MK4 ALH .. Need All-Terrain Tires.. Will 205/75/15 fit stock suspension?

yamasaki760

TDI
None yet
Hello, (yes i did search but found most of the A/T tire threads were related to snow and I'm in South Florida, no snow here)...

I use my ALH to drive back and forth to my hunting lease. Probably about once a month. it's about a 350 mile drive each way. 345 of those miles are nice, asphalt, comfortable roads. However, the last 5 miles is a little soft and sugar sandy. I almost got stuck last week at the 99.9999% mark of my drive lol.

So, i was wondering, since my tires are getting a little thin already and I need to replace them anyway, would a set of A/T's fit my ALH? I know I'd give up some MPGs but I'm willing to give up a few MPG's for the peace of mind of making it through the last 5 miles.

I was looking at these:

Mainly, I'm wondering if the larger diameter tire will fit and not rub. It's not too much bigger than stock, but, figured I'm not the first guy that wanted to do this here...

Thanks for your input folks..

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I have had 215/60/16's on my car and 205/65/15's. The 215's will rub just a bit if you hit a large enough bump. I had them when my bug was lifted, but then they went on the other one that wasn't lifted and they still work well. You should only lose a couple mpg at most, their heavier tires, but the larger diameter brings you further. I never really saw a difference.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
205-75-15 is what i run on my golf with jeep springs. No ill effect other than the occasional rub and the MPG loss.
195-75-15 are actually smaller diameter as well as more narrow(my previous setup)

Post some pics when you decide what size is for you.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

My larger tires will rub at full lock steering .... I try not full locking as much as possible.

My MPGs went up with the larger tires .... I guess because of the overdrive effect on highway driving.

I like the added ground clearance and filled wheel well look with the larger tires also.

I may lift the front end by lightening things up (lighter battery , carbon fiber hood etc) a bit to see if that helps reduce / eliminate rubbing when steering tight.

Andrew

jmodge

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 5speed daily commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/502's backroad cruiser
205/70/15's fit on Donna's stock suspension, you might have issues with no lift on 75's I think