MK4 TDI - Noise after revision

yeeet

TDI
golf mk4 110
Hello everyone,

I bought a mk4 tdi a few days ago (110hp version) and I've had a revision that cost me almost 700€ where it was changed a lot of things, timing belt, oils, filters, etc etc.
Tomorrow I'm going to the mechanic again because of this noise, but it's a bit far and I would like to know if any of you know the cause for this noise!
The noise becomes faster if I rev it, the more I rev the more it "clicks".

I recorded two videos so you guys can hear;

Any idea on what this could be? Thanks so much!

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I

I've checked some youtube videos and the sound is very similar indeed...would this be hard/expensive to fix?
Depends on what the actual problem is. A manifold gasket is a cheap part but is a bit of work to change since it's behind the engine. A down pipe is expensive but easier to change. Take a good look behind the engine and underneath the car

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Timing off, if its a bew could be cam worn .
My assistant is star of this video

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
It is major he should have noted this when doing the timing belt as you have the valve cover off when doing that job. And the 110 bew are known for worn cams. As well as when changing the oil filter was likely full of metal. I have 365 thousand miles and wore out two cams before replacing with a colt cam made from billet steel not "factory" . Original cam was replaced at 110,000 lasted till 200,000 so i have 150,000 on the billet one. I recomend replacing it with one of those and finding a different mechy to do the job. Not just new hydraulic lifters. Which now have holes in them reducing your oil pressure. Just repkacing lifters would be a cheap fix but would leave valve timing off due to less lift from worn lobes on the cam.

yeeet

TDI
golf mk4 110
It is major he should have noted this when doing the timing belt as you have the valve cover off when doing that job. And the 110 bew are known for worn cams. As well as when changing the oil filter was likely full of metal. I have 365 thousand miles and wore out two cams before replacing with a colt cam made from billet steel not "factory" . Original cam was replaced at 110,000 lasted till 200,000 so i have 150,000 on the billet one. I recomend replacing it with one of those and finding a different mechy to do the job. Not just new hydraulic lifters. Which now have holes in them reducing your oil pressure. Just repkacing lifters would be a cheap fix but would leave valve timing off due to less lift from worn lobes on the cam.
The car didn't make the noise before the revision though, I noticed it after I picked the car up and was parking at my house, and the next day I called him up and brought the car there again.
I'm not sure if my car has a bew motor, again I don't know the english definition for it but here they call it ve/vp 110hp!

And thanks for your help so far!!
edit: I think it's the AHL engine code

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I could just see one of the injector connections in the second video (a bit more light would help people here identify the engine for you), and I'm pretty sure it is a VE (like the ALH we got in North American); ours was 90hp, though, so your 110hp probably confused some people into thinking you were on the latter (slightly higher hp BEW).

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh it's VE type, be the AHF or ASV 110 in Portugal, in daylight check it's not coming from an injector, around the base. A slightly leaking sealing washer can cause that sort of noise too.
It could also be that the timing has changed due to getting a new belt fitted and it has made a quiet sound louder.