MK3 & B4 Short Shift Kits

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Well, Ive been brainstorming the details of this for a while and have finalized a design and secured my hardware for a first run. It came to me a couple months ago after a want for a short shifter on my own MK3 TDI, and one dark and stormy night I mocked up the first prototype and have since honed the design to my and a few guinea pigs' liking.

MUUUAHAHAHAHAH!

Since dieselgeek stopped making a product about 2 years ago there really has been nothing available (other than hacking your shift lever, which isnt the real thing anyways) for a short shifter for an 02A transmission. I have received a patent for my product to protect my idea, which is unique to other approaches previously and currently available.

Application
This will fit all MK3 or B4 with ANY O2A transmission; TDI or VR6.
I am currently looking at Corrado and MK4 early type as well.
Throw will be reduced by roughly 28%
Is constructed of mild steel, painted. Includes grade 10.9 and 12.9 Hardware.

Installation
This is the BEST part! Install will only take 15 minutes for a mildly skilled person and is completely reversable to stock form in the same amount of time if desired.

Price
A kit with all neccesary hardware included will cost $70

Ordering instructions
For the time being, orders are simply made through Paypal. Simply send $70 plus $6 shipping to kmhmotors@gmail.com. If you are a Massachusetts resident please add $4.38 for tax....thanks Deval!

Be sure to have your shipping address up to date with Paypal, and make note any special instructions if needed. I promise to have the part in the mail no longer than 2 business days after date of purchase. Pickup is welcome at my location in North Chelmsford, MA during normal business hours M-F 8am-5pm

If for some reason I am out of stock, I will post here to let people know that I connot get one shipped in two days. Otherwise, they are here for the taking.

If you have any questions regarding installation or sales, please contact
me at kmhmotors@gmail.com

HO5G Special -6/25/11
I will bring a plenty with me so you can pick them up. Ill be there from roughly 10am-2pm. PM me to get my phone number so you can find me once there. Price will be $65 for this special occasion. I will also provide free installation if desired.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I'll take 2 at the HO5G GTG and bring cash unless you'd prefer Paypal.
See you there.

k_harley

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Great, thanks guys. Ill have mail out orders out by monday and for ho5g, you know what they say....cash is king.

ch0psh0p

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 5spd 1.9l TDI Beetle, 2011 TDI JSW, 2dr TDI 5spd Golf
How does the throw compare to the gruvenparts 02a shifter? What reductions can be expected?

I do not like my gruvenparts shifter very much. The side to side reduction is overkill. It is much to easy to mistake 1st with 3rd. Going into 5th gear is a little unnerving too.

k_harley

TDI
The gruvenparts unit reduces side to side.

My part part reduces for-aft.

I know, Ive driven a few cars with the gruvenparts unit and I wasnt too crazy about it myself, you loose too much leverage, which reduces the throw a lot, but to the point of discomfort. There is a fine line between just right and too short of a throw. You cant get around the fact that when you really reduce the throw, you loose mechanical advantage.

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI L4 - 1.9L vin F 116ci 1896cc type AHU - MFI DIESEL SOHC Turbo-charged 5 speed MANUAL TRANNY
Instructions included? I would like to buy one, I'm just afraid of the installation adventure....
Send me a PM with payment/shipping options please

k_harley

TDI
This thing is REALLY easy to install. Ill post up some pictures tomorrow of the part in its home. I put one on at HO5G and it took me litterally 5 mintues.

k_harley

TDI
I know, I didnt put them in with the part because I thought Id post a pictoral up here by the time you got them. Ill have that up today......I just kept forgetting to bring my camera to the shop.

Thanks

k_harley

TDI
OK, here are the instructions with pictures! I used an MK3 setup, but the B4 is nearly the same. Only real difference is the shape of the weight.

Tools needed
12mm offset wrench, 6mm allen wrench or socket, 13mm socket, extension, and ratchet.

1. Remove 13mm hex bolt (mk3) or nut (b4) securing stock shift weight and set aside both weight and bolt / nut, as they will not be reused.

2. remove 13mm hex special bolt that secures shift cable onto shift tower and set aside, this will not be reused. Also remove the square nut that sits inside the slot of the shift tower. Set this aside, it will not be reused.

All of the unused parts will look like this...I know RUSTY!

OK, now that you got all that rusty oem junk out of the way, its time for the fun part!

First clean up any excess rust with a wire brush, sand paper, or other abrasive of choice.

3.Place the KMH Shift Adaptor on top the shift tower and thread the 12mm hex bolt from the bottom, up into the shift adaptor. Be sure the peg of the shift adaptor is seated into the hole of the shift tower. You will need a 12mm offset wrench for this.

