Mk4 Clutch Replaced, car wont move.

MrAsano

TDI
1999 Golf 4th Gen ALH
Hi everyone. Here's my problem and a video.

The car shifts into gears while the car is off and on. The gear shifting seems really soft until I put it into reverse. It gets stuck a little but the car still wont move. I put grease on the input shaft (but not too much), bled the clutch, got all new oil seals, the car isn't leaking, used Redline GL-4 trans fluid...I don't know what's going on. My guess is the slave master cylinder but it worked just before the clutch went out. I also noticed that the car now makes this new sound when I turn it on. I installed a new duel mass flywheel that I got from LUK with the clutch kit.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

When you did the clutch did you take the cables off individually or did you remove the cable assembly as a unit?

Those two video will help you reset the cable adjustment from the looks of your video your shifter is doing nothing.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

You have the older style Mk3 shift cable system. Maybe this link will be better information:

MrAsano

TDI
1999 Golf 4th Gen ALH
You have the older style Mk3 shift cable system. Maybe this link will be better information:
Yeah I've moved that forward and backward, still no engagement. I ordered a "super slider" ( https://www.dieselgeek.com/products/super-slider-for-1993-1999-vw ) to see if this fixes my problem but I have a feeling that it wont work. Thanks for all the help.

MrAsano

TDI
1999 Golf 4th Gen ALH
The shift tower can be removed and swapped for the newer system if you can obtain a donor car.
Luckily my neighbor works at a junk yard and found a TW engine/trans intact. It's the newer model too but if I get the newer tower, I'd have to replace the cables too right?

Here are some more videos I took. Less than 15 seconds each

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
A good used one is fine.

Here's a guy who swapped out his. It looks like you need to do more than the cable ends.