MK4 Jetta Wagon 1.9 TDI automatic transmission fill


New member
Sep 16, 2023
Central Vermont
2003 Wagon
Does anyone have a diagram or pictures that show exactly where the automatic transmission filler tube is?

Is there any way to fill the transmission without getting underneath the vehicle?

I understand that the drain is part and parcel of getting the exact amount of transmission fluid to measure correctly, but I am just interested in how to access the filler tube because I have looked at every YouTube that I can find and nobody pinpoints exactly where it is.


Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
Dec 11, 2001
outside St Louis, MO
There are just too many to list....
The 01M transmission has the fill tube down low on the front side (towards front of car) right up from about the middle of the front edge of the pan.

There is a little red snap ring plastic thing that helps hold the cap on. Usually it will break when removed, but the cap will fit the tube snug enough that it won't go anywhere even without the red thing.


That is a 01P transmission from a Transporter, but the fill location is about the same general spot.

If you just do a google image search for '01M transmission' you'll see plenty of pictures. Not sure why you are having a hard time.

Here is a link to a new transmission:

Last edited: