MK4 ALH 5-speed quest/ownership

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seller may be nuts but if it's as clean as you say you may want to try and make a deal, maybe at $1000. Whether or not you over pay for the car isn't really going to matter in the larger scheme of things. These things don't come along every day, especially not clean ones.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Guess I'm with IndigoBlue on this one. I'm now working hard to keep ahead of rust on mine. Once it starts....

Maybe you could ask for a list of those "new parts" to see what's there, but a clean body ("...and it's a WAGON!") is quite valuable IMO.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just scored a nice 2002 sedan (original owner) with just shy of 300k on the clock, that for some unknown reason lost a cylinder. He didn't want to fix it, despite me trying to get him to. Got it for $200, and sold the Chinaspokes/Goodyears that were on it the next day... for $200. :D

Just waiting on some Avus center caps and it'll at least look nice again. Gonna pull the head off this weekend maybe.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

No affiliation, but it gives you a comparison of what's available. Auto and running is the claim, and it's
a Passat and not an ALH, still, food for thought. NB, rebuilt title, if that matters to you.

Any vehicle of this kind of vintage is going to require some serious cash infusion.

Striker223

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I just scored a nice 2002 sedan (original owner) with just shy of 300k on the clock, that for some unknown reason lost a cylinder. He didn't want to fix it, despite me trying to get him to. Got it for $200, and sold the Chinaspokes/Goodyears that were on it the next day... for $200. :D

Just waiting on some Avus center caps and it'll at least look nice again. Gonna pull the head off this weekend maybe.
Something like that would be so ideal, I don't really need to get whatever I buy on the road immediately so I want something that is cheap enough it won't bother me taking a while to fix or at least moves so I can drive it a little if it costs more. This endeavor is multi-purpose for sure, my usual "vibe" for cars is very high end or very fast with usually both.....however I always wanted to own a diesel and I like the MK4s.

Striker223

TDI
Finally found exactly what I wanted, ALH 5 speed Silver over Black leather with 240k miles. Comes with unmounted new tires, all 4 shocks, new front knuckles, and a full set of brakes. Needs #3 injector harness repaired.....I suspect that it may just need a new injector entirely though. I'll be picking it up tomorrow

Also found a 2nd one I may buy

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I live in the land of Salt and Rust. The herd has all come out of the South where such treatment is lower intensity. The ALH's are all under 200k, and 2 of the three are well fettled. The third just needs a wee bit of attention. IME, get a good body and the rest will follow with some effort. I will be driving one of them for a good long time... :) The BEW's? one is properly set up and is the primary...the latest is entirely stock and of drool-worthy miles accrued so far.

Douglas

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Looking forward to seeing your progress! I'm 4 months in to a similar project. Fun stuff! :)

Striker223

TDI
It's at my house now, I'm going to clean it up first and swap the suspension here and hopefully get the engine running correctly enough to use again. Belt will be done at my shop since I'm lazy and want to use a lift for that, seems like a fairly interesting process to do one vs most belts.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
as long as rust doesn't kill it, they can run virtually forever :)
So...on this, pull the back of the front fender liners loose to access the rot pocket and allow you to reach up to the top of the wheel arch and pull out the foam block. With the foam gone, and the rot pockets clean, they don't rust so fast... :)

Douglas

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
So...on this, pull the back of the front fender liners loose to access the rot pocket and allow you to reach up to the top of the wheel arch and pull out the foam block. With the foam gone, and the rot pockets clean, they don't rust so fast... :)

Douglas
And maybe spray some Fluid Film in there too

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
So...on this, pull the back of the front fender liners loose to access the rot pocket and allow you to reach up to the top of the wheel arch and pull out the foam block. With the foam gone, and the rot pockets clean, they don't rust so fast...
That's good to know about the foam block. I'm replacing the fenders on mine. I won't stick that foam block on the new fenders.

This was what I found behind my wheel liners.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah that’s typical.

Striker223

TDI
So this may end up being a VERY involved thread, cyl 3 is not firing at all so if I go to bleed and it doesn't work I may be pulling the engine apart for a re-ring/hone lol!

Striker223

TDI
Start with a compression test.
I wouldn't be all that mad if I do need to rebuild it, I'm doing a bleed first since that takes 10 minutes vs having to drive to my shop in another car and bring the tester back here. Once I'm done cleaning it up it will go up there and we will see how this goes

Striker223

TDI
Misfire on 3 stopped with the bleed, started instantly at 5*F with no glows as well so that makes me feel good about my injection pump.

Next I'll be repairing the 3rd injector car side harness and glow harness as both are cut/broken. From there I'll see if it needs carbon cleaned and check for turbo seal condition and clean out the charge piping from oil buildup. Hopefully everything is fine

Last edited:

Striker223

TDI
Okay dumb question, if my needle lift sensor is totally disconnected am I correct to assume I will have no power and the engine will be very slow to rev/respond even just sitting and spiking the throttle?

Just curious since I think I have the engine running as correctly as possible before making that repair but it doesn't want to really blip at all vs how these normally feel

I have some turbo response according to VCDS and I can hear it, I haven't driven it though as I won't do if it can't meter properly

Striker223

TDI
With the needle lift sensor disconnected you should have a P1247 code, MIL on, GP light flashing, and engine in limp mode.

Thanks

Yes we have all that, I was more curious if what I was observing is "correct" for limp mode. I'm just paranoid since I have no idea what this engine is supposed to be like/warning signs of massive issues etc since I have only ever been around PD or common rail engines.......speaking of does anyone know of a "pre-made" pigtail for the car side of the square type lift sensor I can buy?

Reason I ask is the car is at my house not the shop and I don't really enjoy doing connector work when it's 2* outside lol! I'm also trying to avoid moving one of the Audis outside but I will at this rate so I can get the TDI working

Striker223

TDI

Here is where the car stands, I got most of the small stuff done in my spare time after work but I am running into a persistent issue on #3 having a dead miss. Glow harness and needle sensors are both fixed now and all that stuff is working as intended etc....there is a dead ABS sensor but I don't really care about that right now.

I am not familiar with VE pump type diesels so I'm not sure what I should consider as my next step, the 3rd injector looks to have been removed at some point prior to my ownership. I cleaned the engine bay off before working on anything and that let me noticed that post repair when I went on a short drive that #3 is leaking around the base, should I be considering a new set of injectors/trying to reseal this one considering the misfire or????

On the plus side the new tires are better than what came on the car and were free, I'm going to finish cleaning the interior up and doing a 2 stage paint correction while I contemplate what to do about the injector issue. Should I send them to someone here who rebuilds them/flow balances?

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Misfire on 3 stopped with the bleed
I am running into a persistent issue on #3 having a dead miss. Glow harness and needle sensors are both fixed now and all that stuff is working as intended etc....there is a dead ABS sensor but I don't really care about that right now.

I am not familiar with VE pump type diesels so I'm not sure what I should consider as my next step, the 3rd injector looks to have been removed at some point prior to my ownership. I cleaned the engine bay off before working on anything and that let me noticed that post repair when I went on a short drive that #3 is leaking around the base, should I be considering a new set of injectors/trying to reseal this one considering the misfire or????

On the plus side the new tires are better than what came on the car and were free, I'm going to finish cleaning the interior up and doing a 2 stage paint correction while I contemplate what to do about the injector issue. Should I send them to someone here who rebuilds them/flow balances?
I take it bleeding didn't actually have any effect, cylinder #3 is still dead? Have you done a compression test?