MK4 Roof Rack

Dave1080

TDI
Mk4
Hey all. I know there are plenty of threads on roof racks, but I have scoured the web and can't find a roof rack anywhere. Thule, Yakima, OEM don't make a rack compatible with my 2004 TDI. It looks like I may have to resort to a "universal" rack. Does anyone have experience with these? I would prefer to attach via the factory bolts, but all thr universal racks are compression style mounts. Has anyone modified one of these to be able to bolt it on?

Fongpei

TDI
Jetta MKIV 2004 Sedan 225k, '04 wagon 183k
hmmmm....I have the Yakima for some time now on both my current sedan and former wagon. I have used one if you're interested. DM if interested.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
There are a few OEM ones on eBay, but it looks like they ship from Germany so the cost is a bit high: $389

Dave1080

TDI
Mk4
There are a few OEM ones on eBay, but it looks like they ship from Germany so the cost is a bit high: $389
I did come across one on ebay. I'm not a big fan of how high the oem bars are, but the cost is pretty high on that one. I'm in Canada and our dollar isn't doing so good haha so it's more like 600 bucks.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Don’t know where in Canada you are but there are used OEM racks available on both FB marketplace and Kijiji…
No affiliation with the seller.
I have the same rack 2 bicycle racks and it works very well

Dave1080

TDI
Mk4
Don’t know where in Canada you are but there are used OEM racks available on both FB marketplace and Kijiji…
No affiliation with the seller.
I have the same rack 2 bicycle racks and it works very well
Thanks for the tip. I'm in Saskatchewan but I will see if they'll ship.

NFLTDI

TDI
02 Jetta 00 Jetta
Hope it’s not too late, I just went down the roof rack rabbit hole. Specifically with thule. I have the oem roof racks.. I really don’t like them.
First like you mentioned, they sit up really high.
Second the crossbars are very short, to make matters worse there’s no option to change out the bars to make them longer unless you hack them up.
Third if you plan on putting a wind fairing on good luck finding something plug and play, it’s doable… plenty of people do it. But not without some modification.
Fourth and last. Some of the Thule and Yakima accessories will fit but not all.. I had issues getting some of the Thule bike carriers to fit because of the height of they bars, they are very thick compared to other bars.

The only good thing about them is they Mount to the body and are very secure.
I wanted that security, but struggled to find any system that worked with the oem mounts.. I didn’t want the clamp on type.
If you want to go Thule this is what you need. First you need the Thule traverse fit kit 1051 this will adapt the towers you use to mount to the stock oem mounts and they give you adapters so they fit nice and flush. I just bought them 3 days ago on REI for $67.
Then you need the 480 or 480r towers, recently found all 4 on eBay for $100 with shipping, those will fit on top of the 1051 fit kit. Which tower you choose depends on which Thule bars you want.
It took me like 4 hours of interweb research to figure all of this out, but I was so dissatisfied with the oem bars that I had to find a way out. The bars are the most expensive part but they can be found used for a reasonable price. If you buy the oem bars you’re stuck with what you’ve got. But if you go with one of the big brands the customization is almost limitless… and they look better IMHO.