Mk4 PD tdi sachs silent smf

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Looking for feedback from people who have fitted the sachs silent smf tdi clutch kit to the PD engined mk4 with 5 spd box.

Needing to replace mine soon so any info would be great, cheers

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I put one on my 05 and its so much quieter than the old clutch. I can sit at a red light with my foot off the clutch and hear that Diesel engine. Is it %100 quiet? No but so much better than the previous sacks SMF.

04 and 05 are the PD models here in the states.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh BEW, mines the ATD PD lump, clutch is definitely required soon. I had the vr6 set up previously, nice clutch but it was pretty rattley at idle. Just looking for quieter this time round

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It's been several years and 150k miles or so but I think the clutch I had in it was the Sacks G60 or something like that. I remember when everything was back together and I took it for a test drive I was disappointed in the noise.

Since I had the engine out recently I put a Sacks quiet clutch in, I like it so much better. On another note my old clutch with almost 150k looks just fine very little if any wear probably good for another 150k.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I installed one in a 2003 Jetta ALH. I test drove the car and it surely seemed awesome and no doubt quiet! The lady has been driving it almost two years with zero complaints.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VR6 kit tdijarhead, that one makes a racket lol

Good to hear Andy

Cheers peeps

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh I've gone for it, a friend has managed to source it through the shop for £120 UK and I've got the flywheel already so cheap enough.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I am also about to do the same. I think I am going to go with the quiet smf as well. I think I am going to try the idparts branded clutch. Peter said it holds good on his alh golf with RC3. http://www.idparts.com/complete-clutch-conversion-kit-a4-p-3860.html
If more people have feed back that would be awesome especially if they can compare to other clutches.

The SMF I installed was from IDParts ......... good price, fast shipping and no complaints from the lady or her husband and son!

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
The SMF I installed was from IDParts ......... good price, fast shipping and no complaints from the lady or her husband and son!
What is the difficulty of installing a clutch? I have looked up the process, but it seems easy and hard at the same time. My main concern is physically removing and putting back the transmission. I can have a two people help me, but I also won't have a lift.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What is the difficulty of installing a clutch? I have looked up the process, but it seems easy and hard at the same time. My main concern is physically removing and putting back the transmission. I can have a two people help me, but I also won't have a lift.
Not too difficult, plus all modern cars are practically identical.
There are possible pitfalls, you remove several things and must get them back on correctly. All the parts are heavy and big, plus it's underneath. May need to get or fabricate special tool(s).

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Not too difficult, plus all modern cars are practically identical.
There are possible pitfalls, you remove several things and must get them back on correctly. All the parts are heavy and big, plus it's underneath. May need to get or fabricate special tool(s).
I am relatively handy, but very small. I have a torque wrench and lots of other standard tools/wrenches. If I get a strong friend and a creeper to help you think its doable in a garage with jack stands?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

As above, weight is the biggest hurdle, I use a jack with a rolled up cloth or piece of wood on the sump to move the engine up and down as needed.

Defo remove the left driveshaft, no need to remove the flanges though.

Most of it is just disconnecting stuff as Bob says, one to be careful with is the clutch slave, it's very easy to allow the plunger to come to far out then you have to bleed the clutch.

