Mk5 GTD Swap **IN THE WORKS**

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Ok so I figured I'd go ahead and start this. I will be swapping a CBEA from my wrecked 09 TDI into a 2007 GTI.

So far the mod list is as follows:

Drivetrain:
CR170 Turbo upgrade ✅
3" DPF delete ✅
2micron CP3 Pump and filter upgrade
Full EGR delete (maybe ASV) ✅
S3 intercooler from AWE with custom hoses. ✅
Oil pump conversion ✅
South Bend stage 2 end. Single mass flywheel ✅
Dog bone insert ✅
Ecs tuning carbon intake box ✅
Neuspeed turbo discharge pipe ✅
DEI header wrap and silicone paint ✅

Suspension:
ST Coilovers off wrecked Jetta ✅
Aluminum Passat control arms and knuckles

Interior:
Euro switch with auto light sensor ✅
Full set of Euro Gti plaid seats with waterfall headrests.✅
Recover door panels
Mk6 steering wheel with GTD badge
New south vent pod boost gauge ✅

Body:
GTD badging ✅
Badge-less front grill ✅
Carbon mirrors
Smoked side markers ✅
Darker tail lights ✅
HID fogs ✅

Got my work cut out for me. Someone the body parts and unnecessary parts are going to have to wait until I sell parts off the parts Jetta to get the funding. Plan is to not spend too much more money that the budgeted $4500 not including the buyback on the tdi or the purchase of the Gti.

List of things to do:

Pull Motor from tdi ✅
Separate needed wiring from tdi donor✅
Remove fuel tank from tdi ✅
Remove all fuel lines from tdi✅
R&R turbo, egr, clutch from Motor ✅
R&R timing belt ✅
Convert oil pump ✅
Remove Motor from Gti ✅
Cut into wiring on Gti and integrate tdi wiring in. ✅
R&R gas tank in Gti ✅
R&R fuel lines in Gti ✅
R&R cluster in Gti ✅
R&R intercooler with S3 ✅

Then the interior and cosmetic things come after the car is running and fault free.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Some pictures of the wiring removed from the Jetta. Being I will be deleting so much I'm only keeping the EGT sensor on the turbo, the first o2 sensor, N75, glow plugs, and heater on the intake pipe that are on the body harness.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Very nice. That is a beast of a CP3. I'll be interested how the R110 cp3 fits. My R70 looks slightly more compact.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
I'm just waiting on an oil pump conversion and the rest of the kit to come in so I can put the oil pump in, and mount the turbo, hpfp, and timing belt.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Got the oil pump conversion in today. Also got the mounting for the CP3 pump so I can put that on and the new timing belt and get it ready to go in the Gti.

Took the timing belt off, and the old BSM out. I'll work on getting the conversion on another day, and get the motor together.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Progress was made today!

Turbo on
oil pump conversion done (I did plug the bsm feed hole just not pictured)
CP3 pump mounted
New timing belt kit and water pump on
Neuspeed turbo muffler delete on

Huge thanks to Andrew @ 2micron for shipping me out what I needed to get the pump mounted, while I wait for the anodized bits. Also huge thanks to Andrew @ fixmyvw.com for all these parts, pretty much everything came from him!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Looks like a great build! I just have one critique so far - remove the neuspeed damper replacement, it'll bring you many headaches. Stick with the stock one, these small turbos need the damper.

I've been dreaming of such a swap myself.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
I thought it was just a muffler and didn't effect much. Looking into it, it has a small hole can't be best for the turbo haha.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The thru hole is the same size as the turbo outlet. With the neuspeed outlet you'll get nasty boost oscillation. There are a few threads about it in the performance section.

That cp3 looks abnormally large too?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He definitely should have plenty of fuel with the R110 CP3. The standard R70 is good for 350+ hp.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
True dat. Much easier to achieve the 350+ hp on the BMW 3L I6 diesels equipped with Bosch cp3s3 R70 pumps. For over 400 hp I think they upgrade to R90 pumps.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks great. That pump will be so understressed it should last forever. And if you ever decide to go for a 500 hp engine build, you're halfway there. :D It's great that the R110 fits right up.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
The thru hole is the same size as the turbo outlet. With the neuspeed outlet you'll get nasty boost oscillation. There are a few threads about it in the performance section.

That cp3 looks abnormally large too?

I'm not sure I agree with you, the outlet is the same size, it's just a much nicer transition into the larger diameter hose. I understand why the baffles in the stock one may be better but I'm going to see how this one does first.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Also I think that if you had a problem because the diameter of the pipe gets larger all of a sudden, you would get the same effect where the stock one meets the hose that connects to the pipe over the trans. The hole on the outlet is the same size as the inlet. That transition would give you the same effect if that were true.

