Mk4 Jetta headlight lenses glass or polycarb?

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
If you were replacing your headlight lenses what would you replace them with glass or polycarb? I intend to cover them with lamin X or something similar so I'm thinking the lexan would last just the same as glass and not cloud up?

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Plastic will fade over time, faster than glass ever will. I have the glass lenses and they are great.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I have a set of glass lenses I prob won't end up using if you are interested. BNIB.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
My choice would be glass. What is best for you really depends on your local conditions and your driving needs. I park my car in a garage. You might not have a garage, etc.

reissue

TDI
1979 Rabbit NA Diesel, 2004 Golf TDI, 2007 Touareg v10 TDI
Glass

You will always have the freshest and most clear lense unless something shatters it. They are also not as expensive as most people think. Volxtuning sells what I believe are the most affordable ones (Man this is the second time I have plugged these guys today... they should be paying me:rolleyes:).

Golf $70 Jetta $90 (Glass)
Jetta $65 (plastic)
http://volxtuning.com/products-page/replacement-headlight-lenses/

If you don't feel like going through the hassle of swapping the lense they also sell housings with glass lenses already on them $170-$225
http://volxtuning.com/products-page/headlights/

And the Laminx $32
http://volxtuning.com/products-page/lamin-x/

Hope this helps

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
So what are you guys doing for lenses now? I was going to put glass on but it appears volx doesn't have any "top quality" lenses in stock and hasn't for quite some time.

Mr. Pink

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
i have the polycarbonate on my retrofitted headlights, but will be swapping out for glass lenses due to a clarity issue with the polycarbonate.

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
Where you guys buying them from? Volx says they don't have any "top quality" on their website.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
Volx premium glass lenses have been out of stock for many months now. Any one try the Helix glass lenses on ebay?

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
I purchased the 2nd quality glass lenses two months ago. The glass is not crystal clear but they look great. There was a big difference in light output compared to my old plastic lenses.

I recommended these for a first try at lens replacement.

I may go to glass lens E-codes in the future but for now these are great!

The price was right too.

It was an easy job with a heat gun.

V-DubLuv

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
i replaced my lenses with glass, the visibility is great. since they are glass, they aren't very resistant to rock chips. my passenger lens has two cracks in it already, it doesnt help that my car is lowered though.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
glass

I think VW may have cheaped out on our light design making lens replacement, in the event of breakage, difficult.

I have an old Volvo with glass ecodes with the Hella logo. They are the same design as the MKIV VW except for one thing. On the Volvo they made it super easy to replace the glass. Volvo used a rubber gasket between the glass and the housing, not goo like on VW. Pop the clips and the glass comes right off, making this a 10 min job. Maybe Hella has a rubber gasket for the ecode VW lights that can be retrofit for the glass lens replacements?