MK4 TDI rear wheel bearing...is this normal?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hello everyone, I am in the process of doing the driver side rear wheel bearing/brakes and as I started on the rear passenger side I noticed that it makes a slight noise.

I'm not sure if this is fine or not as the bearing without load may sound a bit different but I wanted to ask since if I'm doing one wheel bearing, I may as well do the other.

The car is a diesel wagon with 414,000km.

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/h-F90B1w6Dg

Thanks!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
That sucker is noisy, you'll probably be amazed how much quieter it'll be after replacement.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Put a fork in it......it’s done : )

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
nice and crunchy. i want chips now. sounds like it dried up. Where one failed, the others arent far behind.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
nice and crunchy. i want chips now. sounds like it dried up. Where one failed, the others arent far behind.

This one is the one that isn't far behind :)

You should have seen the drivers side rear wheel bearing. I'm even embarrassed how bad it was.

Anyways.

Thank you all, bearing removed, new dust shields, brake lines, calipers, rotors and pads are being installed this week :)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Just read your subject line again and after watching the video its totally normal...for a clapped out bearing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
After changing all four of the 2001 twice I agree if one is bad the other three will shortly follow. Especially for the front if you go over speed bumps regularly.