mk6 golf tdi

A.s.P

TDI
Cjaa mk6 golf
im working on building a nice daily to track for fun i plan on trying to push at most 300 but probobly only 260 since hp dont matter as much as tq does with are engines and i plan on lowering her a bit clean her up im still learning so dont bully me

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Welcome, happy to see another VW having fun.
HP = torque x RPMS
please understand that what you said is not accurate and a poor way to think of it. TDI's feel "torquey" because the power comes up much lower in RPM's it's completely false way of thinking.
What kind of track? Autocross? Cross track? Circuit racing? what class? so on and so forth....
Or is this a "ill race it once in a blue moon but i want the option" kind of car.
IMO if your going to do what i think you mean to do, stay in your class and put better tires and brake pads on and forget about $$$ into power. Get your driving skills to the limit of what you have, spend the $ on gear, and rubber to the road and events. once your limit is the car (about 2 seasons of 20 events a year) start pumping more power into it as needed. you will spend about 5x the cars worth in learning how to "track".

efeballi

TDI
2004 Seat Altea 2.0 TDI (BKD)
+1 above. if you really want to throw the car around on a racetrack, i believe you should upgrade your tires, brakes and suspension, in that order. depending on what track you regularly go out on, you'll then have a better idea as to what components to upgrade.
tracking a car is expensive, both in terms of entry and travel costs and also running costs of the car, the car will munch through its tires, brake pads, rotors and clutch and the oil will turn into sludge much faster than on the road.
gear, such as a helmet, a pair of gloves, measurement stuff (such as a box with high quality GPS and accelerometers) will help you improve your driving style and are transferable to any car.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
tires are 90% of the equation and 90% of the time you spend fiddling with the car at the track betweens laps is with the tires and pressure. spend your time and effort here. $2000 a season is a good base budget but you can get that down to $1500 if you mount and balance them yourself and have a 2nd set of wheels with daily tires on them.RE71's are thee king of budget/traction.
Unless the track requires more than a helmet for gear, you should be fine with this both in gear and the track event. Autocross and track cross are about the 2 only popular and common events that stick to this. Others require roll cages, fuel cells, and so on. so stay away from that unless your building a track car.

Look, if you want to find out, (right now pandemic means no) you could hitchhike at autocross. aka show up with a helmet and ride shotgun with everyone and make friends. you will find that unles syour running a tuned out miata or Boxster or corvette, nothing makes a big difference other than the driver.

I spend about 5 grand a year just in tires and event fees, i did 28 events in 2019 and that was basically every saturday and most most sundays. The $$$ you spend at track events the more laps you get. $350 gets you about 20 laps each lasting about 2 minutes, $35 bucks gets you about 8 each lasting 45 seconds.

IMO if you seriously want to get into track, go buy a cheap boxster and go have fun with tires and event fees and forget everything else. Cameras and GPS track gear costs $$$$$$ to do well and ultimately is useless until your a few years in and you want to analyse your skills. otherwise its distracting and some places its down right banned from use internally as use of recording time. (stupid yes i know)

Do you want to wrench or drive?