MK6 Golf TDI 6MT - P2002 Error - dealer blaming "modified BCM"

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Yes, you read that right, BCM modified is why they stopped trouble shooting. I got the text message about the service, saw "Modified" and had a little freak out, called, explained I definitely hadn't tuned my car. ALSO asked, how, exactly, did they replace my DPF twice and thermostat with a flagged computer. The service adviser, also confused, told me he was going to push through to have work done under warranty and if they say no, there was no charge. Now.....

Only after looking at the text message and initial diagnosis did I realize it said BCM, not ECM which I'm honestly flabbergasted at how in the world they are trying to say they can't trouble shoot because of a change to the BCM. BCM changes like automatic locking, windows up/down from key fob, hill hold reduction. I don't think my service adviser actually realized that was what the Techs were trying to say, I missed it too BUT I'll be calling first thing in the morning because that makes no sense at all.

If they deny it, I think I have the first scan I ever ran on the car 3yr ago so I could probably put ALL the things back to fresh off the lot settings for the next time it throws the code. I still have 10k of my warrant and i'm sure, very sure, it'll do it again. Not sure why they can't get this thing sorted but until that warranty is up, they're gonna keep wrenching on it a giving me a loaner while they do it.

OH! Anyway, reason I'm posting is to see if any of you have EVER heard of something like this? I'm not new to TDI's but this is wild. o_O

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just stay with it and remain calm for now. It may still work out in your favor. Usually with a little push back when they balk, it gets done assuming you meet all other criteria. Read and know the warranty if you plan to use it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Why don't you look up the basic format of a DTC code and direct the dealer\techs to do the same.
The very first character "P" identifies it as a POWERTRAIN code...... nothing to do with BCM.
You just need to be able to "dumb it down" enough so that they can understand.... maybe try a different dealer if this one is that incompetent.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So, you are asking, if dealers have tried to weasel out of warrantable repairs by inventing whatever they can ? Is the Pope Catholic?
Ha ha, I guess it was kind of silly to ask but in my defense, they have, in the past been good to me and I really just wanted to see if you guys had ever heard of such a response.

Just stay with it and remain calm for now. It may still work out in your favor. Usually with a little push back when they balk, it gets done assuming you meet all other criteria. Read and know the warranty if you plan to use it.
I'm staying calm for now (the freak out was in my head, at home), for sure. The service advisor is not the bad guy, I know him, he's seen a lot of me and I know the warranty well.

Why don't you look up the basic format of a DTC code and direct the dealer\techs to do the same.
The very first character "P" identifies it as a POWERTRAIN code...... nothing to do with BCM.
You just need to be able to "dumb it down" enough so that they can understand.... maybe try a different dealer if this one is that incompetent.
Here are the actual notes from the tech:

[Primary]: CEL : CEL CUSTOMER STATES:CEL ON , P2002, SEE HISTORY ADVISE TDI EXT IS ACTVIE

Body Control Module / ECU: Modified ECU possibly causing faults with emission sensors. New ECU recommended to continue diagnosis and perform diesel particulate filter regeneration. Per VTA**P2002 PDF efficiency fault unable to be diagnosed due to ECU modification locking software from reading values.**

Obviously a powertrain code and emissions issue but can't diagnose because of the BCM having read values is ludicrous and the fact that I've had 2 DPF in under a year is as well but warranty is warranty and I intend to use all of it until it's gone. :cool:

Will keep you fellas posted, thanks for the feedback!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you have had TWO DPFs in a year, and yet another DPF-related DTC, you have some other issue going on, and it isn't related to the BCM. That's nuts.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I feel like the OP's leaving out some important details.....
Is this vehicle tuned or anything? Are you the original owner? Has it been flashed and unflashed back to stock with a TuneZilla or similar?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have had TWO DPFs in a year, and yet another DPF-related DTC, you have some other issue going on, and it isn't related to the BCM. That's nuts.
It is but until they actually fix it, warranty is up OR I actually get tired of dealing with it and hit a pothole and lose some parts, I'm gonna keep after it.

I feel like the OP's leaving out some important details.....
Is this vehicle tuned or anything? Are you the original owner? Has it been flashed and unflashed back to stock with a TuneZilla or similar?
Here's the more detailed story, the OP was kept shorter but covered the bases.

I bought it used 3yr ago with 164,551 miles in the clock, it was fully "fixed" at 163,181 miles per emissions check page. Could it have been tuned in those 1300 miles, yes, but I doubt it. Carfax confirmed the info I got from the dealer I bought from and he bought it at auction in Florida, drove back to Indiana. I had it gone through at VW dealership there before I bought it since I had to fly out and drive back.

I have dealt with the dealer here on warranty issues. I've never tuned it, I have done the normal "BCM" mods like the windows, auto locks etc... Like I said initially, I asked the adviser how they could have ever, done any, at all, emissions work on this car if the ECM was flagged. Maybe something has changed but I recall any emissions work approval STARTS with the ECM flash count verification and all that is stored in VW's system. If they had of told me it was flagged, I would have walked away and happily hit some holes but that's not the case and I don't think the ECM is flagged, I think the tech is an idiot.

Waiting for a call back now, more to come...

*Got my call back, service rep is trying to push through warranty, we'll post when there is resolution but for now, gonna keep driving this new Taos they gave me as loaner. :)

Thanks Guys

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So I never updated, again BUT they reset the ECM, cleared codes, did test procedures and gave car back. Then, approx. 600 miles later, P2002 code came back, took back to them, they diagnosed stuck injector #3, replaced it. Then... about 400 miles later, P2002 came back, I'll be taking in next week. :rolleyes:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick update! Took back, they held car for extra time to give a regional QA Rep time to come inspect the car since they've had it SO MANY times trying to resolve this same code. Lots of parts changed, still issue comes back. This time, they are doing Intake Manifold, ANOTHER DPF (yes, this is the 3rd one since I've had car and 4th total as it was fixed 1k miles before I bought), EGR filter and my Service Rep mentioned that they may replace the ECM (they originally ordered for my car but instead of replacing, they reset my ECM to factory).

They wanted me to approve replacing of air filter but I already had cabin/air/oil/fuel filters, oil for change and timing belt to do after I get my car back so I told them I wasn't paying them labor to put in a new air filter so I took them the filter and they are putting in at no charge. I still don't understand how VWoA came up with a 60k change interval on the ail filters. Mine is FILTHY and sooty after 30k so I was changing regardless. I can't imaging how it would have looked after 60k miles. :oops:

All I know is that I have 10k more miles on the warranty and I'll keep taking back until every mile of it is used. My warranty is good until 11/1/23 OR 217,181 miles and I'm currently at 207,290. Add in that I realized/read the warranty again and the whole damn long block is covered, there is no way I'm voiding my warranty.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Something is wrong if your air filter element is "filthy and sooty" at 50% of the interval. You have an exhaust leak back there somewhere sounds like, and the warm air inlet is stuck on and pulling a bunch of untreated exhaust into the air cleaner.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Something is wrong if your air filter element is "filthy and sooty" at 50% of the interval. You have an exhaust leak back there somewhere sounds like, and the warm air inlet is stuck on and pulling a bunch of untreated exhaust into the air cleaner.
Yeah, I think they are actually (well, maybe) going to figure out and fix what it is this time. I'm sure the QA guy isn't happy they keep having to fix and see it but who knows. They still have the car and I'm still driving the nice, though not close to being as efficient in the mpg department, Tiguan 2wk later. I'll post up when I get it back but sure hope it's fixed this time.

Thanks!