MK4 Skid Plates - Which works best for you?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Make that three... My plastic cover finally broke off the tabs mid way through the winter.. Didn't have an issue driving without it... I know vw's sit a little lower then other cars... But regardless, even that plastic cover probably won't do much if it were to hit a huge chunk of something

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Most around here would think that it's cheap insurance - although definitely not incident-proof, as several people have had oil pan damage even with one of these plates providing some protection...

Yuri
I would be one of those guys...late winter /early spring I hit some debris on the road and even with my skid plate (after numerous incidents in the past) it cracked my oil pan and dented my skid plate down the middle. Now I have a hybrid oil pan (with metal bottom) and my skid plate for double protection!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The defender skid plate has a slot for the oil to drain without removing the plate everytime.
So does EVO, at least they'll put one in on request.
I have it only in case I am ever away from home long enough to have the oil changed commercially. But then I can also stretch the 16,000 km change to 20,000 km until I get home.

PEACEKEEPER

TDI
MK4 TDI WAGON GLS
Sooo my wife just ripped her plastic plate off with a dead raccoon. As I like to replace OE with much better I'd also like to go with metal. The links to the defender don't work. Is it still available. I do like to give my business to the local guy if I can so I need to find the next best option. Thoughts?

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
So does EVO, at least they'll put one in on request.
I have it only in case I am ever away from home long enough to have the oil changed commercially. But then I can also stretch the 16,000 km change to 20,000 km until I get home.
And it very much may have one I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying the Defender skid plate has one which is great!

Sooo my wife just ripped her plastic plate off with a dead raccoon. As I like to replace OE with much better I'd also like to go with metal. The links to the defender don't work. Is it still available. I do like to give my business to the local guy if I can so I need to find the next best option. Thoughts?
Call up Brandon (DCB Automotive - 416 857 4873) or Perjad (www.precisiontuning.ca - 905-761-0233) to see what they have available...

Yuri
I went to Brandon's shop and had a kit waiting for me. Installed it in no time and it's the best thing I've done to my car!

Steve.VWguy

TDI
2003 TDI WAGON(not for sale!)
I realize these are old threads, I am looking for current phone number/ email address for TDIWAGONGUY in Newmarket to see if he still has Skid Plates for MK 4 Jetta.
Thanks

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I was in there recently and he still had a stack by the front door. I have one on my wagon. It is bombproof.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
I just bought my car and it has aluminum cover with side plates , do not know who / or what brand , looking at all the links in the thread and could not find anything to look at to compare / or was comparable , oh wait I did see a black steel [ looking ] one .
Mine is bear aluminum ?

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I have an Evolution skid plate installed in 2010. It has an access plate for draining the oil, which makes an oil change much easier than the plastic plate was. It also has some pretty good scratches in it from going places and hitting things a Jetta a should not hit. It was a good investment.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
My [ unknown ? ] aluminum has a removable plate that snaps in/out for engine oil also , and has a 90% cut-out - just cut the corners for trans dain .
If someone has something that seems like my discretion - I would like to know the brand ?

Karlpoppa

TDI
MKIV
My [ unknown ? ] aluminum has a removable plate that snaps in/out for engine oil also , and has a 90% cut-out - just cut the corners for trans dain .
If someone has something that seems like my discretion - I would like to know the brand ?
That sounds like it's probably the panzer plate from dieselgeek.com.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
After reading a referral of Dieselgeek and checking their site , looks just like , so now I know .