MK VII Dynamic Steering Retrofit

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Agreed, not a fan of snow, ice or the weather that brings them. Planning to drive some canyons tomorrow morning, or Angeles Crest Highway. Gonna play with front diff lock normal/sport setting. I'll see if I notice a difference. But the wife will be with me so won't be driving too aggressively.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Since XDS isn’t a real differential, but a braking system trick, it’s just useless in the snow. I have noticed that it will eventually give up and let you slowly power through.

Disabling ASR just works so much better. Which is why it’s disappointing VWoA seemingly removed the button on everything newer than 2013ish.

At the very least Bosch/VW could have programmed a “Snow” driving mode if they insist on forcing ASR and ESC. Which for the most part, I don’t mind.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Where did you get the GTD seats? Do you know if they're available in other colors?
Imported from the Netherlands, most of the details are in the link from my post. If you search Mk7 Art Velour and go to images you'll find them... some of my pics and also the red, which is the only other color I've ever seen.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The R seats only come in black. They seem to be same frames as gti but with pass side fore and aft motor. The velour might be available as just covers which would make shipping a lot less. Pretty easy to change covers if you used gti frames with bolsters and foam. You would have to use the correct foam as the s and se foam is quite different.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I looked for the covers, with someone else on the GolfMk7 forums trying to get red Art Velours... we could find what we thought were the right part numbers (although VW doesn't give good descriptions of them). We also weren't 100% confident the bolsters/foam was a match to GTI bolsters/foam but I would call it 95%. The real issue was that covers (whose part numbers we were unsure of) cost more than what I paid for seats, and more than the full set in that listing.

I don't know that it would be worth it to buy GTI seats then buy the Art Velour covers. Would be a lot of money and there doesn't seem to be much market for covers alone, of any type.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Stability control or traction control? those are two different systems. One allows wheel spin, the other allows car rotation without ABS applying a brake pad. Coding the that traction control button to ECS Sport and ECS OFF, and holding the button will show ECS OFF on the cluster, this will fully disable ABS input during yaw/sliding. ABS will still work when trying to lock up the wheels when braking, it'll just allow beautiful parking brake slides.

Also It's an open diff. XDS or XDS+ what not, is just how the ABS works to burn up your pads to mimic LSD, it's just fancy marketing term,

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Since XDS isn’t a real differential, but a braking system trick, it’s just useless in the snow. I have noticed that it will eventually give up and let you slowly power through.

Disabling ASR just works so much better. Which is why it’s disappointing VWoA seemingly removed the button on everything newer than 2013ish.

At the very least Bosch/VW could have programmed a “Snow” driving mode if they insist on forcing ASR and ESC. Which for the most part, I don’t mind.
Stability control or traction control? those are two different systems. One allows wheel spin, the other allows car rotation without ABS applying a brake pad. Coding the that traction control button to ECS Sport and ECS OFF, and holding the button will show ECS OFF on the cluster, this will fully disable ABS input during yaw/sliding. ABS will still work when trying to lock up the wheels when braking, it'll just allow beautiful parking brake slides.

Also It's an open diff. XDS or XDS+ what not, is just how the ABS works to burn up your pads to mimic LSD, it's just fancy marketing term,
I quoted the post to which I think @740GLE this is responding, just for clarity. This thread is all over the place, which I quite like, but it can make the responses confusing, haha.

And to add, is there even a way fully disable ABS? Not that I personally would want to but I've read that you can't really do it. Although you can code the ABS module to allow different ESC/ASR mode combinations via short/long press of the button, as you mentioned. I haven't changed the coding in my ABS for this yet, no snow in these parts to highlight any shortcomings of the system.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So our Alltrack has that "TCS" button, and in stock form simple press allowed some wheel spin but no yaw slide, a long press put it in "ECS Sport" this allowed some yaw sliding but not much before ABS kept you in control.

I wasn't coding the ABS module so short press put in in "ECS Sport", long press put it in "ECS OFF" allowing full send.

For those without TCS/ESC dedicated buttons, I believe you can still do same coding to allow changing via "soft button" on the infotainment system., similar to resetting TPMS. It's just a pain to do on the fly unlike the buttons.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
ASR = Anti-Slip Regulation = Traction Control
ESC = Electronic Stability Control

I don't believe you can truly completely disable ABS or ESC in our cars without modification (tune or fuse-pulling). But you can get ESC nearly completely off with some VCDS tweaks for drive-mode selections (as @740GLE stated) either via the MIB's Car menu or physical button:

golfdave said:
VCDS Coding:
  1. Select Control Module [Select]
  2. [03-ABS Brakes]
  3. Advanced Functions Select [Coding – 07]
  4. Select [Long Coding Helper]
  5. Select “Byte 29”
Now it will say 02 which is coding for only ASR OFF via the switch and/or infotainment. You can change it to:

Code = Default Value / Short Press / Press and Hold
01 = ESC & ASR ON / Blank / Blank
02 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / Blank (Standard for most Golf models.)
03 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / Blank
04 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC OFF / Blank
05 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF
06 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
07 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF
08 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
09 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC SPORT (Standard for GTI and R models.)