For aligning the clutch plate you can use a special tool or do like me and use a 1/2 inch extension bar, really just to get the hole central, makes refitting the box a lot easier.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I am relatively handy, but very small. I have a torque wrench and lots of other standard tools/wrenches. If I get a strong friend and a creeper to help you think its doable in a garage with jack stands?
It requires some general car knowledge. You can find many utube videos to get a general idea. Then find a good tutorial guide, the Bentley is what many use.
Up on jack stands is how I've always had to do it. High as you can. A smallish hydraulic jack on wheels is handy to support weight.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
OK thank you guys so much for the info! I have the bently and I have done some wrenching so I think I am going to order a smf conversion. One question though with the drive shaft what are the chances of that coming off kind of easy? I know it is torqued on at like 200ftlb.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
OK thank you guys so much for the info! I have the bently and I have done some wrenching so I think I am going to order a smf conversion. One question though with the drive shaft what are the chances of that coming off kind of easy? I know it is torqued on at like 200ftlb.
Loosen it while the wheel is on the ground, Breaker bar as needed and it will spin off like BUTTA. Not a terrible job, if you have someone to help you get it back into place it will make the job a ton easier.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The axels (not drive shafts :) ) will need to get tightened also.
Does your torque wrench go to that?
Not sure if its 1 time TTY bolts and nut.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The axle nuts are supposed to be single use, but I think that people re-use them (I think w/thread lock). They can take a lot of torque. The aim, as I understand it, is to apply the high torque value in order to ensure that the wheel bearings get seated/compressed; this torque gets backed-off (wheels rolled) and then the final torque, which is significantly lower, is applied.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I did not remove the axles from the hubs, only from the trans flanges. I used a zip tie and let the passenger (right) side axle hang from the turbo oil return so it’s out of the way. Don’t forget to remove the small bell housing inspection plate so that the left flange can clear the housing when you remove the trans. The driver axle, i did the same and suspended it from the strut spring. This might be a little tight so one could also remove the three small bolts that hold the lower ball joint to move the whole left wheel assembly aside. Might have to tweet the alignment afterward though.
I suspended the engine using one of those harbor freight engine support bar to raise and lower. Made something to push the engine forward as well. I used jack stands to raise the car enough to be able to roll the trans underneath on a trans jack. Most helpful to have some help as the trans is most ackward to handle from underneath. Had my 19 year old daughter help me since it was her car I was replacing the clutch on lol.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I left that left axle in before, ended up popping one of the balls out the cv joint with messing around trying to get it out the way! :D

Anyway I'm having trouble with my friends shop, the supplier insists on sachs kit 3000 384 001 but that's the VR6 kit.

I'm trying to get 3000 332 001 as per idparts part number for the silent kit. I had the VR6 one last time but it rattled a fair bit at idle.

On the plus side my brakes have started singing today, bit like being at the opera :D

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
. Had my 19 year old daughter help me since it was her car I was replacing the clutch on lol.
I had my 17 year old help start two of the bolts at the top of the bell housing. You can only hold the thing up there so long. Daughters are handy.
Who would've thought?

On the plus side my brakes have started singing today, bit like being at the opera :D

These cars are just so much fun! No really?:)

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I had my 17 year old help start two of the bolts at the top of the bell housing. You can only hold the thing up there so long. Daughters are handy.
Who would've thought?

These cars are just so much fun! No really?:)
Yup, she is rather proud of herself for having helped fix her car.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Jack, can I borrow your daughter to help me with the clutch job on my wife's Golf?:D

Hoping that the fact that I'll have the front suspension all ripped out that that will make it easier to manhandle the transmission into place (and secure it).

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
She will only turn wrenches on her own car lol.
When I did my swaps, I usually did suspension as well if needed. Indeed, it does make it easier to have all that stuff out of the way. Still a pain though.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
..................Anyway I'm having trouble with my friends shop, the supplier insists on sachs kit 3000 384 001 but that's the VR6 kit.

I'm trying to get 3000 332 001 as per idparts part number for the silent kit. I had the VR6 one last time but it rattled a fair bit at idle. ..................
You may need to source it elsewhere. Possibly they don't sell that kit where you are. They might sell it under a different name or even no. Researching parts is getting harder than it used to be.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I've done two with the car on jack stands. The gearbox itself weighs about eighty pounds or so. I held that side of the engine up w/ a hoist from one of the floor joists from the overhead in my shop.
Use a jack to lower the gearbox onto a piece of plywood or something and then drag it out from under the car. Easy peasy.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well after a bit of searching I managed to source a sachs dmf kit all in for £250 UK, so that turned up yesterday and is now fitted. Got to say it's super smooth! Amazing difference.

My old flywheel had locked up in a position that I couldn't access the bolts, had to get the grinder out then finish with a hammer and chisel. Not to bad though, about 10 minutes of messing about.

For refitting the box I got a friend over, I'm 6"3 and he's taller, also does weight training so he was perfect for the job lol