Mk4 TDI won't accelerate (limp mode)

legittwitt

TDI
02 jetta TDI
So basically when I go to accelerate (only sometimes) my car just goes into limp mode and stays at like 2000 rpms. And if I let off the throttle then push back down most of the time I can accelerate normally. Does any else happen to have this problem and does anyone know what I can do th fix this?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So basically when I go to accelerate (only sometimes) my car just goes into limp mode and stays at like 2000 rpms. And if I let off the throttle then push back down most of the time I can accelerate normally. Does any else happen to have this problem and does anyone know what I can do th fix this?
I'm not really clear about what you're saying. So, for clarification...

If the engine is sitting at 1200 RPMs regardless of pedal position, then your accelerator pedal is bad. This condition may clear itself by reapplying the accelerator.

If what you're saying is that you can't accelerate past 2000 because there isn't enough power, then you're talking about limp mode, although I have never heard of limp mode clearing itself up be reapplying the accelerator.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, not classic limp mode, more like brake switch is sticking on mode.

For what ever reason our cars are programmed to ignore the throttle when the brakes are on...until you release the throttle and try again.

And, while doing so, the ECU limits RPM to around 2000. :)

legittwitt

TDI
02 jetta TDI
Yes sometimes when i accelerate the rpms go up 2000 then wont go any higher even if i step on it to the floor. then if i let off for a second then push back on everything is normal. I also have an EGR delete that my brother did before i bought the car from him, could any of the hoses not be in the right spot or something? could that cause this?

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yes sometimes when i accelerate the rpms go up 2000 then wont go any higher even if i step on it to the floor. then if i let off for a second then push back on everything is normal.
Classic broken brake light switch behaviour... and pretty simple to eliminate as a suspect before moving on to more complicated possibilities. Just sayin'. :)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The brake light switch got done in 2006... Could it be bad again?
Put your foot under the brake pedal and try to lift it. The switch could be fine but the pedal could be hanging up and not fully returning.