Mk4 cruise control to 4 wire switch

tdihuntdawg

TDI
Original 82 diesel now ALH SYNCRO
Has anyone been able to hook up 5 wire cruise control from 2000 Jetta to 4 wire vanagon switch I also noticed that the mk 3 switch is 4 wire. At last resort I'll go to pick and pull get a switch and graft it on to stalk like Andy Bees did.

tdihuntdawg

TDI
Thanks Dave that is just what I was looking for. I already have the brake and clutch switch's installed and vagcom to show me there working right. I will try that tomorrow and report back Jim

MrDave

Veteran Member
It's been working for me for, wow, 14 years.
I assume the vanagon controls are the same as FWD cars from that era.

If it doesn't work, play around with the wiring and watch the ECU in Vagcom.

If your ECU is the earlier 80 pin, I guess you can compare the earlier ALH ( 80 pin ) vs later ALH (121pin) wiring diagrams. I believe the cruise switches are the same.

-Dave

cyrus #1

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
The brake switch can be a tricky one to figure out. VW uses two circuits as a fail safe on the brake switch wiring. One is obviously the switch at the brake pedal and is pretty easy to figure out. The tricky one looks for a specific resistance (through the brake lights) when the brakes are not engaged. I used a relay on mine to accomplish this. Not sure if the cruise will function properly without it.

Also, don't forget that the ECU will require a speed signal from a VSS. It shouldn't need to be absolutely accurate as long as the reading is close.

tdihuntdawg

TDI
The vanagon switch has the same colors so I hooked it up to the 121 pin wiring and tested it with vagcom. Everything worked right so I test drove and it worked great.this is a milestone and one of the last things on my swap thanks Dave