mk4 golf solid clutch question

pierre

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf gls
I had in 07 installed a dual diaphragm clutch. The pressure plate is and solid flywheel are still good. The springs broke in the clutch disk.
I'm looking for a part number for a solid clutch disk of the correct diameter. My old one is just under 9". I am currently running a solid sachs SD80221 and it is working. However I would like to get a clutch disk of the correct diameter in the car. If anyone knows the correct part number for my application let me know.

I was looking at the sachs 06b141031m, the diameter is right, but I'm not sure if the rest is an exact fit.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Are you looking to break transmission next? The springs cushion the torque impulses to save the rest of the driveline.
If you are racing and failures are a part of the price of admission, but on the street it is a bad idea.
Waay back we had the clutch splines rip out in the Daytona Continental 24 hr race at about 18 hrs.
No way to change it. Perhaps if we had not used that solid clutch disk...
By the way 4 cylinder engines have much worse impulses than a 5 and the TDI is particularly strong, hence the DMFs etc.

pierre

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf gls
I understand solid puts on some more stress.
I do have the 22lb flywheel which helps dampen pulses.
My problem is I had a sound bend clutch give out
And the springs gave out on my dual diaphragm clutch.
I want something that won't break again.
Its why I'm asking about solid.

pierre

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf gls
Ok and update the clutch has been in for a few thousand miles. It is working beautifuly. I just replaced the transmission with a reman one. Shout out to Aaron for hooking me up with the part. All new internals, taller ring and pinion and taller fith. There was no sign of abnormal wear. I still could cleanly see the scuff marks where I ran a cookie over the pressure plate and flywheel. In fact I could not see any clutch wear. So for now the solid clutch stays.

The taller fith is cool it runs 75mph at 2krpms. I really did not notice any difference with the taller ring. mayby 1mph taller. The fifth is an acquired taste. It is at least a 1k rpm drop from fourth. 3k in fourth shift to just under 2k in fifth. Over all I like it. but I can see why people don't go with the tallest fifth. If you don't drive over 70 its not worth it. However driving 70 and above puts a smile on my face. This car has legs. It is a blast in the 70 to 90 range. I haven't pushed it further, not in the mood for a ticket. At 80 it acelerates well.

In the 50 to 70 range I would like a taller fourth. So I have gone from being annoyed at a too short a fifth to being anoyed at a too short fourth. However for the way I drive I like it and think it was worth it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I found a .658 too tall, for me the .717 suits me and my set up and driving style. Conditions permitting I run 75-80 circa 2600rpm.
24-2600 is the sweet power spot IMO, especially towing. From there I'm at a 100 PDQ.
Surprised the lower R&P doesn't seem to add much.
To each his own.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I never have towed with this car anyway. "

They make great little tow vehicles, I've done 1000s of miles pulling a 1300# teardrop camper. Mind you, if you read my mod list, I'm putting out a lot more power than stock. With a Euro style hitch, rating around 1500kg/3300#s, it's a very capable small truck.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
get the clutch disc for the sachs DMF application
it doesn't have the springs in the hub