MK4 TDI. Looking for performance advice.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I plan on tuning my 03 TDI in the near future. The car is an auto to 5spd conversion, so it has the 11mm pump.

What should I do with my injectors before I get it tuned? The cheaper the better. I see $275 nozzle sets (4) on ebay.. I also see $100 sets of nozzles on ebay, are these cheap ones any good? If so, how big should I go? Everything else is stock. Clutch is new.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Big as you like but personally I'd avoid cheap and nasty, most nozzles can be tamed though with tuning and small tweaks to IQ etc.

I'm selling my PP764's though if you're interested, should be good for around 200bhp with the 11mm pump.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=405431

Check out the power enhancements section though and get as much info together as you can, maybe work out some sort of power goal you'd like to aim for.

Last edited:

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Injectors, tune, and bigger exhaust is all I really want to mod the car. I would be more than happy with ~150hp.

Can bigger nozzles work OK without any tuning? How much power can I expect with only nozzles and tuning? Bigger exhaust in the future, on the stock turbo.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You'd get the 150 easy enough at the crank with nozzles and a tune, need a bit bigger turbo to get it at the wheels though. I had mine at about 165 at the crank on the stock turbo.

And yeh bigger nozzles work fine without a tune, I had them originally on their own and loved the extra power.

But yeh, go and trawl through a pile of threads for more info, see what other people are running in their cars.

brycemk4

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
tdi power enhancements.

what should I do to my completely stock mk4 jetta tdi. preferably something that isn't going to break the bank. Thanks!!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
what should I do to my completely stock mk4 jetta tdi. preferably something that isn't going to break the bank. Thanks!!
You bumped a year old thread, lol. But I'll still help yah.

Start with making sure maintenance is up to date is always first. Tune is your best bang for the buck. Or Tune and injectors. If you do both it could cause the clutch to eventually start slipping depending on your driving style.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Bank's already broke, you bought a TDI!:D Ok, in all seriousness, you really have to set your requirements/expectations and then stick with them, otherwise you'll go through an entire bag of potato chips (reference to the Lays potato chip marketing slogan of "Bet you can't eat just one!"): I'm struggling with this right now, doing a lot of research so that I just get it all done with (for me all of this is practicality and not as a hobby [as much as I'd like to have the time to have such a hobby]).

Read some really good advice elsewhere on this forum (lots of great advice here!) about going to a GTG and testing out others' cars. I want to do this (hoping to find some event close by) in order to check out some clutches (which you're likely to need when pumping up power).