Missouri members

tristan21

TDI
01 Jetta 02 Jetta Wagon (dead/rolled)
Either the WorldWideWeb is a pretty small place or you really get around. I havnt been on DTR to chat in about 2 years.

I just sold my Cummins (I only put a 1000 miles on it last year and I still have my Duramax:eek: which also only saw about 2500miles on it last year) and so I bought this TDI wagon yesterday and was tryin to learn a little about these cars.

-Like where to get a tune done in the area? What will it cost? Will it hurt
anything? Can I gain any MPG with performance or just one or the other?
-How do I get the Monsoon VW stereo to control my iphone without it costing
$150-$300?
-Should I mess with the catalytic converter for HP or Performance?

Basic Newbie ?'s

Its good to see a familiar...uh .. name :cool:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
tristan21 said:
so I bought this TDI wagon yesterday and was tryin to learn a little about these cars.

-Like where to get a tune done in the area? What will it cost? Will it hurt
anything? Can I gain any MPG with performance or just one or the other?
-How do I get the Monsoon VW stereo to control my iphone without it costing
$150-$300?
-Should I mess with the catalytic converter for HP or Performance?
Tristan, you're actually in a pretty convenient place for most of your TDI needs.

Club member Ben Brendle, username vwjettadsl, runs AJ's TDI Sales and Service in Nevada, MO. He is also an authorized vendor for Diesel Inside, now called Malone Tuning. http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=13

Other popular TDI engine tuners are RocketChip (available mostly at get-togethers aka GTG east of the Mississippi) and Aligator (available mostly from West Coast vendors). But Diesel Inside has been around awhile and Mark Malone's tunes are easily customizeable.

Talk to Ben about the cost. But maybe decide what other modifications you have in mind. For instance, if you plan to upgrade the injector nozzles, then you should do that before remapping the engine computer.

No need to touch the exhaust system at all, or the intake either, until you have already made changes to the nozzles, tune, turbo, and intercooler. Some new members seem to think a CAI is the first thing to do, when it's really the last.

Almost forgot to mention Frank Irving, aka Franko6, over by Joplin. You will want to meet him, but hopefully you will not NEED to meet him. His specialty is rebuilding cylinder heads after timing belt failures.

tristan21

TDI
01 Jetta 02 Jetta Wagon (dead/rolled)
thanks Red. I appreciate the newb answers I know what a pain they can be.

Ive been workin in joplin,mo quite a bit lately so maybe I can hook up with Frank. The 140,000 I have on the car ands the belt has never been changed kinda worries me. I need to get it done before I drive it much at all. I dont know who would be best for that job in the area but next week im gonna send it out.

I just sold my 700rwhp 1300lbs cummins and I dont really wanna get as involved as that was. I logged hundreds of hours on Diesel Truck Resource when I got into that and I just dont have that kind of time to devote to a hobby anymore. 5 kids, 2 in high school, a wife, my job and I got ordained as a childrens minister and time is not one of the things I have alot of.:) In other words I may not make it to many GTG's but ill be everytime I need somethin. Thanks again.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
tristan21,
Make getting that timing belt changed your first priority.
Either Frank in Lockwood or Ben in Nevada are well equipped to do the job correctly the first time.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
TornadoRed said:
Other popular TDI engine tuners are ... Aligator
Thanks for posting the info. Just a small correction: Aligator IS Malone Tuning Ltd. :) Any vendors not listed on my dealers page do not sell authentic Aligator tunes.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Malone Tuning said:
Thanks for posting the info. Just a small correction: Aligator IS Malone Tuning Ltd. :) Any vendors not listed on my dealers page do not sell authentic Aligator tunes.
Thanks for straightening that out -- it seems like I asked someone once who should have known, but apparently he didn't. Or I misunderstood.

I think I have one of your tunes.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
tristan21,

Welcome to the TDIClub! If you want to learn more about your TDI then this is the best place to start learning. I'm sending you a Private Message/PM regarding some of your questions.

Cheers--Ben

mcoleman

TDI
99 NB
Hey Tristan what's up? I'll be grabbing larger injectors and my timing belt change from Frank Irving in Lockwood 417-232-4634 and the tune from Ben in Nevada. I've already spoken with Frank several times. Would already have it all done if not for the house issue. John has my truck at his shop. He made some valve body upgrades that he thought I would like and is fixing a pcm issue. We are also planning a new 2 1/2 downpipe without the cat with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and a aeroturbine 2525 muffler for the Beetle. Not wanting 12s out of this one but more power is a must. LOL Mileage is staying in the 44-47 mpg range on it so far. Considerably better than the Wife's lifted Wrangler we sold.

Last edited:

LadiesMan217

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS TDI
Hey is there anyone near Springfield that has changed a thermostat before? I need help to change mine out because its sticking giving me only 155 degrees running temp. I could really use someones experienced help.
- thanks guys

LadiesMan217

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS TDI
LadiesMan217 said:
Hey is there anyone near Springfield that has changed a thermostat before? I need help to change mine out because its sticking giving me only 155 degrees running temp. I could really use someones experienced help.
- thanks guys
Got it taken care of...:D

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
I live in Wnetzville, MO I work in Ofallon, MO
Any help or tips fixing my sun roof and windows for my 2001 beetle TDi will be appreciated. lol

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's great to find out that there are people here in St. Louis who know what they are doing...I bet Oilhammer must be good for you to drive all the way from Wisconsin. Thanks for the info.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nah, I get Golfs, Jettas, NBs, etc. from far away too. I have a Jetta here from Memphis, TN now. Everyone is welcome here. :)

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I have lived in Maplewood, High Ridge and Chesterfield. But I just bought a house in Lake St Louis (call it O'Fallon). I also added an '85 MB 300sd in April. What a boat!

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Does anyone here in St. Louis have a vag-com cable? I really need to use it, I just got my head back and need to set up my timing. Can anyone help me out please?

ensanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 1999.5, black
Springfield mo here. I work at the Autozone on West Chestnut and drive a 99.5 black Jetta TDI RC3+ & VNT17 and a 05 Liberty CRD.

rc80

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 05 Passat Wagon
Finally joined the owners club.. Sure has taken a long time.
Lurked a few years :D

Anyway, I have a couple Jettas..
99.5 - Red 5spd
03 - White Auto

Crestwood here.

TDI_KC

TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS
I am from the KC area and I just bought my second New Beetle TDI this past weekend. I love my first one and had to have another one. My current one is a 2002 model. It is a little bit overdue for the timing belt so that is my first order of business. I'm looking forward to getting to know some other TDI owners in the area.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I am from the KC area and I just bought my second New Beetle TDI this past weekend. I love my first one and had to have another one. My current one is a 2002 model. It is a little bit overdue for the timing belt so that is my first order of business. I'm looking forward to getting to know some other TDI owners in the area.

Howdy neighbor!