Mk6 Golf TDI (US market) DRLs

tzulu1987

TDI
2012 VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Does anyone here have a solid guide for using VCDS to code-out the DRL/“city lights” on a Mk6 Golf using RossTech VCDS?

I recently installed a European headlight switch and ran a trigger wire (pin 3 at the HL switch harness, pin 19 on CECM harness) and went through the long coding helper on VCDS to try to actively disable the “city lights” / DRLs. I’m not a fan of them sharing and illuminating the high-beam halogen assembly, as I constantly get other drivers mistakenly assuming my DRLs are my high beams on dark roads. I’m tired of getting retaliatory high-beams 😅

I am fairly new to TDI Club, and if I am asking something that’s been answered long ago then please feel free to drag me a bit once ya share the link to another thread. If anyone has any solid guidance on the long coding helper for a North American market (US) Golf Mk6 on how to kill the DRLs via VCDS I’d owe you a beer sometime, somewhere

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
The City/Parking light is not the DRL. The City/Parking lamp is a small 5W halogen bulb (item 11):

The DRL is the low wattage filament in the the dual filament high beam bulb (14). Seems like Byte 24 of the CECM/BCM should help you here. --g

tzulu1987

TDI
2012 VW Mk6 Golf TDI
The City/Parking light is not the DRL. The City/Parking lamp is a small 5W halogen bulb (item 11):

The DRL is the low wattage filament in the the dual filament high beam bulb (14). Seems like Byte 24 of the CECM/BCM should help you here. --g
At least in my Golf the DRLs do run off of the little 5w bulb that pokes in through the side of the high beam halogen housing. When I’ve had the stock US market headlight switch and the lights programmed as I bought the car that little light was what illuminated as my DRLs, at least. At least I believe so

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
In our Mk6 Golf Variant (JSW) with low-line BCM and Euro light switch (with existing wiring for parking/city lights position to the BCM) and standard BCM coding, we see only the DRL at full brightness with the ignition on and switch off (position 0).

At parking light position (position 1), DRLs are off and the parking/city lights are on (both in the bumper and in the high beam/DRL reflector. In dipped beam position (position 2), outer low beams are on, DRLs are off, and the parking/city lamps are on. With high beam engaged, all front lamps are on (except, I assume, the DRL filament).

I agree that the halogen DRL can be quite bright if the head lamp is not adjusted to the correct height. Hence, reducing the DRL brightness/output using Byte 24 of the BCM long coding seems reasonable. --g

tzulu1987

TDI
2012 VW Mk6 Golf TDI
In our Mk6 Golf Variant (JSW) with low-line BCM and Euro light switch (with existing wiring for parking/city lights position to the BCM) and standard BCM coding, we see only the DRL at full brightness with the ignition on and switch off (position 0).

At parking light position (position 1), DRLs are off and the parking/city lights are on (both in the bumper and in the high beam/DRL reflector. In dipped beam position (position 2), outer low beams are on, DRLs are off, and the parking/city lamps are on. With high beam engaged, all front lamps are on (except, I assume, the DRL filament).

I agree that the halogen DRL can be quite bright if the head lamp is not adjusted to the correct height. Hence, reducing the DRL brightness/output using Byte 24 of the BCM long coding seems reasonable. --g
I have reduced the setting in Byte 24 all the way down to zero, I just still can’t find a way for those lights to be all the way off when the car is in gear and either marker lights or all lights are on (I suspect yours may still be on also). I confirmed this with the aid of a friend and him taking a picture of the bulb

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
@tzulu1987 : I'm wondering now if this is due to the low-line BCM (J519 PN ending in 084). For example, Byte 27 bit 2 (LED-DRL Module for Parking/Position Light & DRL) when set to 1 is supposed to let us run LEDs in the Parking/Position lights. On our low-line BCM, this does not work (the LEDs work fine, but DTCs & bulb MIL are thrown).

I have a mid-line BCM from a '11 Tiguan (PN ending in 086) that I plan to use to implement BCM-controlled front fog lamps (when outside temps are above 50F or so in the spring). I'll test these long code changes with the mid-line (assuming the BCM behaves properly controlling the fog lamps) and report back.

Anyone else here have mid- or high-line BCMs (PNs -086 and -087) who can comment on these coding issues ? --g