MK4 Subframe Bushing Replacement

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey everyone,

While I'm trying to sort out my power steering rack issue (hard lines on order), I've decided to drop the subframe to make my life a bit easier.
Dropping the subframe, I noticed that the two rear subframe bushings, the aluminum part of the bushing is nearly disintegrated/corroded. This is the portion that meets the mount point to the car.

As I have the subframe out, I'd like to replace the two bushings and not risk leaving it as it is and re-doing the job.
I imagine with some force, I can get the old bushings out but I'm not sure if I need a press to press in the new bushings.

I was planning on leaving the new bushings in the freezer for a bit and hopefully that will help them slide into the subframe.

Before anybody asks:
*Yes I'm speaking of the subframe bushings and not the lower control arms bushings (LCAs).
*My wagon has 422,000km and I live in salty Ontario.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe those bushings are not available for purchase individually. If really bad, you might have to purchase another subframe with bushings that are in better condition.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe those bushings are not available for purchase individually. If really bad, you might have to purchase another subframe with bushings that are in better condition.
I found them quite easily and they are being shipped.

Mpaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy 2005 1,9 105 ps; Polo 2015 90PS Bluemotion, T5 2.5 5cyl
I have changed mine before. They are cheap and, in Europe, easily available. I changed them all (also on the 'wishbones')
I do not have a big hydraulic press - I used jacks and a metal frame from a metal-framed wood trolley. I was able to do it quite well, but it was quite a bit of messing around, it would have easier with an hydraulic press.
Try to get access to one if you can. Never heard about freezing them, I think I soaked them in hot water but can't remember. One of the wishbone rubbers was slightly damaged, but otherwise it was solid

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
I changed mine at the beginning of the year, I am pretty sure I used a large 3 jaw puller to press it in but I don't exactly remember. I did coat the surfaces in wheel bearing grease though to help it in, getting them out was easy enough.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. Which supplier? States or CDN?
CDN suppliers but I'm sure they are even easier to located in the US.

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Did you end up successful without a press? I did the same job today, and think this can be done with some threaded rod and appropriate adapters. I went ahead and splurged on a small press to make life easier. Also managed to snag the last two grossly overpriced Audi TT bushings in the entire country, according to the parts rep. 8N0199282C and D. They've now been discontinued without replacement, so the only option going forward is stock or poly bushings. Super easy to install since they come in two pieces, the bolt draws them together.

Pics:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Has anybody tried these?

I personally like the idea of less slop but at the same time not too much extra nvh .... but then again back in the old days cars were body on frame with no subframes and they did not seem overly harsh ....

What do you think?

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Did you end up successful without a press? I did the same job today, and think this can be done with some threaded rod and appropriate adapters. I went ahead and splurged on a small press to make life easier. Also managed to snag the last two grossly overpriced Audi TT bushings in the entire country, according to the parts rep. 8N0199282C and D. They've now been discontinued without replacement, so the only option going forward is stock or poly bushings. Super easy to install since they come in two pieces, the bolt draws them together.

Pics:

HI,

Just curious but the engine / tranny etc can just sit in the car still and the subframe comes out like you have it ?

Thanks

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
HI,

Just curious but the engine / tranny etc can just sit in the car still and the subframe comes out like you have it ?

Thanks
I know im not the o.p. but yes, the engine/ tranny don't mount to the subframe. Basically unbolt the steering rack, control arms, swaybar, and then subframe itself. I just purchased new subframe bushings and will likely install them in a weekend or two. Having never dropped one myself, I watched a youtube video on it, and it really seems easy.

hwy9fergs

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH TDI
With hi mileage on my MK4 wagon 345k miles, I've been wondering if new subframe bushings are in order. Did you notice a goodly difference in your ride quality after doing them?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
" Basically unbolt the steering rack, control arms, swaybar, and then subframe itself. "

It would be easier to light the car on fire and push it off a cliff, no thanks.