Mk2 Gti 1z conversion thread

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
o I had to hire some help since progress wouldn't occur at all if I had to find the time with this new kiddo
So here is a pic Sean at Platinum auto service sent me.
Re installing a rear main in hopes of remedying the oil pissing problem...

Should have her back on the road shortly and then I can finish up the swap details.
I've got a new (used) fa ecu and that may be the one that will eventually get the Kerma tune. But right now the hope is to run the proper matching ecu and eliminate the cel for the fifth injector.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yuck, changing rear main with everything in the car is no fun. Much easier to do when engine / trans are out of the car.

Good to hear you're getting back to your project. I'm hoping to have mine running by the end of this week.

Steve

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
I've been watching your car come together! Looking good! I drove mine to my folks house for the time being. Want to get the temp guage working first and then I'll be more comfortable motoring around town.

Still need to:
Fix the super short travel clutch (my guess is slave)
Get the speedo and tach working
Swap in the fa ecu (right now it's running with a cel on a BK)
Reinstall radio and sub
Dremel the instrument cluster bezel so it doesn't completely block indicator lights
Get the turns to flash in the cluster (they work on the outside)
Make sure the little drop of oil isn't getting any bigger (it's at the back so it may be oil turbo line)

I'm sure there's more, but the big stuff is pretty much done

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
So today I had ten minutes to tinker...so I tested the CTS and the ohms read out around 2k so it seems like it's in range based on the graph and the temperature of the car sitting for 24hrs. Checked the ground wire too and had continuity to the negative batt terminal.

So then I started the car (accidentally left the CTS unplugged) and my tach sprang to life!

The way I see it...I must have a crossed wire somewhere because when I plugged the CTS back in the tach was back to being dead. Next time I'm free I'm going to test the wires from the CTS back to the ecm and then go from there. I know the CTS itself runs both the temp guage and feeds the Ecs with temp data. Or perhaps the mk3 instrument cluster harness is the culprit ? Fun stuff! Just made me laugh when all of a sudden I had a working tach!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hey Brock
What is CTS you're talking about? I don't recognize the acronym.

Glad to hear you might have figured it out.

Steve

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Tach is working (I think on the regular now). And it started after some serious cold and a heavy snow blanket... Still working on the CTS wiring.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Update.

Been driving it around when I can
It's a lot of fun
Shifting could be smoother. Wondering if it's an issue with the bushings in the Corrado shift cables.?? 1st to 2nd is tough and finding reverse is sometimes a chore.

No leaks and the clutch travel has been improved upon by Anuthee at dieselland
Along with a correction in timing.

Still need to get down to the dmv to change the title to 'D'
So I can emission test it and re register it.

Put on relay kit for the headlights...she sees better than she ever has

Still have to work on the cluster wiring (intermittent tach and no speedo)

I got this kit from a vortex user. After driving it the light output is outstanding.
Probably not a good comparison being that one shot its dusk and the other it's dark, but I'm happy...
Before:

After:

Vwscream

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado 1Z, 97 1Z Passat, 85 Golf NA
Looking great. Have you looked into plug and play HID kits? I installed a set on my CORRADO with relay kit and made world of difference.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I relayed the headlights on my golf and love them. I am not a big fan of HID kits, I see more cars these days on the road with one headlight out than I ever did before the push for HIDs. I need to get another yellow bulb for my car as well. Yellow (not screamin' yellow) is your best bet when it comes to headlights as that is the closest wavelength to the Sun and thusly allows the human eye to see best at night. Look into swapping out the 02J trans or at least the shifting mechanism from the 02J. I spoke with Anuthee who was explaining that the 02J contains a double syncromesh that the 02A does not. This allows for more surface area that is contacting the gears in first and second gear. As you may or may not know, a popular upgrade for the B4s is swapping out the 02A shift tree for an 02J one.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
fyi, a CTN code 02A for a TDI is essentially an 02J without the mk4 specific mount bosses...it uses an 02J lsd for instance...

I relayed the headlights on my golf and love them. I am not a big fan of HID kits, I see more cars these days on the road with one headlight out than I ever did before the push for HIDs. I need to get another yellow bulb for my car as well. Yellow (not screamin' yellow) is your best bet when it comes to headlights as that is the closest wavelength to the Sun and thusly allows the human eye to see best at night. Look into swapping out the 02J trans or at least the shifting mechanism from the 02J. I spoke with Anuthee who was explaining that the 02J contains a double syncromesh that the 02A does not. This allows for more surface area that is contacting the gears in first and second gear. As you may or may not know, a popular upgrade for the B4s is swapping out the 02A shift tree for an 02J one.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Ohh really? How difficult is it to find one of those bad boys?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, so they are. So the only difference between the CTN and whatever the 02J is is the case? What about the syncromesh? Why would VW do that? What about the shift tower difference?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I relayed the headlights on my golf and love them. I am not a big fan of HID kits, I see more cars these days on the road with one headlight out than I ever did before the push for HIDs. I need to get another yellow bulb for my car as well. Yellow (not screamin' yellow) is your best bet when it comes to headlights as that is the closest wavelength to the Sun and thusly allows the human eye to see best at night. ...
Not to threadjack but I would agree with you about the HID issue with one caveat, that the aftermarket kits are priced reasonably enough that a failed unit can and usually would be fixed by the DIY crowd, it's the factory installed HID's that are outrageously expensive and deferred by vehicle owners. I see it all the time here too.

