Mission impossible... finding a good dealer in NE.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I am looking to buy a new TDI. Is there a dealer in ME, southern NH or eastern MA that folks can recommend one go to, sales or service? I know where the Guru's are for service, I am concerned about delivery setup.
I know there are many to stay away from. The only one I have heard anything positive about is Colonial in Westborough, MA, but that is a bit far from my home in mid-coast ME.
Thank you,

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
chris at Langhorne is well regarded around here - Philly area if i'm not mistaken. Some say that it's worth the travel to deal with him

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
A guy at work bought his 2010 from a place in MA because he saved thousands, and he checked a lot of places in Maine first. I can ask if you'd like, but he has his serviced at Morong's in Brunswick. I know the parts guy (Kurt) who is very knowledgeable and gives me a pretty good deal when I need them, but like any dealership, some of their service quotes make my wallet shake with fear. I have been to O'Connor's in Disgusta and they seem decent to buy parts from, but I have never had any service work done there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

2009TDIx2

TDI
Two 2009 Jetta TDI Sedans
Bought both of my Jetta TDI's at Colonial in Westborough. They were very competitive on price and I have had them do all the service to date. Cars now have 55K and 38K on them. We've been quite happy with the cars and Colonial. My wife just had them do the Mass Inspection Sticker and they did it for free with a car wash.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
At one point colonial was one of the best service centers in the country. Their sales team was as crooked as they come, but they all got fired and replaced with new management that I hear is much better. Quirk VW is also excellent. I've had no issues with their VW service.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
chris at Langhorne is well regarded around here - Philly area if i'm not mistaken. Some say that it's worth the travel to deal with him
I have contacted Chris, he is 20 min north of Philly. He had some good numbers, and the only one with the car in the color/options I want. I was hoping to support locally if I could find a quality dealer, otherwise he will get my businsess.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I initially worked with Colonial VW of Medford and they wouldn't budge from sticker. I even showed them offers I had for invoice at other dealers and they would not match even though they said they would.

Ended up working with Aaron Tringuk at Patrick Volkswagen and Saab. Very good experience working with them - no hassle. Called him up, told him what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay and he had it there for me three days later. He even beat the AAA financing I had. I ended up with a 2011 JSW TDI with pano and portos for ~$25.9k before tax and title. They are located in the Auburn/Worcester area.

The sales guy that closed the deal for me even sat down with me (an hour after they closed on a friday) and showed me the functions of the car and got everything setup including the bluetooth.

Funny thing was the car I ended up with was the one I was trying to purchase from Colonial. Patrick had swapped it with one on their lot to get me what I needed.

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
A guy at work bought his 2010 from a place in MA because he saved thousands, and he checked a lot of places in Maine first. I can ask if you'd like, but he has his serviced at Morong's in Brunswick. I know the parts guy (Kurt) who is very knowledgeable and gives me a pretty good deal when I need them, but like any dealership, some of their service quotes make my wallet shake with fear.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Hi neighbor, you are the first person I have heard say anything positive about Morong's, most refer to the dealership as Moron's.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Ended up working with Aaron Tringuk at Patrick Volkswagen and Saab. Very good experience working with them - no hassle. Called him up, told him what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay and he had it there for me three days later. He even beat the AAA financing I had. I ended up with a 2011 JSW TDI with pano and portos for ~$25.9k before tax and title. They are located in the Auburn/Worcester area.
I bought my Golf from Patrick, one of the owners sons was my sales person. Based on my sales experiance, and after sales service... I will NEVER set foot in that dealership EVER! One of my co-workers was working on his MBA, he said one of his business examples was Patrick Motors.. they were an example on how NOT to do business.
Glad to hear your experiance is better, a friend of my just bought his 2011 JSW there and said they were under new management and had treated him well... but I just won't go back.

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I intended to purchase my car from PC VW in Brockton, however I ended up in Langhorne Pa for my JSW

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Hi neighbor, you are the first person I have heard say anything positive about Morong's, most refer to the dealership as Moron's.
I do as well most of the time, but it's only because it sounds good...sort of rolls off the tongue.

They were of no help back in '96 when I was looking to custom order a Jeep, but I am unsure as to now. I can ask Kurt about whom to talk to regarding a purchase if you would like. I trust his judgement, but he's only in Parts.

The next time you're in the area, give me a shout.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
I bought my Golf from Patrick, one of the owners sons was my sales person. Based on my sales experiance, and after sales service... I will NEVER set foot in that dealership EVER! One of my co-workers was working on his MBA, he said one of his business examples was Patrick Motors.. they were an example on how NOT to do business.
Glad to hear your experiance is better, a friend of my just bought his 2011 JSW there and said they were under new management and had treated him well... but I just won't go back.
i also purchased a car from patrick motors years ago. slimy buggers, for sure.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I still like Minuteman in Bedford Mass. It's like the dealership my dad went to in to 60s and 70s. A friend bought a JSW off the lot (same day delivery) for a very good price!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I am going to recommend Paul Clark VW in Brockton. Paul is a straight-up guy, a personal friend from years back and while I haven't bought from him, I believe that he'll tell you what he can and can not do. That is all I ask from my dealer and service person. If you want a contact PM me.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The only dealer that supports this FREE site is Chris at Langhorne...

And as far as supporting the commonwealth not for me any more.

As for service any dealer has to. Your choice many of us buy the car and NEVER go back to the dealer.

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
Quirk VW is also excellent. I've had no issues with their VW service.
Can tell you that the sales experience was poor, based on my experience w/ the young assistant general manager. The service was less than ideal also: while waiting for service, the SM was able to crank two customers into a frenzy.
So, based on this sales and service experience, my service trips are taken to Paul Clark, in Brockton. If I must have dealer service, I will go to PC. Just my personal experience...

