MK2 ALH (Build Thread)

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

To maximize the top speed of the mk2 jetta with the relatively low hp of a diesel you could build it to moderately high 250 or so hp and emphasize aero improvements.

I'm thinking full belly pan made of aluminum , antenna and side mirror deletes ( use a wink style interior mirror and if you want to stay legal use small 2 inch spot mirror for side mirror if needed), super bird custom nose cone, kammback the trunk area, delete the black fender flares, pizza pan wheel covers, smooth and enclose the rear wheel wells, eliminate door handles and fill in, harder to do but chop the top and lean back the windshield and rake back the rear glass etc...

The body mods would be much easier to accomplish than Ultra high hp engine builds and awd conversion which I see you are giving up on.

Anyways, Aero can go a long ways towards increasing top speed without needing to add mega hp.

I'd love to see the mk 2 build because I have one and would love to put an alh tdi in and maybe a 6 speed if would fit ... going from 52 hp to even 135 hp or so would be awesome in such a light car.

Andrew

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Just thinking out loud here-- I will continue to post pics and explain what would work for anyone looking to do an ALH + Haldex swap, after I am done purchasing all the rallye suspension components for the GTI AWD. Then I will start on the Jetta and finish it first as my daily driver.

I guess a VNT-17 from eBay will do for the ALH mk2 Jetta. The 11mm VE pump will go in but I don't know what nozzles just yet... Definitely need to search and read. I will use the 3puck Spec clutch/flywheel and fmic off the TT too.

A complete oem+ rebuild will be done on the ALH since the motor had 400k on it. The diesel 02J (how this thread started) will go back in without a gear change and I will not be adding 6th gear. However a LSD would be proper. Good thing is the flanges of the 02J are a direct bolt on with CE2 Jetta's axles at 100mm. So I get to keep the Mille Miglia wheels after all.
I wouldn't recommend an eBay turbo, unless it's an oem one. I've seen way too high of a failure rate on them and would never put an el cheapo turbo on anything.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I wouldn't recommend an eBay turbo, unless it's an oem one. I've seen way too high of a failure rate on them and would never put an el cheapo turbo on anything.
I will be going with whatever is on the motor. I just cannot tell if it is a vnt15 or 17 equivalent-- https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/rotomaster-turbos.512152/#post-5632836

Whatevermuch power it will find with a light cam, nozzle, 11 pump, ported head, tune, and fmic, I will have to be happy with it.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
OK just for clarity your gonna run the mk1 tt rear haldex with out gear gear swap? And the mk1 tt 1.8t gearbox and just swap tdi gears into it? This 02c transfercase (unicorn)can it just be bolted right to the 02j? On the passenger axle cup flange?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Right the original plan started with the Jetta + ALH + Haldex & 02M with gear change from euro TDI 02M. But now the Jetta is receiving the original 02J that came out with the ALH motor.

I did find a whole 02C and it is roughly around $600 shipped. It is still on ebay. I have seen exactly one video on youtube showing how to accomplish an 02J + 02C transfer case.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
OK gonna have to look into more about it. But the tdi rear haldex has different gears also correct? I have a lifted Jetta on jeep springs and it def needs to be awd

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
You have an AWD from a tdi? Because mine was from a gas TT. You can purchase an aftermarket controller which would unharness the ability to mate with different transmissions. But it would have to be Haldex and not syncro unit unless you get the syncro transmission and rear diff (02C)

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
I have done alot of digging in Europe and I have found one I need it shipped to the states but I have a gas 02m 6 gang fed I just want more of a factory set up. Also the rear haldex from Europe. Guy is willing to pallet them up I'm waiting for a shipping quote

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
This is true but the gearing In The tdi diff is what wouldn't of worked but I am willing to import the tdi 4motion so I ain't swapping gears. And you can put a controller on the haldex and make it full rwd if you disconnect the front shafts. I definitely can be wrong but that's what I gathered

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
This is true but the gearing In The tdi diff is what wouldn't of worked but I am willing to import the tdi 4motion so I ain't swapping gears. And you can put a controller on the haldex and make it full rwd if you disconnect the front shafts. I definitely can be wrong but that's what I gathered

Hi

How hard / expensive is it to import a vehicle? I heard something about a 25 year rule?

I'm thinking that's probably the easiest way to get a car that has all the good stuff already made.

As far as licensing once here ?? ..

Andrew

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
There definitely is a 25-year roll my buddy had a 91 right hand drive Toyota MR2 here in the states and as far as importing one I don't know how hard or expensive it could be but parts are by far cheaper to import that is what makes him unique is doing the work yourself here in a few more years he'll probably be more running around but for now a few custom wands will have to work

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to be on the same page-- with a US Audi TT, you can swap in a diesel motor into the TT with a diesel transmission, and the rear haldex diff works just fine with a controller.

Hi

How hard / expensive is it to import a vehicle? I heard something about a 25 year rule?

I'm thinking that's probably the easiest way to get a car that has all the good stuff already made.

As far as licensing once here ?? ..

Andrew
I've looked into it and even bid on a syncro mk2 golf a couple of months back. But I lost the bid. Nonetheless prices have shot through the roof as the cars are just getting older and harder to find even in europe. If you want to import a chopped diesel mk4, it's cheaper. But euro enthusiasts know we are hungry for the older parts and they are making a good business of it.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
You need the rear diff with the letter af at the end of the past number and a diesel trans then I don't see why not they both are transverse mounted so fix ur tt get the 4 motion trans and diff and alh it first diesel tt maybe IDK food for thought

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI

I am no longer doing the ALH + TT haldex conversion. Saving the parts for a different build.