And Yes, yellow is the best color, that's why I never understood blue since it's the worst possible color for headlight bulbs.

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Why do you think the French made yellow mandatory in all vehicles until 2002?

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
As for the hid drop ins---I had a buddy give me a set and I took them out after a day. When the housing is made for halogen, it simply isn't good. Never mind blinding other drivers....the lighting is nowhere near the light that a true xenon projector emits.

As for the shifting of my car...I'm wondering if there's any adjustment/repair possible. I'm using Corrado shift cables (as I read on here the Passat cables would be too long). I welded the bottom part of the mk2 shift box onto the Corrado box. That way I could use the factory bolts to mount the shift box from underneath. The big issue is. On first reverse and 2nd. 2-5 shifts great.

When jhax says replace the "tree" are you referring to the mechanism that sits atop the transaxle itself? Is there any adjustment or wear parts there? Or are there bushing s and wear parts that need to be replaced in the box itself ? Or is there a need to adjust the cables somehow...? TIA.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the mechanism on top of the transaxle that the cables attach to.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
Well I guess my shifting difficulties were foreshadowing future issues. Rolling back from Mtn biking this broke when going to downshift.

The shift weight from the o2a ctn tranny is not easy to find.

So I guess this means the o2j upgrade is coming sooner than before!!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Well I guess my shifting difficulties were foreshadowing future issues. Rolling back from Mtn biking this broke when going to downshift.

The shift weight from the o2a ctn tranny is not easy to find.

So I guess this means the o2j upgrade is coming sooner than before!!
Any B3/4 Passat MT should have the same. I'm not confident on the early cars but I know that on the B4 MT VR cars it was the same since they had 02A as well.

Should be plenty out there, you'd probably be ok with Mk3 02A weight too (TDI or VR).

Steve

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
I did a mk4 up/stay the same grade and so have a whole shifter, tower, weight and cables. It worked fine but I decided to do the so called upgrade, may be slightly better but not sure it was worth the bother, anyway I digress.

I have the parts collecting dust so if you want them let me know and name your price.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
I did a mk4 up/stay the same grade and so have a whole shifter, tower, weight and cables. It worked fine but I decided to do the so called upgrade, may be slightly better but not sure it was worth the bother, anyway I digress.
I have the parts collecting dust so if you want them let me know and name your price.
Thanks. I'll let you know what direction I go.

Interesting that you aren't overly thrilled with the mk4 o2j setup. I guess I do remember reading some raving accounts and a few Luke warm ones too?? I may snag the mk4 setup from somewhere and source the b4 stuff locally. And just have the mk4 stuff as a back up--or until I need to get under the car for something else serious...thanks again!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks. I'll let you know what direction I go.

Interesting that you aren't overly thrilled with the mk4 o2j setup. I guess I do remember reading some raving accounts and a few Luke warm ones too?? I may snag the mk4 setup from somewhere and source the b4 stuff locally. And just have the mk4 stuff as a back up--or until I need to get under the car for something else serious...thanks again!
I have the 02J setup on the B3V conversion and for the money required to get all the stuff together (especially the Polo shifter box and parts from ECS) it's not worth it. The improvement over my Mk3 tdi shifter was marginal at best.

I invested over $300 in parts for the conversion and I doubt I do it on the Mk3 now when I do the 6th gear upgrade.

Steve

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
I have the 02J setup on the B3V conversion and for the money required to get all the stuff together (especially the Polo shifter box and parts from ECS) it's not worth it. The improvement over my Mk3 tdi shifter was marginal at best.

I invested over $300 in parts for the conversion and I doubt I do it on the Mk3 now when I do the 6th gear upgrade.

Steve
I hear ya. I think if I needed to buy the polo stuff I wouldn't even consider it. Al the guys swapping it in to mk2s either fab or or macgyver something to mount it. When I get a chance I'll be at some scrap yards hopefully solving this problem with minimal scratch

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I believe all '99 cars have the final iteration of a shift tower and weight that will bolt in and still use your original shifter cables.