MK4 TDi with broken 5 speed shifting cable

TonganDiesel

TDI
2000 Black 5 speed manual 234k miles, 2002 Black auto Jetta 309K miles
I am hoping to find a TDi enthusiast mechanic in Logan Utah to replace my cable shifting tower. One cable is broken. I can't find any shop even the dealer to do it. I swapped in the 5 speed to replace the bad auto tranny. 5/20/2023

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
if you yourself swapped in the manual, the cable on its own is much simpler to do?

TonganDiesel

TDI
if you yourself swapped in the manual, the cable on its own is much simpler to do?
I can do the repair, but I am in MI. The car is in Utah. I may hath to pay the $2000 to ship the car.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I get what you're looking for - good idea to look for someone on here who'd be able to do the job for you.

Worst case, though, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to fly out there and fix yourself and then drive it back (or fly back if the plan is to keep it there)?

TonganDiesel

TDI
I get what you're looking for - good idea to look for someone on here who'd be able to do the job for you.

Worst case, though, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to fly out there and fix yourself and then drive it back (or fly back if the plan is to keep it there)?
I considered all options.
Ticket (Detroit to Salt Lake) + hotel + Uhaul to tow home($2K) = xxx
Auto shipping transport range $1500 - $1800
Fly there and fix it. Cheapest method. It has too many unexpected outcomes. Not the proper tools, place to work at, blah blah blah.

I can't sell this immaculate clean car. It is too fun to drive. Malone stage 3, Bosio PP 520 nozzles and custom build 6 pucks Kentucky clutch.

Sleet

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 98, black
I considered all options.
Ticket (Detroit to Salt Lake) + hotel + Uhaul to tow home($2K) = xxx
Auto shipping transport range $1500 - $1800
Fly there and fix it. Cheapest method. It has too many unexpected outcomes. Not the proper tools, place to work at, blah blah blah.

I can't sell this immaculate clean car. It is too fun to drive. Malone stage 3, Bosio PP 520 nozzles and custom build 6 pucks Kentucky clutch.
No that math is bad.

Based on your profile you already have an available A4.

Not sure your location in MI but say Kalamzoo to SLC is around 1500 miles / 40 MPG = 37.5 gallons each way. Fill up at the truck stop 20 miles west of Larami, WY (I believe it's exit 370 or there about) and then again in Waco, NE

Bosal Hitch $500 (tops) + Rent a tow dolly for a couple days ($300 tops) + Fuel for the drive $300 = $1,100

I'd be willing to bet I've done that drive (while towing a car on a tow dolly with an A4 and a Bosal hitch) more than anyone else on here.

Very doable, get a break controller and a dolly with brakes if you're really nervous but it's totally doable.