Mk4 Jetta needs a good TDi mechanic in Tampa

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hi all, so…
My daughter is at school in Tampa Fl with Dorothy her ruby red 2000 TDi Jetta 5 speed. It has just over 50k on the clock—yes 50k. She had a coolant hose split and a VW mechanic replaced the hose and some other misc items. The hose went again and he advised it went again because the injection pump is leaking fuel on it. Plausible I guess. My concern is that he wants to replace the timing belt and water pump with the injection pump. I had this done with a continental belt and a new water pump 25000 mi ago when we bought the car. Am I getting a bad feeling about all of this for good reason? I understood that a Continental belt should be good for around 100k now.
If I have good reason to be wary can someone make a good mechanic recommendation in the Tampa area My daughter LOVES her car—she has been offered stupid $ for it and she replied they will have to peal the steering wheel from her cold dead fingers

Thanks in advance

Matt

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
If you have the injection pump out, changing the timing belt and water pump is not a lot more work.

Give us more details though. Mileage isn't the only thing that wears out timing belts. Time does too. I'd suggest you take damn good care of an alh with only 50k on it because you have a long ways to go before its worn out

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ah thanks for the response. So the timing belt was done 2 years ago. I had the belt and water pump done when we got the car cause I figured a 17 year old belt was a problem. So what is the best source for a rebuilt alh pump or have ours rebuilt? And any idea what the cost should be for labor-looks like a bit of work.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
I resealed my own pump, using the guides here for $16.(2 seals, 1 oring) an about two hours time.
(had to buy the Triangle socket, for $20)

Also, if pump IS leaking you will both see and smell it, strongly.

I don't think leaking fuel will instantly foul a second hose, I would suspect when hose was replaced, a new thermostat was part of the mix?
If the mechanic isn't a VW mech, he might not have the thermostat/oring/NEW water spigot aligned and it leaked at the spigot/thermstat housing junction?

Find a TDI Guru around, and he might be able to get this low mileage wonder back up to square, the RIGHT way,
instead of another profiteering grease monkey....

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Ah thanks for the response. So the timing belt was done 2 years ago. I had the belt and water pump done when we got the car cause I figured a 17 year old belt was a problem. So what is the best source for a rebuilt alh pump or have ours rebuilt? And any idea what the cost should be for labor-looks like a bit of work.
I doubt the whole pump needs to be rebuilt but its possible? Probably just seals dried out from time. Best of luck finding a good mechanic

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So thanks for the advice
At this point we are going to either have to send the pump out for rebuild or buy a rebuilt unit and return ours as a core. Frustrating due to the immense cost compared to resealing but no one willing to re seal and the car is 2 hours from home

Suggestions for source of good reman pump or place to send our pump?

thanks for the help

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Sorry for the ignorance
DFIS is who?
Diesel fuel injection service? I dunno man. I hope you just find a good mechanic. It seems like a waste of money to throw money at stuff like rebuilding an injection pump. Every tdi I have owned was on original injection pumps with 200 to 300k miles on them. Do all the other cheap and free things first. You change the fuel filter ever? Run some straight diesel purge through the hoses.

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I hear ya
The pump is spewing diesel fuel
I am sure a reseal would fix the problem
No mechanic wants to do it
They want to put a rebuilt pump in
And the car is too far from home to attempt this in my garage

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
New or rebuilt pumps aren't cheap. Idparts sells rebuilt pumps for 2400 bucks. Not sure how much they cost to be rebuilt but you'd still need to remove it or pay some mechanic to do everything for you. It's a fair amount of labor jua tto remove it. Just seems like that's a waste of money especially if you don't even need a rebuild.

I imagine all kinds of things can go wrong with cars that are 20+ years old with such low miles, but I doubt it's an injection pump that's flat worn out.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
DFIS is in Oregon and while not cheap, they are IMHO the right choice. They'll take care of what needs fixing and not what doesn't; what you will get back is a pump that looks and works like it's brand new, but has the newer seal materials in it that are compatible with ULSD and biodiesel blends up to B20.

I used them and was extremely happy with the results.

While you can replace the head seal (for example) on your own actually going through the pump requires jigs and tools that you don't have. They do, and can test their work when they're done, and they do. There are a few places that are qualified to work on these VE pumps; these folks are one of them.

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The saga continues
I spoke with the mechanic He seems like a really nice guy that wants to help and he is willing to re seal the pump. I ordered the Diesel Geek seal kit
He has VCDS so retiming the pump should not be a problem when done
I am going to send him the link Diesel Geek provides to the TDI Club thread on replacing the quality adjuster seals. Might help
I’ll let ya all know how this turns out

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
DrG,

You don't re-time the pump to replace the two seals, and the pump head oring.
(pump remains on the car!!)

I was DEATHLY afraid to re-seal mine, but looking back, it was EASY.

There is a 'gimmick' to re-aligning the cap cover, but it's pretty straightfoward, and
IF you read and understand the write-ups here on TDIclub, it's a couple hours, being super diligent ...

NOW, I could certainly do the same job(replace 2 upper seals, and oring) in about an hour,
as long as pump oring comes out in one piece.(my OEM 2003 Beetle did)

No need to remove pump, pump doesn't need to be rebuilt,
nor does the timing change during a re-seal.

If I only had a reason for FL, I would drop by and re-seal it for her..paying it forward or back!

Good luck, and don't spend $$$$$$$$$$$$ for a $40 job, counting new seals, and the Triangle socket.

The Beetle was done over a year ago, with Amazon (source) seals for $16, doesn't leak a drop!

I wish you were closer, I really wanna help!(LOL)

On further thought, you might need VCDS to check/fine tune IQ? afterwards
(check your work)? Maybe that's what the mechanic was talking, but to re-seal pump i would consider that a minor procedure,
especially after rewarding the same one after a broken coolant hose, that's gravy work...

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Funny your post
My daughter was lamenting that she was not home when this happened
She would like to do it herself
She changes her own oil
Oh well next time

DrG

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I thought I’d post an update
Unfortunately the pump is cracked the case I believe and so I need a rebuilt pump and it won’t be ours. I expect that as a core it is worthless as well:(
Guess time to bite the bullet and buy a pump
FCP Euro has a rebuilt Bosch 11 mm pump and it has a LIFETIME warranty

Ar least I won’t have to pay for another pump