ARDailey

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDi / 2017 GSW 4Motion
I still like Minuteman in Bedford Mass. It's like the dealership my dad went to in to 60s and 70s. A friend bought a JSW off the lot (same day delivery) for a very good price!
Plus one for Minuteman. Service, while pricey, has been great.

Got my 2010 JSW in September of 09. Runs pissah!

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
I bought my 2011 JSW at Quirk in Manchester, NH, and had a good sales experience. No hassles, they met the price I wanted, and drove away in the car. Now, the salesman I had was a rational, no pressure kind of guy and working with him was painless. OTOH, he is not there anymore... maybe not cut out for the car biz :) Service-wise, I've had 2 of the free service appointments and they seem to have done what needed to be done and the experience was fast and painless. No warranty issues to date so can't comment on that. I will admit that, once the free services are done, they won't see the car again. It will go to Herm or another known guru... I'll just sleep better knowing it's in good hands.

Thor

TDI
Jetta 2000 black
I bought mine at Minuteman VW in Bedford Ma in 2000 , got a good deal there and good service, sale person was Michelle Griffin she ws really nice

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
At one point colonial ... sales team was as crooked as they come,.....
That sounds like the voice of experience...;)

I bought my first Passat (used) in '97 from Wellsley VW and never went back.
I bought my current Passat (used) from Seacoast VW (Greenfield, NH) and never went back.
I use Patrick for parts that aren't readily available through aftermarket sources. I call up with a part number and they order it. They no longer question what the part is or why I want it, they just take the order and call me when it / they come in.

MaddogTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, United Grey, 6M
I bought from Wellesley VW last June(2011). Very good experience on price, finding and getting the exact car I wanted, and going way above and beyond to work with their Toyota dealer connections to get me the trade in $$$ I wanted for my 2010 Tundra.

Salesman was Aruelio... Great guy. No pressure. Worked hard to get me the right price and find what I wanted by trading with a dealer in CT. Would highly recommend the buying experience there.

Now... As far as service goes... Not crazy about the service advisor I worked with for the 10k service. Still deciding if I want to go back. May skip the remainder of my free service and see if Mr. Chill is taking on new patients.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I am going to recommend Paul Clark VW in Brockton. Paul is a straight-up guy, a personal friend from years back and while I haven't bought from him, I believe that he'll tell you what he can and can not do. That is all I ask from my dealer and service person. If you want a contact PM me.
My experience at Paul Clark VW ~2 wks ago was not good. Although I didn't talk with Paul directly, I called and spoke directly with the Internet Sales Manager after receiving an E-mail. I asked if his online inventory was accurate and was told that it was. Then I asked if a specific Opera Red/ Titan Black Passat TDI SE 6spd Manual was still available and was told that it was. I asked if I could take a look at it and that I was in route from Boston and was told sure. When I arrived about 30min later, the Internet Sales Manager was not around after being Paged twice. Then I was passed to another sales person who told me that the Passat wasn't there because it had been swapped. He pulled a JSW around and told me that they were mechanically exactly the same so I should drive it to see if I liked it. I told the salesman that I called in advance specifically not to waste anyone's time, especially MINE!!! and left. BTW, the Opera Red Passat TDI still shows up in their online inventory. I hate being Jerked around by dealerships.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
When we were shopping we found that Seacoast, VW in Greenland had very competitive pricing. The sales person we dealt with (Denise) seemed nice. The problem was that they simply couldn't or wouldn't find the car that we wanted. So eventually we decided to go to Philly to see Chris. After travel expenses it wasn't any cheaper but he found the car that we wanted. Since we didn't complete the deal with Seacoast I can't say if they would have tried to screw us over in the end, but there initial pricing was certainly good. I would have liked to keep our money local, but they wouldn't or couldn't do the work to find a specific car for us. I'd give them another shot if we ever buy a new VW again.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
FWIW, there is a new VW Dealership (Metro VW) at the intersection of rt 44 and 495 in Middleboro/Lakeville. My only experience with them is that looked up a radio code for free (so they can't be that bad, right?).

For sourcing VW parts that you cant get from a club vendor, I use www.ezvwparts.com. They are a VW dealer on Long Island with prices equal or less than 1stVWparts.com and normal delivery time of about 2 days after you place an order.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
When I was shopping for my new 2001 Golf I stopped in at Minuteman. Yes, they let me drive a couple of cars, but then they all but brought out the cliche car sales textbook. The sales guy really asked me: "What would it take to put you in a car today?" Then, he said he'd be back in a few minutes, as his manager sat down to grill me. So long.

I bought my Golf from VW of North Attelboro, a dealer I cannot say enough bad things about. Awful sales experience, awful service experience.

Northshore VW used to be among the worst, but thankfully it burned down and did not reopen. I am glad that no one was injured.

Seacoast VW near Portsmouth, NH seemed more genuine and friendly toward customers than most, but I was only having some free TSB work done there. I spoke to a sales guy while waiting and he seemed quite laid back and nice. But then, I wasn't trying to get his price down.

Seems to me that travelling to Langhorne is not unreasonable if you get a good deal. Take the train. Chris would probably meet you at the station (or airport).

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Kinda funny... we were in a rush. We beat him to it and said "What would it take to put [her] in this car today?" We used a few more car salesman cliches on him... didn't get us free floor mats, though....

We also called him on the BS with his manager. We knew all the prices, and had good info on what TDIClub peeps have paid for similar cars. I know the OP will have all that info as well...

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all for your replies and comments. Sounds like there is actually more "acceptable" dealers in the area than I thought there were. I am going to visit two of the better rated dealers and see what they have to say. Otherwise I am going with Chris @ Langhorne.