MK4 Jetta Bixenon Retrofit

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Sorry, I never remember to take pictures of the process, only the outcome ;) I just wanted to throw up some photos of the Mini D2S retrofit that I did on my Jetta's headlights. Here is a breakdown of the cost I put into them:
~Morimoto Mini D2S complete retrofit kit w/ Iris shrouds- $240 (got them from TRS with a 20% off coupon)
~Ebay E-Code headlights- $78
~Ebay euroswitch- $15
~Ebay fog light wiring- $23
~Bulbs- $12

Total ~ $370

The Mini D2S is the smallest projector I could find, and it just barely fit in the back of the housing without too much modification. The yellow on the fogs is vinyl. If I could make one recomendation it would be to aim them before you put the housing back on, I had to pull mine off again to modify the adapter rings slightly. I will try to get pics of the output up in the next few days.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
CONGRADS!!! Very nice work.. .are those some real ecodes you bought on Ebay?

I have the exact same D2 minis in mine except I went for the blacked out look

How many manhours did you spend on your retrofit?

Last edited:

Schumey

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T5 2.0 TDI CAAC
How did you adjust them?
I have Hella E-Codes with Mini D2S and they're always too low :(

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
CONGRADS!!! Very nice work.. .are those some real ecodes you bought on Ebay?

I have the exact same D2 minis in mine except I went for the blacked out look

How many manhours did you spend on your retrofit?

You have the H1's (Better cut off and beam pattern) :D

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I put some shims on the bottom bolts of the headlights to put the cutoff a little higher, and be able to adjust it to where I want it. I should be able to get a picture of the beam in a couple of days. Overall I probably had 4-5 hours into them. They are not very difficult because of the H4 adapter plate that comes with the kit. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the fog lights. They seem to throw light way up in the air, rather than on the ground in front of the car like they are supposed to.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I like those shrouds a lot more than the mini gatling guns I used.

I put some shims on the bottom bolts of the headlights to put the cutoff a little higher, and be able to adjust it to where I want it.
Did this work out pretty well for you? My passenger side is over to the left a little too far, I was thinking about shimming the bolts.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Here is a bad picture of my output without the fogs on. They are not aimed the best, but they are good enough for me. In addition my driveway isn't perfectly level, so that is throwing the picture off a bit as well.

Skullbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen
Headlight newbie! Been looking online at all types of headlights.. No clue what to buy... Mine are fogged out. I don't want some aftermarket turd, but I love this look, just dont know what brands etc are quality.. How dependable? Last a long time? Bulbs pricey? I like the blacked out look like TOTHEMAX has.. Help me with the terminology, is the e-code the headlight style? And then the mini D2S the projector bulb you are putting in? if I copied the above shopping list, how would I get the blacked out style? Also, I hate wiring... Freaks me out.. But I dont have fogs, so will need euro switch.. May have to head down to Tomtdi for this one.. Or is it pretty simple? And H1 is the bulb type? Does doing the retrofit have any ill effects on the battery?

JettaSportTDi

Vendor
TDI
Jetta MK4 Sport Edition
Headlight newbie! Been looking online at all types of headlights.. No clue what to buy... Mine are fogged out. I don't want some aftermarket turd, but I love this look, just dont know what brands etc are quality.. How dependable? Last a long time? Bulbs pricey? I like the blacked out look like TOTHEMAX has.. Help me with the terminology, is the e-code the headlight style? And then the mini D2S the projector bulb you are putting in? if I copied the above shopping list, how would I get the blacked out style? Also, I hate wiring... Freaks me out.. But I dont have fogs, so will need euro switch.. May have to head down to Tomtdi for this one.. Or is it pretty simple? And H1 is the bulb type? Does doing the retrofit have any ill effects on the battery?
Dependable YES that is if the person making them uses good parts. Bulbs last for 4yrs or more, replacement bulbs can be between $15-$90 a pair.
E code is the beam pattern the Mk4 jetta ecodes have a straight then flare up on the right side. TOTHEMAX has the mini H1's :D with GTI-R shoulds. If you buy from a retrofitter you should get a fully plug and play system.

Mini's Morimoto come in both D2S and H1 bulb.

No effact on your battery..........!

Schumey

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T5 2.0 TDI CAAC
I put some shims on the bottom bolts of the headlights to put the cutoff a little higher, and be able to adjust it to where I want it. I should be able to get a picture of the beam in a couple of days. Overall I probably had 4-5 hours into them. They are not very difficult because of the H4 adapter plate that comes with the kit. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the fog lights. They seem to throw light way up in the air, rather than on the ground in front of the car like they are supposed to.
How many shims or how much mm?