Mk2 Gti 1z conversion thread

Agent13

TDI
1983 VW Rabbit GTi (work in progress with a '96 U.S. Passat 1Z/TDi drivetrain)
sorry about the regurgitating an old post... But....

I'm trying to sort out some wiring in my swap.. This one is the most frightening of the lot , as it has to do with the k-line to my ecu! It appears that I am supposed to connect these gray/white wires (with brown plugs), but ALSO one brown/ white wire? Browns (in VWs) are usually some form of ground wire -just not in this instance? I'm dealing with a somewhat cut up harness here, and I don't have all the blocks. Everything here should be from a 96 passat...

Thanks,
Eric R.

So here's what it looks like

THE DLC connector has the grey/white wire that branches off in three places
One (two pin brown connector matching the brown connector on the DLC harness that continues on grey and white wire goes to ECU pin 61

ANother branch goes to a single pin brown connector that mates up to another brown connector that continues on with a brown and white wire heading to the instrument cluster (this is a mk3 tdi harness goiing to a mk3 tdi cluster but it's the same going to the passat cluster and harness (this looks right, but I'm not sure)

Then I'm left with the third branch of grey and white witt this white connector which I'll have to go back and look on the passat fuse box in the daylight to find where it conncected, but its the mystery of the moment...

Thanks again for all insights...

Agent13

TDI
1983 VW Rabbit GTi (work in progress with a '96 U.S. Passat 1Z/TDi drivetrain)
Turns out that the single brown/white wire off the Passat cluster harness is for the trunk indicator! Glad I didn't fry the ECU:)

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Long time no post....been driving the GTD now and then. It lived at berg performance for a spell getting the cluster wiring resorted. Now I've got tach and speedo and MIL and turn indicators and temp and fuel level gauges working.

Just gotta sort out a glow plug code and brake sensor code and she will be legal!

I also ended up selling my Audi wagon to get a bigger wagonish Audi with too many bells and whistles.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Welcome back!

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
First off photobucket sucks!

Secondly, I got the conversion inspected. All passed except for the 3 codes still popping and the lack of a cat.
Cat is being installed as I type at exhaust pros.

So close to have this car legit and legal. Still have a code for brake light and glow plug light and a code for a warning lamps :banghead:

Shout out to the DPD for the $110 expired tags ticket I got ON THE WAY TO GETTING THE CAT INSTALLED !!!

I'm sure I'm the guy they need to be pulling over...and not the people doing hit and runs and the people stealing high end mtn bikes and the punks that are vandalizing peoples' cars. It's me. The guy trying to get his Tdi swap legal!
End rant/

Vwscream

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado 1Z, 97 1Z Passat, 85 Golf NA

Secondly, I got the conversion inspected. All passed except for the 3 codes still popping and the lack of a cat.

So close to have this car legit and legal. Still have a code for brake light and glow plug light and a code for a warning lamps :banghead:

Shout out to the DPD for the $110 expired tags ticket I got ON THE WAY TO GETTING THE CAT INSTALLED !!!

I'm sure I'm the guy they need to be pulling over...and not the people doing hit and runs and the people stealing high end mtn bikes and the punks that are vandalizing peoples' cars. It's me. The guy trying to get his Tdi swap legal!
End rant/
Wish it was that easy to get inspection done in Illinois. No one can point you in correct direction in this state. My next swap planned it for the eurovan

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Brake light as in the ECU is attempting to find an ABS sensor that isn't there? Glow plug light as in the LED in the cluster?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No ****, looks like all my conversion photos (and others) posted here are now gone. I will not be upgrading my pbucket just to host those photos so I hope people aren't pissed but they're not coming back.

End rant/
Sorry to hear about your ticket, lmk if you need anymore wiring assist to get those codes resolved so you can get on the road.

Steve

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Passed emissions today
One step closer to a legal car
Still have a brake light code and a glow plug code
But it's running good!

Ironically popped an IC coupler on the way to the testers...even though I'd been driving it now and then without issue. Had to get it back snug before the tester ran it on the Dyno. ..

