MK6 Golf Under-hood Insulation Question

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Does anyone have a solution for sagging under-hood insulation? I've been tempted to coat the tabs with fiberglass resin to make them more rigid, as they keep falling out of the slots. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Right, without otherwise modifying the "flap" (hood/bonnet). Thinking about this, too. --g

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
the junk that they install..... just rip it out and install an aftermaket dynomat like material with an adhesive side. Just prep the side before sticking it on. must be spotless. Best mod i ever did. looks great and cuts down on sound even better!

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably go the dynomat route. Just trying to limp this insulation along for a couple more weeks. Mostly interested in keeping it for heat retention in the winter. Cheers

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
dynomat is 10x coslty for what it is. there are dozens of good cheaper stuff. foil faced neoprene is great in 1/2 inch

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
the junk that they install..... just rip it out and install an aftermaket dynomat like material with an adhesive side. Just prep the side before sticking it on. must be spotless. Best mod i ever did. looks great and cuts down on sound even better!
do you have pictures of your set up?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
That is a good solution!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
ahh good! my old one didnt, sagged to the unsafe position. tossed it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no pics sorry. i did it to my dads subaru. my old mk3 just had sticker bombed hood bling!

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
VW made a revised insulation pad P/N 5K0863831G. Picked one up last year and the tabs actually stay in the hood slots lol.
That looks pretty nice. Almost tempting to have OEM fit and finish. Car is going into storage for three months soon, so I might save for it and do it later.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have the new version. It is much better, but the same 3 tabs near the windshield still popped loose after a couple of years. The good news, the new version is more rigid and stays closer to the top of the hood even with the tabs popped out. It also isn't falling apart like the original did.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I bought the newer version with the aluminum heat shield over the top of the engine. What I did was cut very small slits in the center or all the tabs and then ran a zip tie through it and looped that around each of the hood cut outs. You'll see that you can slip the zip tie end under the thin sheet of metal. I did this about 5 years ago and it has yet to sag. Highly recommend.

JQ

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Thank you BarnyardsTDI! You're right! That looks like it is a great solution! Zip ties do slide in between the layers of sheet metal at the area where the tabs fit under the hood. I'm thinking it might take 2 slits in the tabs, but I'm still thinking through what you said.

Any chance you'd share a picture?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I bought the newer version with the aluminum heat shield over the top of the engine. What I did was cut very small slits in the center or all the tabs and then ran a zip tie through it and looped that around each of the hood cut outs. You'll see that you can slip the zip tie end under the thin sheet of metal. I did this about 5 years ago and it has yet to sag. Highly recommend.

JQ

My solution was similar to this but I drilled a small hole in the sheet metal and used a hole punch on the liner then ran the ziptie through both.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I took a second look. Since it's at the edge, I think one slit/hole would work if I run the zip tie around the outside of the heat shield on the other portion of the loop.

I'd still love to see pictures of the solutions from others!

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
As requested.

Th car has just over 227,000 miles on it. I bought it with 50 miles in June 2010. If anyone knows the part number for the little washers and screws that hold on the firewall insulation I'd appreciate it. I had one come off at some point.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thank you for the suggestion and thank you for the pictures! I just did mine too! I used a 2-hole method. It worked great! I did lose a clip in the process of removing the insulation even with a towel over the engine area, but fortunately the clip made it all the way down to the lower plastic engine cover and I can let it be until the lower engine cover is off someday. For now I think I'll just get a new set of clips at the dealer.
Thanks again!

on Flickr

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the suggestion and thank you for the pictures! I just did mine too! I used a 2-hole method. It worked great! I did lose a clip in the process of removing the insulation even with a towel over the engine area, but fortunately the clip made it all the way down to the lower plastic engine cover and I can let it be until the lower engine cover is off someday. For now I think I'll just get a new set of clips at the dealer.
Thanks again!
Did this require drilling? I haven't been out to look at mine. Seems the most secure.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Did this require drilling? I haven't been out to look at mine. Seems the most secure.
No drilling of the hood is required. As BarnyardsTDI indicated, you can slip the zip tie under the gap in the sheet metal. You'll see it right away when you look under the hood. For the three tabs I wanted to fix, I positioned my 2 holes in the insulation to match the two sides of the sheet metal where each tie is looped to the hood.

I did use a drill to make the small holes in the insulation, but you don't have to drill the hood. At least that's true for the 3 tabs I wanted to fix. To me the sheet metal of the hood looked a bit different at the front of the car, but I didn't have any sagging at the front. I like the new insulation much better, but this same fix might have also solved the issue with the old insulation.

Edit: I just saw a closeup of the photo from BranyardsTDI and he has ties on almost every tab, even at the front. So it looks like it could also work the same at the front.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I did use a drill to make the small holes in the insulation, but you don't have to drill the hood. At least that's true for the 3 tabs I wanted to fix. The sheet metal of the hood is a bit different at the front of the car, but I didn't have any sagging at the front. For me the same was true for the old much less rigid insulation that I removed. I like the new insulation much better, but this same fix might have also solved the issue with the old insulation.
Excellent - that is what I am going to try... the old insulation. Mine seems to remain against the hood well enough (I have a string tied across now), but those tabs along the windshield end of the hood never stay put. Thanks!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
slip in some fabric softener sheets before you tighten the zip ties. Hopefully will keep the mice at bay for a while at least. :)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The dealer had a clip! It's funny how everything looks nicer in the engine area now that my insulation doesn't sag!
I just passed 190K miles and 401 fuel-ups since April 2010. My car had 7-miles on the odometer when I took ownership. The last fuel-up was the most expensive diesel yet, at $5.559 per gallon, but I still love driving my car!

Edit: I paid even more in a previous fuel-up on the PA TPK, it was $5.898 per gallon!!!

on Flickr

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I just passed 190K miles and 401 fuel-ups since April 2010.
Nice. I love a good data log summary :)

300k miles logged on mine over ~410 fuel ups since Feb 2006 (didn't log many miles in 2020, 2021). Interesting the miles/tank average. 730mi/tank vs 470mi/tank. I admittedly go well past the low fuel light EVERY tank .

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
OK, I get what the rear zip ties attach to now (here the aft right tab hole with hood open and original insulation pulled away):
Looks like a new weekend project to tidy up this old hood insulation --g

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
That's it! Great picture of a naked underhood! Nice red paint too!!! I apologize for not showing it on my car when I had my insulation off.

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thank you for all the responses, everyone. I definitely will be considering all of these inputs when I go to replace my hood insulation. Cheers

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
when i got my JSW, the factory mat was disintegrating and covering the engine in brown powder, so i don't think fixing your factory mat is worth it. here's the stuff i was suggested to buy, i stuck it on the hood 3-ish years ago, and so far so good. good soundproofing too..