Also I just noticed the stock one I have off my 09 wouldn't fit on the CR170 anyways. So I would have had to buy one of the plastic ones from Vw. Neuspeed one is cheaper, metal, and has to flow air better..

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
On another note, I got the clutch installed, Torqued and slave pre-bled. Installed the trans, and started putting the coolant hoses and boost hoses back on. It's ready to drop in. Going to tackle the wiring this week, I got my bay at work clear of a 4.2 Audi timing chain job, so the Gti sits there for me to tinker with on my free time when there isn't any work. So naturally I'm not mad when I'm slow, I've got other things to do! Haha

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Well I got most of the Ecu wiring squared away, engine is in. Have to take a step back and look at the fuse box wiring. I think I have to switch back to the Gti fuse box. Can't get anything to happen inside the car. Aside from interior lights and cluster display.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
i have done a GTD swap on my mk4

hardest part was the wiring. everything else is simple

can you do a full detailed write up on your wiring? i took small videos on wiring since its so much easier to understand instead of wiring diagrams and pin outs

cheers

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
I'm probably going to rip the dash out of the Jetta, and swap over most of he harness under there. I'm not getting any communication from the Ecu and the cluster is in "SAFE".

I think that I'm running into a can bus issue and a K line issue. The Gti uses both, the Jetta only uses can bus. So instead of trying to figure out this and that, I'll just swap it all over. At least I'm thinking that... the dash and all is the same, so if any of it is attached to the radio, hvac etc I can just swap it all over. I can wire it for heated seats while I'm in there too.

Once I can get the Ecu to power on a communicate properly I can figure out the engine wiring and if I have made any mistakes. But hard to know if I can't communicate with the Damn Ecu.

I think aside from taking both dashes out, it will be easier and less time consuming to go through each wire to make sure it is the same as the Jetta harness. I've already cut most of the ones going though the firewall, but I can just splice or use the Gti wiring from there. Maybe just re pin most of the stuff. Again, I'm hoping..

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
I didn't have to swap the wiring under the dash.

Pin 87 on the T94 plug was not on any of my wiring diagrams or I missed it. It was the missing link to power the Ecu on. I could have left the one from the Gti in the same spot, but I had it as a "blank" so I removed it just in case. Didn't want to power up a pin that didn't need it.

Moving onto the fuel pump relay next. There is an easy way to do that, but I want to try to do it to where I won't have any fault codes.

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Got the fuel pump relay wired up, got all the wiring wrapped up. Tucked the Ecu away. I wasn't getting any fault codes related to any of the sensors I wired up, so hopefully it will stay that way.

Waiting on the fuel pump pieces to finish up the cp3. Going to swap the tank and fuel lines in the mean time.

Also got intake manifold runner flap delete tabs to install at some point. ?probably should do that before I put the front end on. ?

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
Some more progress today

Intercooler installed in the front clip. Going to wait to put the front end on, until I wrap up the boost pipes and do the intake manifold runner flap delete.

Took the tank out today also. Going to remove the evap system. Then put the tdi tank and lines in later this week/end.

The wiring near the battery box is too tight and I might have to un wrap some of it to get the battery box to fit right. Then I'm going to wrap the wiring one more time with some more friction tape. Wish I had used a slightly more flexible tape.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
what does the intake manifold runner flat delete do exactly? any performance ? where do you buy one and does ECU have to be programmed for the delete too?

never heard of this

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
wow a built up dirty diesel.. what happens when no one supports that engine with parts as vw screwed the pooch.. why make timing belts or things like waterpumps?? i hope things like th eoil filter is used in a different application too.. else they may get hard to obtain.. easiest way to get i toff the road.. no more oil filters...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^ That is laughable. Parts will not be hard to get. Common rail's rock!

Jagerauto

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi
what does the intake manifold runner flat delete do exactly? any performance ? where do you buy one and does ECU have to be programmed for the delete too?

never heard of this

The performance gains, if any would be minimal and dependent on other mods. I've read a little on the delete, the flaps at a very light load improves combustion stability. I also read that the motors were quieter under load without the flaps.

I didn't do it because of performance, I did it because I wanted a simpler setup, I already had the diesel geek "fix", and I can sell that to a customer when they bring one in with the same problem.

I also was experiencing a loud motor at times. Like going through the neighborhood at low speed in 2nd gear. The engine was particularly loud, like injection timing, or fuel was cut back. Hoping this goes away at least.

In any case these plates are top notch quality, a buddy of mine makes them.

@bengone1