Here one phot replaced since photosucket

[/url]image by Brock Blume, on Flickr[/IMG]

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
And she's legal.
Thanks all for the help!
Especially Steve Addy

That said there's still work to do but at least now I can drive it legally

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
And she's legal.
Thanks all for the help!
Especially Steve Addy

That said there's still work to do but at least now I can drive it legally
I was actually in here looking for this thread, wondering if you ever got that thing on the road.

Congrats!

PS - post up part number for the cat you had installed, some of the ones that the Mk3/B4 guys use are being replaced with new stuff, looking to add one to my wagon I think even though law says I don't have to.

Steve

Last edited:

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Sorry for no new pics on this update

Summer time driving is a blast

I'm calling it the stink whistle because this car is so torqueey under boost
But has an obnoxious sound...I think it's a small leak. Just haven't had time to find it

Too much fun driving it

Starts every time
Maintains temp

Has a code or two I also haven't chased down

And also haven't gotten the radio wired in. But it's like a go-cart going from the SQ to this!

Thanks to all that chimed in and helped me when I asked. Will update again soon!

Also Steve I just had exhaust pros throw on a new generic cat
Not sure about part #

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Didnt mean to plagiarize
But if youre selling a shirt like that put me down for one!

Honestly the way it soubds at WOT its more of a stink ‘slowly dying goose’!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Congratulations on the success! I am still chipping away at mine. At this point I still need 1-2 expensive things and I really want to get it repainted and get the floorpan repaired prior to putting the engine in there so I have to save up for that. You wouldn't happen to know any body folks in the area would you?

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Thanks!
I have two ideas for you for body work...(although with all the recent hail it may be hard to find someone with time). I know Jeff and his brothers from car star. (Call the one off Santa Fe and c470). And if school was in session I'd refer you to warren tech (close to you) and maybe the students could take on that work (that may require trust--misplaced perhaps ;))

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Just found time to throw on some parts I had lying around

Mk4 tdi badge
On new single-round grille

Diesel sticker for the fuel door!!

Still fighting flickr and photo bucket for this pic
Probably not worth the trouble

And here it is:

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
^^^yup...I sure could've...thx
Isn't a big priority right now with two littluns running around and me getting a minute here and there to get keep things moving forward....

Got the engine cover on
(Think I'm gonna try and paint the logo and tdi white down the line) but for now it's on along with the grille

The PO resprayed the car with something that's not quite alpine white. So every time I add new exterior work/paint
It doesn't quite match up. So the two grille trim pieces are just plastidip for now until there's a reason to do everything with a new color (probably not until I have a bigger garage). This car lives in the alley with tree sap and pollen and it's already been hit twice where it sits over the years. No mattter how closely I put it against the house I still worry as larger vehicles roll thru the alley. At least the first hit and runner left a note(can't say the same thing about the second)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Now you need to get yourself a green stant gas cap that says "Diesel" on it...

btw, where did you find the diesel sticker? I need to get one of those...

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
X2 for the sticker question....

Glad to see that you got this on the road. I don’t recall the last time I saw an A2 in the wild. I think they’re more scarce than A1s.

-Todd

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Hey there
I'm fairly certain I got the sticker on eBay
But I couldn't find it just now. And I even looked in my purchase history. Sorry guys!

Mk2s are scarce--especially ones that aren't complete beaters. Mk1s do seem to be floating around some.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, my dad did a tour of warren tech through the company he works for and suggested them. The guy in charge is really bad at getting back to me. He said they aren't doing full cars right now, only parts. I told him that I am fine taking individual parts off and giving them to him to work on since the car doesn't drive regularly and lives in the garage. But he hasn't responded to that. I have heard of Car Star and have called them, but I'm not sure it was the correct one. I have nothing but time with this car. I would like to know how much it would end up costing me so I know how much to save. I am also very capable of getting all trim off and getting it as prepped as possible to save me some money but I don't typically get good replies from people when I say that.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Looks like you might have gotten it from ECStuning or from VW directly, since it's a real VW decal.

Part # 1h0010092l

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Just driving this thing is fun... 1-3 times a week on a fifty mile round trip to work. Keeps things interesting. There will always be work to do on it, but right now it's the enjoyment of driving a working conversion--even though it's not done...probably never will be 'done'. Thanks all for the help. I'm sure that part isn't over either.