On some cars Bit values 01, 02, 08, 09 might be the same or interchangeable.
On some cars Bit value 08 might just be XDS OFF.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'll probably try 09 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC SPORT (Standard for GTI and R models.) and leave it there, just to have more options.

Somewhat adjacent to this, I had intended to try some different brake booster, hydraulic brake assist and straight ahead stabilization settings last weekend. Got out to Angeles Forest (onto 2 off the of the 138, if any of you are SoCal guys) and the temp dropped almost 30 degrees from getting off the highway to about 2 miles in.

At that point the wind was blowing snow off the trees onto the road (which had been cleared) but at ~20 degrees that was going to be ice in no time. I turned around and went home. I run all seasons so if it was just cold I might have taken a slow leisurely drive to enjoy the scenery (and not messed around with brake settings) but with ice... no way in [frozen] hell.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What makes ice so much fun is a road glazed with some black ice patches with 1/2 inch of powder snow on top.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They look like gti seats, the drawer means no under seat motors.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
They look like gti seats, the drawer means no under seat motors.
Yea they're just like GTI plaids but with no red, that's the GTD look, haha. There are also GTE plaids that replace the red with blue. They look pretty sweet, someone on Vortex has them in their Golf R.

My understanding is the none of the plaids come with any power features so that's expected. My Art Velours don't have any power features either. Makes sense, I suppose it's the reason Autobahn's get leather seats with power.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I paid 350 for my R seats, ebay from a seller that took the takata airbags out, so I had to pay another 50 for airbags on ebay. It then meant I had to put the seat back covers back on. They are from a 2018 R. Love the adjustments along with the up down lumbar feature. That was for front only, rears are leather gti. So the thread colors are different, silver thread front, red thread rear. Pidgas,

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I think I paid 350 for my R seats, ebay from a seller that took the takata airbags out, so I had to pay another 50 for airbags on ebay. It then meant I had to put the seat back covers back on. They are from a 2018 R. Love the adjustments along with the up down lumbar feature. That was for front only, rears are leather gti. So the thread colors are different, silver thread front, red thread rear. Pidgas,
I assume the Rs have bottom cushion tilt as well?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My Golf S seats had power recline and nothing else. But the standard (cloth) GTI/GTD are manual everything, with heating.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't even know what the topic of this thread is anymore, I still love it! But, the part number called out for a Golf TDI with dynamic steering is the same as the part number called out for all GTI's built after September 15, 2019. Below I have the link to the steering rack for a 2015 Golf TDI and a 2020 GTI. The description for the rack is Golf with Dynamic Steering, GTI all. The Performance Package became standard in 2019.

Of course, "early" 2019 GTI's would have been built in 2018 and sure enough if you look at a 2019 break down there is a part number for steering racks up to 9/15/2019 and another from 9/15/2019, and both are described as with Dynamic Steering. But up through 2018, the GTI breakdowns have part numbers for with and without Dynamic Steering (although I doubt any GTI's came without Dynamic steering).

Anyway, part number 5QM423053B can be picked up for around $1,000 new. Old news for this thread I know, but I'm more sure now.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All R sold here have leather, I don't think the sel came with the power lumbar. My R passenger seat has manual lumbar. The Audi a3 sport seats should bolt right in a mk7.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
All R sold here have leather, I don't think the sel came with the power lumbar. My R passenger seat has manual lumbar. The Audi a3 sport seats should bolt right in a mk7.
They will bolt in, but not plug and play...

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
all the power seat functions are plug and play as the constant supply for the seat back works all functions. the pass seat module under the seat has to be changed from your old seat. I haven't delt with the seat heater as the golf S wasn't wired for it. The air bag plug may/will need to be changed and maybe the seat belt plug.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Do you mean power seat functions for Golf R seats are plug and play? If so I would think yes, plus you have the experience.

But the thread I linked is about swapping in 8V platform seats, which you mentioned with the the A3. From his experience they were not plug and play.

I retrofitted heating with the seats I installed in my S. I bought a harness from Kufatec and it worked out perfectly. The Kufatec harness connectors fit into the open spot at the seat connection points... And the heating element plugs from my new seats plugged right in (I did verify pinouts before connecting). But it meant that I did not modify the factory wiring at all.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thats what I'll do with the seat heaters, order the harness, I have the switch panel but don't know if the bcm has the right pins, perhaps it does on the S. BTW, did you get your car aligned or were you waiting till after the rack change?