Make sure it is good and tight! Also make sure the shift adaptor is centered over the shift tower evenly on both sides. It may want to creep forward as you tighten it, so just pay close attention to this.

4. Next you can grab the shift cable and put the 6mm allen bolt through the cable end.

5. Put the new supplied washer over the threaded hole of the shift adaptor prior to threading the 6mm allen bolt into the shift adaptor. Tighten this down until it stops, but do not apply more than 20 ft. lbs (the most you could acheive with a typical 3/8" ratchet anyways.

6. Pat yourself of the back, you're done!

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Finally got a spare minute, so installed mine today. Easy 10 min job.
It works GREAT, elegantly simple.
I found the shift a little stiff at first, so I removed the allen head bolt again and lightly greased around the shaft, washer and head, that made a big difference.
Feels great now, thanks !!

k_harley

TDI
Thanks for the feedback. I should add that in the instructions about the grease on the cable end, good idea. Im pretty sure I did that on my own ones when I put them on, but its the kind of thing thats just a habit to do, not a special procedure.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Finally got a spare minute, so installed mine today. Easy 10 min job.
It works GREAT, elegantly simple.
I found the shift a little stiff at first, so I removed the allen head bolt again and lightly greased around the shaft, washer and head, that made a big difference.
Feels great now, thanks !!
Can you post a photo or two of the complete 02A tower?

k_harley

TDI
It is basicly the same thing, but I have not had a gineau pig car to test it, nor the time to really. I do plan on either confirming it fits or making one that does in the near future once things cool down a little in the shop.

Thanks

k_harley

TDI
I have not verified it just yet. I will have an answer soon though. Do you want me to wait to ship it until I do have an answer?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
nice kit! so simple!

i finally got around to installing my short shifter in my green 98 ahu i resurrected with a rebuilt head... the simplicity of this short shifter is AWESOME :D took 5 minutes. and it's a very very nice improvement in the length of the throws. i love it - how it should have come from the factory IMO. definitely not too short, has the factory smoothness, but wayyyyyy better than those long boat rowing stock throws! :cool:

jvdm

TDI
2000 / non TDI 2002 Miata
Installed the kit last night. It was a PITA to get the screw in from the bottom into the new shift adpater but other than that pretty easy to install. If you have girlfriend who has small hands ask her to help ;).
Throw definetely feels more reduced than 28%! I love it! Is there a way to adjust the setup? Sometimes it's difficult to get the 1st gear in (jumps out).

k_harley

TDI
Thank you for your support and feedback. One trick that may help is if you (but using the shift tower) shift into a gear that places the lever of the shift tower in an upward direction, that would give you some more room to sneak that bolt in from the bottom.

As for that adjustment of 1st gear, that is a matter of the plastic arm needing to be adjusted in the rearward direction. There is a 13mm nut that attached it to the shift tower and leaves room to move it forward to backward. Will take a little bit of trial and error to get it right.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I've never had a problem with my tranny jumping out of first, but I've always had to apply extra force to get it in. I've aligned it pretty much in sync with how the service manual says I should which made it easier, but getting into 1st is very much "2 stage" for me.

I have a DG short shifter and am interested in adding this, except that it would reduce my mechanical advantage and make overcoming that pressure required to get into 1st even greater.

k_harley

TDI
Long story short, that whole assembly that moves the shift tower up and down (side to side at the shift knob) is poorly designed. It uses plastic where plastic should not be used and leaves a LOT of play in the assembly in my opinion. Gruven parts makes a stainless steel piece that replaces that plasctic relay lever and reduces the throw, but Ive tried it and I personally think it takes too much leverage away from the side to side motion of the shifter and makes it difficult to find the gear.

jvdm

TDI
2000 / non TDI 2002 Miata
That did the trick! Loosened the 13mm nut and moved the assembly slightly backward. Doesn't need to move much - careful if you go to far you won't be able to shift into 2nd gear anymore.
Just a thought, if you make the shift adaptor slightly smaller it wouldn't hit the plastic arm of the shift tower. I think that would eliminate 1st gear problems. I'll take some pictures and post them here to show what I mean.
Anyways, thanks for making the short shift kit available, it works very well.

Thank you for your support and feedback. One trick that may help is if you (but using the shift tower) shift into a gear that places the lever of the shift tower in an upward direction, that would give you some more room to sneak that bolt in from the bottom.

As for that adjustment of 1st gear, that is a matter of the plastic arm needing to be adjusted in the rearward direction. There is a 13mm nut that attached it to the shift tower and leaves room to move it forward to backward. Will take a little bit of trial and error to get it right.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Unless you have a 99.5 these are totally different setups.
Look into Dieselgeek TTX Shifter for a inexpensive option.