Mk4 Steering rack replacement

TDI
MK4 GT TDI PD130
Hi all,

My steering rack has gone in my Mk4 so I’m taking the opportunity to replace with a Mk1 TT rack as I’ve heard this is a good upgrade.
I’m just enquiring as to what bits you’d recommend I actually change other then just the steering rack?
I’ve found someone local to me breaking a TT and got a good price on the rack but not sure what else I should be asking for and / or looking to replace?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Darren

TDI
MK4 GT TDI PD130
Hi all,

My steering rack has gone in my Mk4 so I’m taking the opportunity to replace with a Mk1 TT rack as I’ve heard this is a good upgrade.
I’m just enquiring as to what bits you’d recommend I actually change other then just the steering rack?
I’ve found someone local to me breaking a TT and got a good price on the rack but not sure what else I should be asking for and / or looking to replace?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Darren
I should add, that’s a Golf Mk4 1.9 GT tdi if that makes any difference

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Do you have ASR or ESP traction control? From what I understand, this greatly complicates this upgrade.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I don't have the threads in front of me, but if I remember correctly, you have to be very careful to make sure that you use the appropriate steering angle sensors. I don't think you can use the steering angle sensors that come out of the donor car. If you have the ASR/ESP button on your dashboard, I would recommend doing some extra research. I will try and find the threads that I saw. I looked into doing this in my car.

It can lead to steering and driving issues. I think there are two solutions too, but one of the basically undoes the increased turning radius you would've otherwise gained.

This is from memory, so I may have some of the details wrong, but Googling "MK4 TT steering rack ESP issue" should show you a bunch of results.

Last edited:

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Could swap over the whole subframe with the rack, leave the control arms attached with spindles, sway bar, sway bar links and struts, you can use the brakes/calipers if your wheels are large enough to clear (maybe 16" probably 17")

Tdi calipers won't mount to the spindles but 1.8 calipers fit perfect

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Replaced my '02 jettas at the beginning of the year, I replaced lower control arm rear bushings (left the front ones alone, they looked ok), ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and subframe bushings. Steering feels SO much better, although I need to replace both front wheel bearings soon too, if you have any noise or play I recommend doing them at the same time.

Edit: I used a clean junkyard rack from another mklv jetta