tdi_2013

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6MT Premium
I feel you pain. After all you followed all the good guidelines and it still happens. I know my turbo could give up one day too and could be any time. That's why I no longer look at my Torque App or rev up when warm or during regen. I baby (just drive) it only to save fuel (not to "make" the engine "live longer" as it won't). But hopefully its break-down is not when I merge right before an 18-wheeler.......:(

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Excellent post, 'speed.

Regret your situation (but thank you for publishing).

ez
Thanks and you're welcome...:eek:

That's a shame to hear.

Think the labour was a bit much though!
Good life for a turbo - I follow the same practises and haven't ever destroyed a turbo despite all my cars being mapped and high mileage! lol
Well it's at the back of the motor, subframe and exhaust had to come out...

Do you guys get better Borg-Warners than we do? My understanding is if they just put some bloody Garretts in these cars we wouldn't be changing turbos like timing belts...:eek: But no, VW saves $20 a unit on the weak part which costs us a couple grand! :mad:

What do you consider "high mileage"? ;)

Wow, that was painful to read. Just yesterday I was wondering where you were.

Im glad you are up and going again.

Did you replace with a factory turbo or do any upgrade?
No, nothing exciting, another piece of factory junk presumably...:rolleyes: Hopefully I will beat the 256,624 mile record the old one managed. :D

The only other powertrain component to fail so far really has been the intake manifold flap, which I haven't replaced, I just zip-tie the armature every 30k or so. :cool:

I'm guessing she will need a car payment's worth of upkeep from here on.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Well it's at the back of the motor, subframe and exhaust had to come out...

Do you guys get better Borg-Warners than we do? My understanding is if they just put some bloody Garretts in these cars we wouldn't be changing turbos like timing belts...:eek: But no, VW saves $20 a unit on the weak part which costs us a couple grand! :mad:

What do you consider "high mileage"? ;)
I'm aware of that, still doesn't need 9 hours lol. It's a 3 hour job to remove and re-fit a turbo :)

Depends on the car, some were Garrets, some were KKK and Borgwarner. My old 1.9 had a Borgwarner from Factory, which was fine when I removed it at 150k, minimal shaft play and no noise, oil leaks etc.
Scirocco had a KKK (Cr170 turbo) which again was mint when that came off at around 132k.

It's like anything, some turbo manufactures are "better" but generally most have a service life and 250k is more than acceptable for a turbo IMO. Consider the conditions it's used in and the temperatures etc.

cookiemonsta212

TDI
2014 Jetta 2.0L CJAA TDI 6SPD
My turbo started to fail, was doing a lot of work to the car (usless stuff I didn't need to do but felt like doing) but I took off the intake tube and realised that the walls of my turbo were scraped to crap and my turbine wiggled from side to side, touching the turbo walls and my car only had 180k km on it which is only about 110k miles lol, bought the car at 160k km (~100k miles) from a dealer who bought it at auction so I have no idea what the previous history of the car was and went into this just loving the torque and the amazing mileage, but with that being said I ended up buying a cr170 turbo since I had a dpf delete already and the upgraded turbo was about the same price and all I needed was a retune. Everything cost me 1600$CAD ~1300usd and I did the install myself over the course of 5 days doing it just a couple hours a day, removal took double the time that reinstallation did since I had no idea what I was doing when removing it and made a bunch of stupid mistakes breaking things in the process. Overall I would say if your turbo breaks, I would just go upgraded turbo, won't reduce the lifespan of the engine, makes more power/torque and with some kits you can also keep your dpf I'm pretty sure.