Missing tray

MoBeau

TDI
2015 Golf tdi MK7
For my 80,000 mi oil change, I was in a time crunch. Took my tdi MK7 to to “5 minute oil change”. Had to bring my own oil filter,(That should have been a Red Flag!). A week later I thought I noticed the underbody tray loose on one side. Today I noticed it’s gone! WT#?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I've got the Alltrack belly pan on my car so not much concern that a service center will forget to put it back on... But they never put back all the little black screws 😡😡😡. And most of the time they lose/forget to reinstall the washers on at least a couple of the large bolts too, ugghhh.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the alltrack belly pans uses no washers

4 added bolts up front for the core support bracket and same 3 bolts out back. then about 9 t25 zip screws into speed clips like the orginal pan.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
the alltrack belly pans uses no washers

4 added bolts up front for the core support bracket and same 3 bolts out back. then about 9 t25 zip screws into speed clips like the orginal pan.
I'm going to stop you there since you didn't install the belly pan on my car. I can however tell you who did install it... it was me, I did. And I picked up stainless steel bolts and washers for my install.

I certainly wasn't asking you what it takes to install one. It has been installed on my car for a few years now 🤷🏿‍♂️. Maybe news to you, but I would be in the best position to know if there are washers on the bolts on my car.

And the DIY I followed...

If you intend to make some argument about how a service center doesn't need to reinstall washers when there wouldn't be washers there from the factory... then by that same logic they don't need to reinstall my belly pan at all since it wasn't there from the factory. But they do reinstall it every time. And they use my stainless steel bolts and they forget washers.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
For my 80,000 mi oil change, I was in a time crunch. Took my tdi MK7 to to “5 minute oil change”. Had to bring my own oil filter,(That should have been a Red Flag!). A week later I thought I noticed the underbody tray loose on one side. Today I noticed it’s gone! WT#?
I'm curious if the "5 minute oil change" used the appropriate VW507 oil. If they didn't have the proper oil filter, I doubt they had the right oil.. just my opinion..

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - that's the one that would concern me. If you don't stock a VW filter, do you stock VW-spec oil?
(Granted, the 507.00/504.00 is used on a LOT of the VW cars - pretty much anything that has a turbo in the last decade, so maybe they do have that, but with the CRUA TDI being a one-and-done model year.....I guess it's possible.)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've got the Alltrack belly pan on my car so not much concern that a service center will forget to put it back on...
That'd actually be a bigger concern for me - forget the cheap flimsy belly pan....meh, whatever. Probably find one off a wreck if I needed to.
But if they keep that AllTrack pan that cost me $500+.....not gonna be happy.

(Also, it'd never happen because I'm the only one who works on my cars. :D)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@Nuje yeah you missed out on when the getting was good, I think that was 2017 when these belly pans were on eBay for $99 with free shipping from Germany. Somebody probably got fired.

I'm actually willing to do everything on my car except the things that really matter for long-term reliability, 😂.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm going to stop you there since you didn't install the belly pan on my car. I can however tell you who did install it... it was me, I did. And I picked up stainless steel bolts and washers for my install.

I certainly wasn't asking you what it takes to install one. It has been installed on my car for a few years now 🤷🏿‍♂️. Maybe news to you, but I would be in the best position to know if there are washers on the bolts on my car.

And the DIY I followed...

If you intend to make some argument about how a service center doesn't need to reinstall washers when there wouldn't be washers there from the factory... then by that same logic they don't need to reinstall my belly pan at all since it wasn't there from the factory. But they do reinstall it every time. And they use my stainless steel bolts and they forget washers.
Thanks for stopping me.

So the shop isn't used to your non standard install. To them a belly pan is a belly pan, they probably didn't even notice a difference in the weight, you only tossed them the curve ball by installing unnecessary washers.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Thanks for stopping me.

So the shop isn't used to your non standard install. To them a belly pan is a belly pan, they probably didn't even notice a difference in the weight, you only tossed them the curve ball by installing unnecessary washers.
A curve ball? If you remove a screw/bolt and into your hand comes a washer... it only makes sense to put the washer back 🤷🏿‍♂️. Whether they notice the difference in weight of the stock belly pan vs mine is of zero relevance.

If they decided to look up the hardware that needed to be there, then replaced my non-standard hardware that would be very different. But they don't do that, nor do I expect that from them.

The factory bolts are flanged so no additional washer necessary. My stainless bolts are not flanged, so the washer is necessary... which is why installed them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For all the OEM plus you have on the ride, I'm surprised you didn't stick with the good enough stock flanged bolts.