But it could be done without the rear diff being a TDI version, so long as you have a proactive controller to program it. MK1 Haldex rear diffs are the only version that have aftermarket support. Gen 2 Haldex rear diffs have no support unless you reprogram the unit yourself.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't believe it's been three months since I laid my hands on it. Someday I'm going to invest in an engine hoist instead of parting the motor to remove it. Got the head out the best way I know without having to deal with rusty intake/exhaust bolts.

Previous owner told me it had a blown head gasket gasket but that is not the case. I could've found where it was leaking and solved it; my stupidity believing him.

Hope everyone on this forum is doing well :)

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm definitely not making this easy on myself.. pretty much hellbent on taking out the motor and swapping the ALH without removing the front bumper.

Something tells me the bumper and flares will never line back up the way it is now. It erks me when I see a gap between big bumpers and the flares.

In other news: I got lucky with an R32 motor for the GTI 😬

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Did some debating whether to keep the original paint mainly due to the leaky sunroof/rusty roof/tape goo, having to sand it all down and then repaint the entire car and upping the budget, and decided to not.

The rest of the car is decent enough to daily so I purchased this pano to swap out the rusty roof. May be a first on an mk2 Jetta and I saved the budget not having to repaint the car 😅

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Kit needed for MK2 AWD swap - if you're looking to swap a 1st Gen Haldex rear diff, this kit will adapt to mk2 euro syncro/rallye golf suspension. Got this one shipped from EU but there are a few sites that carry them for a premium here in the US.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Confirmed details on varying flange diameters after some confusion on my end. Might help someone searching...

2.0L and ALH 1.9L TDI Mk4's are the only 02J variants equipped with 100mm transmission flange specifics from factory (USA). Europe has 2.0 Mk3's with the same flanges. Every other 02J/02M combination provides a 108mm flange.

All mk2 Jetta's/Golfs come equipped with 100mm flanges. The only variant that differs and is equipped with 90mm flanges are the 1.6L IDI NA/turbo diesels such as my '91.

Go figure why, luckily I can pull the 100mm bolt axles out of my Gti and it's one less thing I have to add to the ever growing parts list.

MrDave

Veteran Member
Except, maybe....
your mk2 came with the 020 rod shift transmission,
and the mk4's are an 02A cable shift transmission. so the axles 'should' be ok, but you can't swap flanges between the 020 and 02J.

-Dave

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Just find a mk3 or B4 tdi transmission. The B4 ctn code is a direct swap and identical to the 02j

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Except, maybe....
your mk2 came with the 020 rod shift transmission,
and the mk4's are an 02A cable shift transmission. so the axles 'should' be ok, but you can't swap flanges between the 020 and 02J.

-Dave
Yeab.. that is the exact situation. After much speculation I am back to swapping the ALH with 02J.

With the PD motor I have the option of using the 6pd euro tdi 02M that is included with the sale. 'Member when I wanted to swap dwx internals into a 5spd 02M with ridiculous power goals for the ALH ... I don't see how the extra weight and gear will benefit me with this now DD swap.

Just find a mk3 or B4 tdi transmission. The B4 ctn code is a direct swap and identical to the 02j
I was having this conversation with my parts guy. I live walking distance to Mets Stadium (Go Mets! 😓) and right across the street resided one of the largest salvage yards in the east coast.

Unfortunately all the shops were forced out in hopes replacing the area with a mall and hotel, which never happened due to their downfall across the country. I miss the 90's-'00s when I had the option to find any part I needed. The area to the right was dubbed the "iron triangle"...

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Im sure you can find something at an LKQ or UpullAndPay. Even Craigslist. I pulled just about everything on my current mk2 from a yard.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Im sure you can find something at an LKQ or UpullAndPay. Even Craigslist. I pulled just about everything on my current mk2 from a yard.
I do check on CL but chances are slim to non without a proper trip. Ebay works most times but not without the "rare" prices attached to most older parts. I have not personally seen a B4 for what seems like an eternity.

@jhax coincidentally found the brackets on here with deal pending. I think the stock MK2 diesel rear motor mount bracket might on the ALH. It's much slimmer in comparison to the mk3 bracket but hopefully not in strength.

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Good morning 🥺

All was good till tiny shards of chipped metal turns up under the crankshaft. Will conclude my findings once I have the internals gutted.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulled out piston #1 and these bits chimed onto the floor.. 😖

Other than that bit of frustration everything fit into this tub someone threw out. Every fourth nut/bolt is either stripped or corroded to chit on this car.

Rod bearing not as promising but I am glad the ALH is on path to a complete overhaul. Once I get the block and guts cleaned up I'll locate where those bits broke off.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Hah! Just noticed the envelope from my last traffic violation looks like a pokeball-- Gotta catch 'em all!

Without cleaning the grime off the block, I dont see where chunks of metal broke off. The thin profile and 90 angles suggest it's the lower main bearing. I checked the ones still on the block and the main caps, but they are all intact and do show casual/irregularities in wear from overtime usage. I also drove this ALH donor from CT to NY. Only conclusion I can muster is that this motor had a main bearing overhaul sometime in it's past, which begs the question what went down back then.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Spent a better portion of the day in the bathtub scrubbing 400,000 miles of gunk and grime 😓

More bad news out of this donor motor. Seems like a fixed dent... may need to fab up a shield if I want this one to last.

Maybe a good idea to paint it?